IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

56 minutes ago, so-no-mah said:

You can listen at lower volumes without losing information.

Yes,  you can.  👍 I noticed this right away last night. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

14 hours ago, lmitche said:

As one of the lucky EtherRegen beta testers, I can now talk about my impressions. In short, installing the EtherRegen had an immediate and positive impact on SQ quality here. It is powered by one of the LT3045 rails of my Hdplex 200 watt LPS. The 'A' side links to both a Linksys RE9000 LAN extender and a Roon server with the 'B' side connected to my NUC i7 endpoint.

For over five years I have experimented with various products and configurations to gain better SQ by tweaking the Ethernet end of one and two boxes solutions. This started with learning to bridge server NICs under Windows and Linux. This technique was later popularized by others as a "Novel Approach and Massive Improvement" in sound quality. Products tested include Tplink Fiber Media Controllers, Emosystems and Baaske medical transformers, Netgear FS105, FS108 and Cisco 2950 switches all with LT3045 double regulation and running at 100 or 1000mbps, various cables from Blue Jeans cable, Supra, Monoprice, etc ... were used with and without external shielding. On top of this, most recently I settled on 5ghz WiFi connections and USB3.0 NICs with success. Without the EtherRegen 5ghz WiFi sounds better than a direct wired connection from endpoint to the network extender.

When the EtherRegen arrived, I disabled the WiFi connection on my NUC endpoint, enabled the NUC LAN port and ran a 10 foot Monoprice Slimrun cable to the EtherRegen 'B' side. The network extender and server were connected with two 3 foot connections to the EtherRegen 'A' side.  SQ took an instant jump. I then realized that while it was not in use, the WiFi card in my NUC was still installed. The EtherRegen enabled physical removal of this card and doing so delivered another bump up in SQ.

I was thrilled and called Alex to share my findings. He was hearing a similiar improvement with his AL/NUC based system as well.

The EtherRegen is a terrific new technology that is going to benefit most systems.

Thanks for your reply. Do you use ER ground screw when connected to Hdplex. I'm a little worried about breaking the galvanic isolation when using ER to Hdplex if not using the ground screw. I guess a have to try and figure it out when I receive my ER this week. 

3 hours ago, Crimmind said:

Thanks for your reply. Do you use ER ground screw when connected to Hdplex. I'm a little worried about breaking the galvanic isolation when using ER to Hdplex if not using the ground screw. I guess a have to try and figure it out when I receive my ER this week. 

I can't hear any difference with or without the ground attached so removed it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Yes, the server is on the A-side.

The EtherRegen completely crushes the myth that an ultra clean ethernet source isolating the endpoint and DAC from upstream pollution will act as prophylactic for downstream devices.  Instead it appears to be the opposite making it easier to hear upstream enhancements downstream.

The other thing I'm confident that will be very important as we suss out how to most effectively use ER is to be thoughtful and systematic of how it is implemented in these various configurations, and take thorough notes so we can build up a knowledge base that can be used for defining its most effective use for specific applications. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The operative phrase here is "easier to hear upstream enhancements downstream". 

If it’s easier to hear upstream changes (with either a bad or good effect on SQ) it can’t be true that the etherREGEN will make upstream stuff matter less. But I’m not a native English speaker so do correct me if I misunderstood. :)

(of course all the usual caveats apply here like subjective experience, system dependant, ... etc.)

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

it can’t be true that the etherREGEN will make upstream stuff matter less

There are many that anticipated that this would be true.

Maybe we should say that the etherregen removes a weak link in the chain, revealing  weaker links on both the 'A' and 'B' sides. When those remaining weak links are strengthened the impact is easier to hear.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

To aid with listening impressions, may I suggest for those with Qobuz to do a before and after ER with the bass on "Come What May," and the bass and cello on "Ruby Tuesday," both from the Colvin & Earle album.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

14 hours ago, PYP said:

Just curious:  when folks state the number of hours in the system, do you mean powered up or are you playing music through the ER continuously?  

Playing music through ER continuously. 

It sounds as though Jud tried but abandoned using the optical port as the downstream one for sound quality reasons.  Is anyone else connecting a device through an SFP module and, if so, how are you feeling about the ER in that application?  I ask because I have an optical rendu now connected to the network with a Sonore optical module that I would switch to another system if the ER is an upgrade of the magnitude this thread suggests it is.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

10 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

It sounds as though Jud tried but abandoned using the optical port as the downstream one for sound quality reasons.  Is anyone else connecting a device through an SFP module and, if so, how are you feeling about the ER in that application?  I ask because I have an optical rendu now connected to the network with a Sonore optical module that I would switch to another system if the ER is an upgrade of the magnitude this thread suggests it is.

Yes. My configuration is below. I observed a notable improvement in audio quality when adding ER to my main rack, using the SFP module on the A-side, and replacing a TP-link SFP FMC with my Optical Module in the bedroom/study. Scroll up to page 2 to review my listening impression notes. 

Bedroom/Study:

Mac Mini/Roon Core->copper Ethernet->Pace router->copper Ethernet->Optical Module->Tripp-Lite OM-1 LC/LC fiber running to main audio rack.

Living Room/Main Audio Rack:

Fiber (from bedroom/study) -> ER using SFP/optical transceiver on A-side -> copper Ethernet on ER B-side-> SOtM UltraNeo network bridge->USB cable->Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC