IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

16 hours ago, Blake said:

I believe in the current status quo that allows each thread starter to impose rules and moderate their own thread.

If no such rules are imposed by the thread starter, then I prefer an organic approach and just let the thread evolve or devolve without moderation (except by Chris when things get too out of hand). 

I would also like to see Chris putting members on "time out" for a week as an intermediate step to banning if they continually exhibit exceptionally obnoxious or spastic behavior (i.e. opening multiple new threads in a day and responding to their own posts ad nauseam).  

But as far as I can tell, the OP can't really moderate. Can an OP independently remove any posts he feels are off topic or nasty? Seems like "rules" set by OP's are often ignored, whether the OP likes it or not.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1. I don’t think all people that has started a thread is really suitable to be moderators so I will vote against it.
  2. We can look how other audio forums is moderated and my observation is that a few moderator that take responsibility for different parts of the forum and/or time of the day is working well.  
  3. I believe that most of the OT posts that are messing up threads are related to difference in opinion of one thing: subjective reports on difference between audio gears VS “hard evidence”. Some people cannot stand that someone have find a SQ difference and are demanding proof in form of DBT or measurement. If we can find a way to overcome this much more people will feel at home on CA IMHO.

Yep, make the internet/(America) great again. Starting with CA?. So stop polarization, listen to each other, have more respect and more tolerance for each other and there’s opinion.

And remember we are not all scientists, electronics engineers or s.w gurus here, CA is a hobby audio forum.

If not you will probably get moderation! And I am all for it then but preferably not, we are not children right!!!

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

6 hours ago, firedog said:

But as far as I can tell, the OP can't really moderate. Can an OP independently remove any posts he feels are off topic or nasty? Seems like "rules" set by OP's are often ignored, whether the OP likes it or not.

Good point.  The moderation is only informal and more often than not, the OP's reminders are ignored.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

3 hours ago, PeterSt said:

But maybe we must consider that this forum is not for Americans per se any more. From this might follow that central moderation could be helpful for all of us.

Unfortunately the only real power some Americans respect is a razor sharp beak directly between the left and right wings. Those for whom the only way forwards is with a steady dose of acidity.  Diplomacy and at least a few other worthwhile key human elements in a healthy international grouping don't factor in. 

The ranks of intelligent users disposed towards casually and infrequently delving into subjects of interest continue to dwindle.  Chris has personally taken this up as a cause for concern.  It was promptly devalued, argued down, and declared of limited importance. Though it was nice of him to remember the weak and traitorous who had failed to stick by him/CA. O.o

Hopefully you can understand this Peter. 

24 minutes ago, rando said:

The ranks of intelligent users disposed towards casually and infrequently delving into subjects of interest continue to dwindle.  Chris has personally taken this up as a cause for concern.  It was promptly devalued, argued down, and declared of limited importance. Though it was nice of him to remember the weak and traitorous who had failed to stick by him/CA. O.o

I hope you rank yourself not to the intelligent users.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

...So mind you, today this exhibits as a bunch of wild cats without much (or any) respect to each other...In my view the problem lies in the combination of the camp that has a clear mind about how things scientifically can't be...Because the disrespect is not moderated, the first camp will grow and it will grow with the newbees who are trying to learn something. ....because all can only sound the same...This is an American forum full with Americans who want to be more free than the rest of the world...I mean, a forum with a handful of agreeing anti-cable...

Say more, say more!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

13 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

I'd like to address the content of this topic, but I don't think I can do that without being subject to personal attacks that are not even based in any visible attempt to understand the substance of what I've written. I have objected to this to no avail. It continues. The moderator has addressed this several times and warned. But with no visible consequences.

Just one example: "When your a Knight in the Civility Crusade, the truth of what you said and how you said is quite besides the point.  Don't worry, we got it..."

This is a serious accusation offered without any supporting evidence. It is presumed to have been well established as true when in fact I've never been permitted to state my position without interruption, disruption, and more personal attacks. If one repeats something often enough unobstructed, it is sometimes taken to be true.

I've asked the poster to stop and I've asked the moderator to intervene, but with little or no effective change.

Since nothing has changed,  I either need more info from the moderator regarding what constitutes a personal attack and what doesn't, anas well as what kind of pattern of personal attacks calls for intervention, and what kind of intervention is called for. Right now the policy seems very flexible and ad hoc.

This is just one personal example but this pattern is not isolated. I agree that having additional moderation staff will ideally allow for more timely, informed moderation, as Chris has suggested. This could be a very good thing for the forum, so that we can remain more content focused and /or sort out disagreements based on the issues.

But (but but) you ARE on a civility crusade!  Your particular viewpoint around "social media ethics" was put forward, I don't know, 2 years ago now.  The forum went round about it, on several threads (usually these were OT discussions), in both a positive and negative way.  Your viewpoint was in the main rejected. I and many others don't agree with you.  You continue to put forth your viewpoint, as is your right.  Rather than trying to persuade however, you claim "personal" attack.  You have little tolerance for others view on this, and claim "personal attack" and victimhood relentlessly.  Folks have said I am on an "anti-MQA crusade" and I don't complain - I even admit the truth in it!  

You being on a civility crusade, refuse to own up to it.  In THE VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH following your claim of victimhood you try to convince that a change is needed, something called "informed moderation" (by which you really mean those who agree with you on civility), and how this would be "good" for the forum.  I believe this would be bad for the forum.  You believe in the righteousness of your cause, of your particular cities standards.  I don't - I come from a different city.  You claim victimhood, I deny it - or whatever the truth in it get over it, its audio.  You have demanded change and your ethical standards.  I call this a crusade, and it is.  

Up is down, left is right...

35 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Just one example: "When your a Knight in the Civility Crusade, the truth of what you said and how you said is quite besides the point.  Don't worry, we got it..."

This is a serious accusation offered without any supporting evidence.

It is dedain as dedain can be.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

Folks have said I am on an "anti-MQA crusade" and I don't complain - I even admit the truth in it!  

Your justification is that you admit it ?

Anything else ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 minutes ago, crenca said:

or whatever the truth in it get over it, its audio.

That simple eh ?

You have no idea how dedain you are.

XXHighEnd (developer)

26 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

You have no idea how dedain you are.

You don't like me or my perspectives.  On top of that, you find me disdainful.  On the other hand, I don't like you or your perspectives, think you $sell$ vodoo, etc. 

Thing is, I don't want you "moderated" away.  If you say I am on a crusade, I don't want your statement or you censored.  I own my anti-mqa, anti-censorship, pro-consumer crusade.

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

You don't like me or my perspectives.  On top of that, you find me disdainful.  On the other hand, I don't like you or your perspectives, think you $sell$ vodoo, etc. 

Thing is, I don't want you "moderated" away.  If you say I am on a crusade, I don't want your statement or you censored.  I own my anti-mqa, anti-censorship, pro-consumer crusade.

@The Computer Audiophile,

Was this thread a test perchance?

I'm worried were failing if so. Or should that be ipso facto ?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers