IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, matthias said:

No, every OP is the moderator of his/her own thread.

If they aware of this CA 'practice.

Where do they learn?

Maybe long time (never?) for newbie to run across some mention of subject in dusty corner of CA :(

Maybe 'sticky' post somewhere logical? Maybe in text in 'New Topic' window? Or ??

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

For the most part I view moderation as keeping topics on topic. This means, if the OP wants a purely objective topic, a moderator would remove the purely subjective comments per the OP's wishes. 

We will never moderate opinions if left in the right place and without a personal attack. 

I'm fine with moderating threads I start. Does the thread originator get notice of any new comment on a thread they start?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 minutes ago, esldude said:

I wouldn't always leave.  Sometimes the moderation is correct about something I've posted.  

That would never happen to me -- I'm always right ? You'll notice that I said I'll leave if my posts are being moderated when I believe they are appropriate. It's a matter of trust. If I can't trust site moderators or their motivations, then I have no desire to stay and fight censorship. I have no problem accepting the thread owner's desire to moderate their own thread.

3 hours ago, Music Enthusiast said:

It will become a major problem when someone posts about some manufacturers product. As we could potentially have a loose cannon representing somebody's product unfairly. Or the OP could be a friend of that manufacturer who deletes any posts that fairly question the validity of certain claims. 

Perfect example can be found here:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/55205-mola-mola-tambaqui/?tab=comments#comment-909724

29 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

I have asked Chris to delete my thread because you didn't want to respect the intended scope.  So you did the right thing and started your own thread.  Thank you.  I have no relationship to Mola Mola or its dealers/distributors.  I am simply considering buying one and wanted to keep the discussion factual.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, rickca said:

I have asked Chris to delete my thread because you didn't want to respect the intended scope.  So you did the right thing and started your own thread.  Thank you.  I have no relationship to Mola Mola or its dealers/distributors.  I am simply considering buying one and wanted to keep the discussion factual.

If all you want in your thread is listening impressions, call it the Mola Mola Tambaqui listening impressions thread. A general title will attract general posting. And I think people like to have the option to have general discussions about the DAC and the pros/cons of the design. 

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You seem to have trouble accepting rules laid out by an OP. 

Exactly!  These rules were not fair, or were not applied fairly - even though everyone knows what fairness is ?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You seem to have trouble accepting rules laid out by an OP. 

The general title of the thread gave the impression that it was a thread about open discussion regarding the DAC. Not everyone is going to scroll back to the 1st post to read the rules in the real world. So I think it's better to put that it's a listening impressions thread in the title, if that's the intention of the thread. 

3 hours ago, esldude said:

Alex repeatedly asks me why I post mostly in the General forum saying I should spend time in sponsored sub-forums.

I  only suggested Forums other than just the General Forum, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to look in at some of the sponsored forums from time to time to see what other members are doing.

You don't have to buy their products to see some interesting technical discussions from members that are also worthy of a place in the other non sponsored areas.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Perhaps the current system, as I understand, where the OP sets the "rules" of engagement could be bolstered by allowing an OP to delete posts however it should become apparent that such threads are edited.

I tend to post less in threads that are edited. Good to keep this all fun...

The current system where users and threads can be ignored is great. My ignore list is very very very short (1)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

36 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Good to keep this all fun...

What makes this "fun"?

37 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The current system where users and threads can be ignored is great. My ignore list is very very very short (

very dependent on your particular criteria for "ignoring": what are they?

Do you consider the overall common good when you consider these things or is it just for what pleases you? What do you see as good rules/ moderation for the COMMON good, or do you think this a specious fabrication (i.e., there is no common good)?

When this subject came up previously it was my pleasure to offer some novel ideas. 

I'll start afresh with the novel idea that Chris was perhaps reminded how much more he would like to partake in the lives of his family over the holidays.  This is so much nonsense it took restraint to resist marking his first post as off topic. x-D

1. Monetize high levels of input and behavior becoming of adult professionals. Paid up members gain a clear notch upwards in this community. Refunds and prompt dismissal back to the open forum await all who partake in disruptive behaviors which unsettle either side of the divide. That means less resources on SEO/internal search optimization for less desirable input and a clear cut line where moderation takes it's sweet time addressing poor behavior. It also continues on from the last post purge where notification of post erasure wasn't issued. Only those being offered reason to brighten their outlook would draw on administrative resources. 

2. Anonymous roving personnel with low level permissions allowing them to pause and hide sections of threads containing attacks before they fully develop into site disruptions.  Ideally allowing established threads to embark from their last known point of constructive input and failing to allow unworthy newfound efforts to gain traction or widespread awareness.  I'm confident a discrete automated message could be crafted to alert those most likely to redouble their efforts. 

3. Enforcement with teeth, balls, steely resolve, unflappable constitution, decisive action, backbone, etc. and so forth. Until everyone catches on and the steel glove isn't required to rest close at hand.

4 minutes ago, rando said:

1. Monetize high levels of input and behavior becoming of adult professionals. Paid up members gain a clear notch upwards in this community. Refunds and prompt dismissal back to the open forum await all who partake in disruptive behaviors which unsettle either side of the divide.

May be a lot more profitable to sell the right to break the rules than to refund. Want a week of no moderation? Pay up, then disrupt as much as you want ;)

7 minutes ago, wgscott said:

This could work really well, iff the moderators were people who genuinely do not want to be moderators.

That is my feeling too.  Sort of feel the same way about police for what it is worth.  I've thought maybe we should draft police like the military once did for soldiers.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Only 36 votes so far suggests that perhaps the timing of this thread isn't right. 

Perhaps we need to see  if things settle down more after the holiday season before taking any action on the results ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

As for moderation - IMO the less the better. Computer keyboards don't kill after all. What Chris does is IMO in general ok (except from removing, yes removing not closing threads without a single word of explanation :)) but if the burden is too heavy it's natural some helpers would be necessary.

9 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Only 36 votes so far suggests that perhaps the timing of this thread isn't right. 

Perhaps we need to see  if things settle down more after the holiday season before taking any action on the results ?

I'd agree with that. Besides it's 50/50 now.