IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

The problem I have with them--aside from the snide remarks, defamation, and follow-the-leader sycophantry--is the general lack of intellectual curiosity.

I guess you have to be on the other side to see the irony of this statement, Alex. What distinguishes scientific curiosity is the method of validating the proposed theories, not the invention of new ones. An 11th century court magician would say that the 21st century scientists lack "intellectual curiosity" since they refuse to try magic.

I'm available to respond to follow-ups on ASR, or on another general thread here, on AS since this is OT here.

20 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I guess you have to be on the other side to see the irony of this statement, Alex. What distinguishes scientific curiosity is the method of validating the proposed theories, not the invention of new ones. An 11th century court magician would say that the 21st century scientists lack "intellectual curiosity" since they refuse to try magic.

I'm available to respond to follow-ups on ASR, or on another general thread here, on AS since this is OT here.

Apologies for continuing the OT, and Alex may have to clean all this up or move it:

Paul, I think it was fair comment in this particular instance based on the quote that said it was unnecessary to inquire into the design or theory of operation or measure.

Whether a design is obvious snake oil (cables treated by “quantum tunneling;” “grounding boxes” filled with sand and rocks) or merits at least some evaluation is to some extent inevitably subjective. I put a theory that says there is a mechanism whereby upstream clocking can act on the DAC’s input circuitry in the speculative but perhaps not physically impossible category, and thus worth abeyance of hard conclusions until measurements are forthcoming or not.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

To be fair to Alex, he used the phrase "intellectual curiosity" not "scientific curiosity". As you say, they have different meanings.  Do you mean to disparage intellectual curiosity?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

To be fair to Alex, he used the phrase "intellectual curiosity" not "scientific curiosity". As you say, they have different meanings.  Do you mean to disparage intellectual curiosity?

You're right. Scientific discovery is driven by intellectual curiosity. But the reason scientific method was invented was that just the intellectual curiosity turned out to be insufficient to form a successful predictive model of the real world. 

2 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Because I was close to pulling the trigger on a hi-end server, like for instance the Pink Faun 2.16x, and I don't think I will now, I asked John a few questions about those touted enhancements like, for instance, motherboard clocks.  Since he was kind enough to give me some of his valuable time, I thought I'd share his response here so we all can start to better understand the phenomena (except, of course, for those of you who already know it all).  It's an extension of what he and Alex have been telling us:

My paper will really go into all this in much better detail ... In a nutshell, each device has its own clock phase noise, the phase noise from upstream devices can "overlay" the phase noise of the local clock. Making the local clock better stops being useful when the overlay is much greater than the local clock phase noise. So in some situations doing things like putting really good clocks on a motherboard may help, but it may not.

The EtherREGEN gets rid of all this so upstream stuff like that doesn't really matter. The only clocks that really matter are the renderer AFTER the EtherREGEN and the DAC fed by that. THOSE two WILL benefit from lower clock phase noise, no matter how you get it there, whether it is built in or coming from some external source. Because the EtherREGEN interrupts the clock over laying process, you can clearly hear the differences in clocks in the downstream devices.

So if the external clock is feeding the NUC feeding the DAC, yes, that is a good thing, if it is feeding the motherboard of the server feeding the EtherREGEN, probably not worthwhile.

I know these concepts seem weird and not what other people are talking about, but the intent of the paper is to really get down to the nitty gritty about how all this happens and what the EtherREGEN does about it.

John Swenson

That's why I hope that John and Alex will ever decide to build a super ISO Regen, with electronic moat technology.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

36 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Of course, but you argue from the extreme.

In the case of audio, I am interested in explanatory models for what I observe. If that explanation leads to a model with predictive power, the quality of those predictions tell me if the model is useful. But without the explanatory model further innovation is difficult.

I agree, the explanatory model is a necessary first step. But just like with the intellectual curiosity, it is not enough by itself. If a new explanation conflicts with known validated models, it must have at least as good a predictive power as the existing models, otherwise it can't replace them.

Folks at ASR can be brutal on anyone who proposes just an explanation, especially one that conflicts with other established models. But hey, it's not like that's very different from the reaction here to the posts on ASR :)

22 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Hmmm.  Are these guys members of the Flat Earth Society?  Putting up walls only hides the greater reality, though it does create a static one, protecting a "world view" that will never expand.  A lot like the environment in which Galileo found himself.

All they are asking for is any kind of objective evidence to support the claims or explanations proposed here. That's how real science works. Blind faith that one's perception and senses are infallible is the direct equivalent of a flat earther, whose world view is rooted in this exact belief.

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

All they are asking for is any kind of objective evidence to support the claims or explanations proposed here. That's how real science works. Blind faith that one's perception and senses are infallible is the direct equivalent of a flat earther, whose world view is rooted in this exact belief.

Can we take this "discussion" elsewhere?  Of course, I want to add my two cents first.  😀  And that is there are well-known and respected audio designers who design by measurement, but who say that it is clear they hear distinctions that they cannot measure yet.  I believe that is what Alex was talking about when he mentioned having an open mind.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Hi folks! 

Got my ER today in it is heating up since 12 hours. Haven’t yet listen...

First I got some issues with my roon server, but eventually worked out by completely restarting my router and power cycle the whole system. Works now fine ( @Superdad see my email [email protected]) While testing, I used firstly the LPS I have (floating) and now the smps. What is your experience soundwise? 
I like that it is grounded perfectly is designed to work perfectly as a bundle, so I think I will stick with it.