IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, 4est said:

This is a specific logical fallacy. This is the short effective way of saying what they want to. You are on an audio debate forum. I'd take the opportunity to learn some of them. It would help your arguments and understanding. I mean no disrespect.

4est

I take what you have said in the spirit that you have intended , however you may have noticed that  recently there has been WAY less use of either of those terms in this forum with members from many different countries and different levels of education.

The vast number of non USA members are unlikely to have even participated in a school Debating team.

Logical Fallacy is also a term often used by both sides which is also abused, and often used when the poster doesn't have a proper detailed answer.

FFS, they don't even use Ad Hominen or Logical Fallacy in Parliamentary debates in most countries !

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Logical Fallacy is also a term often used by both sides which is also abused, and often used when the poster doesn't have a proper detailed answer.

FFS, they don't even use Ad Hominen or Logical Fallacy in Parliamentary debates in most countries !

You can bet most all of them know what they are though.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 minutes ago, 4est said:

You can bet most all of them know what they are though.

Yes, many of them will, but in modern multi cultural countries a large number of the constituents that they represent won't .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

10 minutes ago, 4est said:

it is called an ad hominem, "attacking the man" or some such. Just to bring it back around and wrap it.

IOW, a Personal Attack .

Why is that so hard to say when moderating , when so many members already accuse a select few of engaging in this type of behaviour ?

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Perhaps a notification could be sent to the "offending" poster giving him/her the opportunity to edit their original post and reposting?

That would be an ideal situation, but editing would probably not be possible with current Forum S/W as the time limit on editing of the post would need to be restarted (or removed?)  again, and even then the OP may no longer be online, perhaps due to different time Zones.

4 minutes ago, rickca said:

How about a limit on the number of posts you can make per day?  I can hear the screams already.  It would encourage people to make more thoughtful posts and constrain the annoying number of trivial posts from some of the most prolific users.  It would also reduce the frequency of insult trading incidents and the need for intervention by a moderator.

Of course the owners of sponsored threads would be exempt, and user posts in those threads wouldn't count toward your limit.  Maybe paying CA subscribers could get a higher limit.  Similarly, authors of front page articles would be exempt.

I certainly wouldn't support anything that might hurt @The Computer Audiophile's business.  Clearly, there are some downsides to this proposal.  There are legitimate reasons people want to make a lot of posts on any given day.  Maybe a weekly limit would work better.

It's a potential control mechanism that could be an alternative to more moderation.

I sorta love this idea, although I haven't thought it all through. It might cure a lot of issues in one fell swoop!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

5 minutes ago, 4est said:

I sorta love this idea, although I haven't thought it all through. It might cure a lot of issues in one fell swoop!

That's the intention.  It grows on me the more I think about it.  I have 3000 posts myself, but that's over more than 6 years.

I just updated it to also exempt developers doing product support for things like HQPlayer or AudioLinux.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

FFS, they don't even use Ad Hominem or Logical Fallacy in Parliamentary debates in most countries!

Of course you won't see the terms used during a Parliamentary debate, Alex. They are used to describe the nature of the content of a debate or post; they are not part of the content itself. It is no different from describing a post as a personal attack. You won't see the words "personal attack" in the offending post. Ad hominem is clearly understood to refer to an attack on the person, when a debate is supposed to challenge a person's argument or ideas.

By now you surely know what ad hominem means, so I don't understand why you get upset when someone uses the term appropriately. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

44 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Of course you won't see the terms used during a Parliamentary debate, Alex. They are used to describe the nature of the content of a debate or post; they are not part of the content itself. It is no different from describing a post as a personal attack. You won't see the words "personal attack" in the offending post. Ad hominem is clearly understood to refer to an attack on the person, when a debate is supposed to challenge the person's argument or ideas.

By now you surely know what ad hominem means, so I don't understand why you get upset when someone uses the term appropriately. :) 

You will often  see the words " personal attack" in a reply to a few members.

This is an International AUDIO Forum, NOT a  U.S.A. style  Debating team , or a Courtroom.

Do you use these phrases there too, or do you use normal English or (French as applicable ) in Canada  ?

I doubt that one solicitor/lawyer often tells the opposing solicitor/lawyer that his is a Strawman argument either.:P

It's hard enough for many whose first language isn't English without also making them Google dead Latin phrases as well as the intended meaning of some posts by a few other members.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Duplicate deleted

12 minutes ago, Allan F said:

When discussing electronics you use technical terms that are not necessarily understood by others, including me. I don't expect you to "dumb down" your content for those who may not follow what you have to say.

With respect, I believe that this is more an assumption on your part than anything else. I don''t recall anyone else complaining about the use of ad hominem. In fact, Latin is more familiar to many whose first language is not English than it is to those whose first language is English.

Allan

It's too bloody hot here at present to argue about such stupid things.

You didn't answer my question about the use of " Strawman Arguments" in court either.

I am always quite happy to spell out any abbreviations used if asked.

Haven't you heard of the K.I.S.S.   Principle ? 

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Allan

It's too bloody hot here at present to argue about such stupid things.

You didn't answer my question about the use of " Strawman Arguments" in court either.

It's 5°C in Vancouver. BTW, I answered your question in my edited post. The KISS principle generally works, but some people are too thick to understand the simplified version. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

18 minutes ago, Allan F said:

It's 5°C in Vancouver. BTW, I answered your question in my edited post. The problem with the KISS principle is that some people are too thick to get the simplified version. :)

I like the far more colourful language bit ! :)

Now to back in front of the hot air circulator, A.K.A. a Fan.

The rest of this house has A/C. but the one in this room is deceased .:$

AT LEAST 3 more days of this, with Western Sydney >40C and a few places exceeding 48C :o

Cooranbong weather..jpg

On 12/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, AudioDoctor said:

IMO the only moderating that should be done is the personal attacks. Some people need to realize/remember we are here to discuss something that brings us joy and while we can disagree on the specifics of the how, the end result is the same for each of us as individuals in our own systems. We're not all listening to one system and trying to bend it to our will, we each have our own and differing opinions are just fine.

Well said Doc!

JC