IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

41 minutes ago, thyname said:

I received my EtherRegen today. Someone was home to get it inside, open the package, and let it at room temperature for about five hours. It’s cold here in DC area today.

I left work a bit early. Plugged in and left it working for a couple of hours.

Still too early, no real burn in, but I am so excited of this purchase, that I could not help it, but post here. And perhaps my post can help some people that have already implemented some type of optical isolation.

I was already using dual opticalModules (both powered by separate SGC linear power supplies). Fiber between the two. Then Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Reference Ethernet cable from the downstream opticalModule to Innuos ZENith MK3 (server and Renderer via Roon), USB out of the ZENith to my DAC (MSB Discrete).

Left the upstream opticalModule as is. Replaced the downstream opticalModule with EtherRegen. Stock power supply. Had already purchased the SFP Module for EtherRegen (the Sonore one Alex had posted). Everything powered up and worked instantly.

I have already only played five tracks from my Test playlist. I am thrilled to report that EtherRegen works! I was a bit skeptical, as the opticalModules already provided that isolation with good results, but EtherRegen brings things to a new level of satisfaction. First impression: everything opens up more by a good margin. Sound is deeper, more “organic”, and everything sounds just more natural. Acoustic guitar like the artist is in my room. Timbre and tonality to die for. Stuff that I don’t know how to explain, as I don’t know they existed.

You have a winner here Alex!

congrats!  i suspect future researchers may find a correlation between a dip in U.S. productivity and the delivery dates of the first few batches of EtherRegens.

you have a very nice system there.  when you get a chance, could you try a little test?

keep the old double opticalModule setup you had earlier and add the EtherRegen after the downstream oM, ethernet to ER, then your Synergistic Research cable from EtherRegen to Innuous.

it would be interesting to see if more Regen is gooder (e.g. folks who reported that 2 SoTM switches sounded better than 1)

Mine arrived today. 

My setup is coax out of my FIOS ONT converted to Ethernet with an Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapter (powered with a linear PS). Ethernet connects into and out of a Cisco 2960G-8TC-L via Wireworld Starlight CAT 8. The run out of the switch connects to a JCAT Net Femto (linear PS). Matrix Element H card (linear PS) out into a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (6v battery), then I2S into a PS Audio Directstream DAC. 

I'm currently using Amazon HD after comparing it with Deezer and Tidal. Downloading tracks on Amazon's PC software for playback vs streaming consistently provides an obvious, immediate SQ improvement - more impactful bass, cleaner mids, better imaging. Nothing subtle about it. 

I want to burn in for at least 48hrs before any serious listening, but I can report that cold, out of the box the ER erased the SQ advantage that downloading had over streaming. In the 20 minutes I ran comparisons, the stream sounded every bit as full and impactful as the download. Super impressed. I really wasn't expecting this.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

The tones of cellos are so gorgeous with the ER in the system I could listen to Bach cello suites all day long.

now try Yasuaki Shimizu's saxophone version ;) 😛

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

On Amazon' Music HD's FAQ (https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14070322011) they outline how much local storage is used for various levels of quality offered when downloaded. While it's not an incredibly detailed FAQ, my read and listening experience is that for a given song there isn't a lesser quality file offered for download vs stream. 

I believe the downloads from Amazon are mp3 even on the HD service,

For me, the ER did what I was hoping it would. 

So, was it Uptone that recommended a "burn in" time? I mean, this thing runs pretty hot, so I fail to see how pushing bits through it is going to do anything.

Otherwise, I've had music running through it for near 24 hours. I haven't been listening much (because of yeah, this "burn in" thing, but there are two initial observations. Note, however, that I won't get a full grasp on SQ differences until I take the ER out of my system, and put it back in, etc., etc.,

#1 There seems to a be a purity of tone. Something extra pure now? I walked into some Strauss playing, whereupon I turned up the volume, sat down for a few minutes and listened to some very realistic violin and cellos. Now, mind you, I'm not as familiar with this piece as others, so I wasn't listening against audio cues hardwired in my brain, so take that with a grain of salt. It certainly was nice, though. Liquid, even.

#2 Could it be that the ER is accentuating some highs, slightly? My "accentuating" isn't the right word. Hearing Nat King Cole's "Welcome to the Club" with the ER running, well...with lesser systems, or before I had my room acoustically treated it's easy for Cole's vocals to get peaky. The vox is so forward juxtaposed against the music. With the ER in the system, no, it didn't get peaky again, but it didn't sound as full-bodied as it did before either. I'm talking fractions here. This is the same thing that I experienced on Elton John's "High Flying Bird" where the full analog sound of his vocals now seems a fraction lacking with the ER. By contrast, the background vocals were certainly clearer, the piano had more sparkle, and the bass guitar had that stellar growl that I like, only a tad more recessed.

#3 Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - I had to turn it down a hair from my usual listening. It was definitely clear! I don't think I had ever heard Jimi's voice that clear in the left channel. BUT! - the guitar intro did seem a smidge peaky. It was as if that small area in the low-mids was no longer there. 

Now, none of this was necessarily unpleasant. Even when talking about Jimi's guitar in the intro, it didn't sound less real...just different, you feel me? 

So, in that respect, the ER is doing something. It's not just sitting there, for better or for worse; I'm simply trying to wrap my head around what I'm hearing. It could very well be that what I'm hearing is the way it's supposed to sound. But how would I know if that's the way it was supposed sound? :)

But anyway, if I'm hearing more delineated instruments, that's a good sign, yeah? You know, I need to go to some of my test tracks like Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" and "American Tune." 

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

37 minutes ago, Avalfa said:

I had to register to reply here, have been reading around for a while now. 

Today my etherregen from Audiostore in the UK arrived in the Netherlands. And it's in my system right now for about half an hour.

My first impression? ( I have given it time to warm up a bit for 15 minutes,before connecting Ethernet cables)

First seconds of music, my jaw dropped at the floor, thinking WTF!!?  Just brilliant. Way, way more details, wider and deeper sound stage, more definition, more ease, more calmness etc. 

A serious good investment this one.

For who's interested, it replaced a basic d-link switch between home network (desktop PC somewhere in the house used as NAS)  and streamer/pre-amp, with basic cat 5e and cat6 cables of all kinds of brands that I just had laying around.

( I just use my streamer for local file Playback)

Welkom bij audiophile style en gefeliciteerd met je Etherregen, veel luister plezier.

Welcome to audiophile style and congratulations with your Etherregen, happy listening.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

I’ve found that the ER reveals more - warts and all.

And this may be what I'm hearing.

I just walk into my listening room and listen to whatever is playing. At one point David Bowie's "I'm Afraid of Americans" was playing, and I don't remember the song sounding so good. It still wasn't "audiophile" by any stretch, but it was pretty crystal clear. A great sound. 

By contrast, Ray Charles and Betty Carter were singing, "Everytime You Say Goodbye" from their 1961 album. Ray's mic sounded fine. Betty's, for the first time I hear what sounds like light distortion in her voice, as if it was recorded too hot. 

Revealing? Maybe that's it. The ER certainly wouldn't give off distortion. I think it's in the source. 

Anyway, I'm only about 27 hours in. 

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

Hey guys, has anyone experimented or noticed the effects of upstream equipments such as NAS with EtherRegen in the audio chain. The reason I ask is because my NAS has been at repair in last 3 weeks. I have only just got it back yesterday with the main board replaced. Now my music sounds crap without good dynamics compared to streaming from Tidal only in last 3 weeks. In fact, I was quite amazed by Tidal SQ when I could only stream. This finding was a total surprise to me! This NAS sits far far away from my audio rack on totally different power circuits and very upstream connected to home router before my audio LAN switch. Local files are mostly WAV or High def flac. 

anyway, I am hoping EtherRegen can fix this ( on the way ). Has anyone got any answers to why I experienced this phenomenon against general belief? Or can someone point me to the right thread to dig a bit deeper on this?

I replaced the optical module with ether regen. 24-hours in: I have an insatiable desire to listen and my foot can't stop tapping when I listen to music with a beat.  

What's different so far is lower noise floor, better harmonics and more data in mid bass, more precise stops and starts of notes and more detail in and surrounding the notes....Space  between people more clearly defined...but there seems to be sound in that space, not grain.

If you are on the fence about replacing the optical module, my experience so far is that it is worth it, no question.

I will report next week with listening notes and more info re my system so you can judge, but the system basis is ER-optical rendu-Atma-Sphere MP1 pre amp-Hegel Amp and magneplanar speakers, with Analysis-Plus top of their line loom, bluejeans ethernet cables and Wireworld Platinum USB.

Thank you John and  Superdad

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

32 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

I will report next week with listening notes and more info re my system so you can judge, but the system basis is ER-optical rendu-Atma-Sphere MP1 pre amp-Hegel Amp and magneplanar speakers, with Analysis-Plus top of their line loom, bluejeans ethernet cables and Wireworld Platinum USB.

DAC is YGGY with new analog board and USB mods

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"