IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

On 11/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, thotdoc said:

If you are on the fence about replacing the optical module, my experience so far is that it is worth it, no question.

Ugh, not what I wanted to hear... ;)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

51 minutes ago, EVOLVIST said:

Perhaps I'm receiving a stronger signal with the ER in? Would that sound right?

The ‘music’ itself encoded in the ethernet stream is 100% identical (bit perfect, the etherREGEN is not a DSP or otherwise manipulating the data) and with the same Roon settings will have shown digital clipping before and after you using the etherREGEN. I would eat both of my shoes if it wasn’t and make Alex and John do the same! :)

What could be happening is you listening with more focus, now noticing the clipping and/or the EtherREGEN giving you ‘a clearer window to look through’. 

12 minutes ago, Jud said:

Back to the many-splendored pleasures of ER and music to enjoy them with, as I occasionally listen during shuffle play/burn-in:

I do the same thing and had a similar experience with Carlos Nakai's Carry the Gift.  This is always on my burn-in playlist (yes, I have one of those in Roon) because it is typically a nice, calm interlude and the flute just floats.  But the first song suddenly sounded different.  It starts with a feathery flute intro, then in the distant background a strumming guitar (hadn't heard it so early in the song previously).  Now, with the ER, it was clear as day that the guitar gets louder as the flute goes to the background.  The guitar plays faster and louder.  Then the flute comes in faintly at first, then the two instruments are equally loud.  So, what was a gentle song was now (for the genre) a barn burner!  Finally, I heard two excellent musicians making music.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I particularly like that Jud & a few others reference outstanding albums/ tracks ... it’s a way into new musical paths, in addition to listening sonics for our tweaked gear.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

This thread is on its 7th page--with detailed and insightful first-hand reports from many people with extremely refined (and expensive systems (looking at you @stevebythebay9_9). And there is also an active 7-page thread going on over at ASR where they can't figure out what this device could possibly do and are just bouncing around being dismissive and insulting.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-etherregen.9260/page-5#post-266563

Oh well. x-D

Jason seems to have gone to the 'other side'. I remember him from the regen thread. I think he even made CAD drawings for 3d printing a cabinet for the green regen card after the amber came out

Hadn't listened to vocals.  The song Love is Blindness from Cassandra Wilson's New Moon Daughter.  I've listened to this one many times, but I literally stopped what I was doing and had to sit down to hear it all.  What a magnificent instrument the human voice can be.  And if you are familiar with her albums you know she works with wonderful musicians.  Now I have to look up the guitarist because he is making it all work.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

The ‘music’ itself encoded in the ethernet stream is 100% identical (bit perfect, the etherREGEN is not a DSP or otherwise manipulating the data) and with the same Roon settings will have shown digital clipping before and after you using the etherREGEN. I would eat both of my shoes if it wasn’t and make Alex and John do the same! :)

What could be happening is you listening with more focus, now noticing the clipping and/or the EtherREGEN giving you ‘a clearer window to look through’. 

Putting it that way, yeah, what I wrote sounds silly. :) On the same token, though, I've had the clipping indicator for the last couple of years and never saw so much as a blip in the red. It's always in sight when I'm listening to music. Moreover, I'm not talking about brickwalled recordings either. We've got nice, easy wavs with peaks and valleys.

Anyway, it's probably a non-issue. There's nothing wrong with a little added headroom, anyway. My question was more like, "That can't be happening, can it!?" 😵

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

1 hour ago, Darryl R said:

I had been running from bridged JCAT Net ... Now I'm running out the EtherREGEN ... I'll no longer need the bridge.

That’s very interesting! To understand you correctly, please elaborate on your finding:

a) is the EtherREGEN better than the JCAT Net? (A vs B comparison) or..

b) does the EtherREGEN make the JCAT Net redundant (no benefit from JCAT Net with the ER in the chain)

c) ..?

Case (b) would be a stunning result/achievement!

38 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@EVOLVIST, I understand! :) But if you’d like to convince yourself or me/us a simple experiment could do that; just remove the etherregen for a while and go back to your previous setup and settings.

I may, when the ER finishes its burn in. After all, I would remiss if I didn't do a before and after comparison in my system. 

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II