IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

@pkane2001 I was being utterly facetious. Previous suggestions have included word filters (For example MQA in any spacing or attempt at phonetic spelling automatically changes to :nomqa:) and a passworded romper room for the overexuberant to battle test their commanding grasp on the vile lower rung of personal expression with gentlemen of like mind. 

Carry on with the group therapy session and pay me no mind. 

Ok, I do have one almost on topic idea. Volunteers to retrieve the detritus of numerous software updates from their unusable state. At one point these articles and assorted other resources were referenced broadly by unaccounted for audiences.  Everyone who has mentioned @austinpopshould be imitating his community spirit instead of post-dating complaints. ;)

28 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Computer keyboards don't kill after all.

Sure, but it suppose fun for all people doing there HOBBY. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

CA has survived, and thrived if you like, so far without moderation. That's what enduring about the place. There are posters I can't stand, even on ignore, much like family, you don't get to chose and have to put up with behaviour that's incompatible with your own. Put up with it, or speak out are choices.

The reason moderation is considered, if there's a parallel opinion and the paths don't meet. This is not Jihad.. There are those of equally divided polar opinions that won't give an inch either way, 'because it's what I hear, it did make a change and am happy with it' or at 180 degrees 'that's how it works, science says so, it's all in your head'. To find moderation in between two completely opposing views is a challenge in itself and why, honestly, would anyone take on that extra level of stress? And for free? The battle rages on and on, and the only way is to lock the thread, although it's still possible to create a reaction after the thread is locked..(!!).

Head-Fi have a Forum section that's DBT free. Anyone can talk about their experiences with cables, DACs impressions on any gear related to audio playback. Any mention of challenging the opinion with a DBT post is removed. If you don't like what's posted in the DBT Free thread, don't go there. Is this section worth looking at for CA? Subjective opinions are important, because no one among hobbyists has the resources of $$$,$$$ worth of gear to test, and are those measurements a yardstick of good performance anyway? Does it mean 0.001% is worse than 0.00099%? By the sheer numbers of equipment that's manufactured, that doesn't appear to be the case. 

Well stated.  There is no "moderation" between these two different understandings of reality, not in any significant and worthwhile sense.  Some say objectivists and subjectivists should "learn" from each other but that is idyllic.  I have learned very little form subjectivists (mostly just negative examples - how not to do, or think about something), and quite a bit from objectivists.  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

8 minutes ago, rando said:

@pkane2001 I was being utterly facetious. Previous suggestions have included word filters (For example MQA in any spacing or attempt at phonetic spelling automatically changes to :nomqa:) and a passworded romper room for the overexuberant to battle test their commanding grasp on the vile lower rung of personal expression with gentlemen of like mind. 

Carry on with the group therapy session and pay me no mind. 

Ok, I do have one almost on topic idea. Volunteers to retrieve the detritus of numerous software updates from their unusable state. At one point these articles and assorted other resources were referenced broadly by unaccounted for audiences.  Everyone who has mentioned @austinpopshould be imitating his community spirit instead of post-dating complaints. ;)

WTF.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

There are other sites where differing viewpoints aren't tolerated. A strength of this site is that it is diverse. Diversity breeds conflict but that is the cost of maintaining diversity.

There is simply no getting around this.  However, there is a minority (majority?  I don't think so but I could be wrong) that simply don't want this reality...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I haven't voted yet. Why? Because I would like to know why (within reason) @The Computer Audiophile posed the question. Is it becoming too much work, is it a distraction, etc.? The site seems to run just fine with only a few blowhards. BUT, I don't participate in many of the threads so...

@The Computer Audiophile do what you feel best. If you decide to have moderators, please see that they are of moderate :) temperament and not dictatorial.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I've seen very similar problems on other forums. At some point every technical and enjoyable topical subject has been examined to the point of becoming threadbare. Nearly everyone knows nearly everyone else which results in deeper and more personal awareness for better or worse. The only major component in this I see missing is a comprehensive easily searchable local database to direct less proficient users towards. 

The band of regulars mentioned above creates enough problems for moderation. However, what really seems to be the driving force here is a division between those looking for a healthy open forum that shakes off familial scuffles and the survivors of early message boards who's ideals are at direct variance with the above.

Thanks for the Christmas card v. GFYM you #!*&%'ing tin eared moron. 

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

If Chris wants to enlist help then that's fair enough. Jud is an excellent nomination. Likewise, I'd add Firedog into the mix. And Austinpop is an obvious candidate. Assuming of course they were interested. But I think a track record for even handed and well reasoned posting in line with the spirit of this forum should be key.

+1

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I don't like moderation in general. However, there have been more than a few instances where trolls insist on posting their views in threads despite being told by the OP or CC that their posts are inappropriate and/or off topic. I "moderate" their behaviour by placing them on the Ignore List. Unfortunately, if quoted in replies, those posts are still visible. It would be nice if there was a way to hide posts of those on Ignore Lists even when included as a quote.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

10 hours ago, Abtr said:

I would remove the content of an offending post or posts and replace it with a short explanation in red, such as "Ad hominem attack removed" or "Off topic content removed." This way moderation would be more visible which may have an extra preventive effect.

In some cases, perhaps just the offending part of the post ?

Why do  some of you guys feel the need to use stuffy dead Latin language phrases such as Ad Hominen  ? 

Surely it can be said even more effectively in plain English for the non technical members who would appear to be in the majority in this forum ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I voted "NO" in the Poll but in reality I'm mostly indifferent to the idea of having more moderators. I come to Audio Forum XYZ strictly as a form of entertainment and amusement in my free/down time.

As such, I dont take anything I read/see on audio forums to heart. Actually I may be in the minority here by saying this but, I actually find the Trolls entertaining....to a point. I cant think of anything I read here that bothered me enough which resulted in me in stressing over it for more than a few seconds at most. I would only offer others to try and do the same.

Its just Audio/Gear folks, were not taking/saving lives!

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Why do  some of you guys feel the need to use stuffy dead Latin language phrases such as Ad Hominen  ? 

Surely it can be said even more effectively in plain English for the non technical members who would appear to be in the majority in this forum ?

This is a specific logical fallacy. This is the short effective way of saying what they want to. You are on an audio debate forum. I'd take the opportunity to learn some of them. It would help your arguments and understanding. I mean no disrespect.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz