IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

That was the thrust of a presentation I gave to Stereophile's then-owner's senior management in 2005.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

To your credit, I'm absolutely awed at the threat to the consumer a trade publication with a pithy print circulation, mostly run and staffed by a group of journalistic putterers, can be to consumers. It's quite eye-opening as to the importance both of consumer advocacy and journalism ethics boards, as well as to the relative passivity of consumers (then again, there's no profit to be made in MQA giving people cancer, and the costs look like they'll be hidden, so the stakes aren't exactly high enough for the general public to care).

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

But I don't see any reason why I am obliged to send people I don't know on a site I have connection with the results of my hard work just because they demand it of me. As I wrote earlier, if posters to CA want to try the MQA files that Bob Carver was discussing, I would have thought that Chris Connaker would oblige. 

Surely the files Carver was discussing are not “the results of [your] hard work.”  If you can’t provide them due to contractual obligations, just say so.  Otherwise we’re left to wonder what negative result you would expect from doing so.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 hours ago, jabbr said:

Hardly a general fact here on the internet where identifiers are called URIs. URIs are the names on the internet. Your traditional name means nothing to me because we don't interact in person. There's actually a whole technology around this ... you need to understand how this all works to understand what I'm talking about, but trust me a URI is far more important on the web than your traditional given and surname.

Here, read this: http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/

I'll partially deanonymise myself by telling you that I've been called part of the "RDF Cabal" ???

I know perfectly well what URL's are and I also know, as do you, that a URL doesn't identify a person. It would appear that your use of the term 'anonymous' differs from the commonly accepted meaning.

I would speculate that you have been called a lot worse. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

The majors will buy into this ,first of all, because of DRM. Then, of course,  it is a chance to sell their catalogue again. If MQA becomes mainstream (the horrors), then everyone will have to have it.  Then, in the future, when everyone realizes that MQA is a lossy system that alters the music, someone will come out with a new system that is "true" to the original artists intent and the majors will get to sell their catalogue once again.  Win win for the majors.  The entire MQA chain will add expense to the end product, but that will be passed on to the music consumer.  It is the tax we will have to pay for MQA.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

On 10/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Jud said:

If they had to ask you about MQA’s financials, that doesn’t say much for their resources.  Perhaps they were just making conversation.

A little housekeeping part 2

They asked about my analysis of MQA Ltd financial information an entirely different matter.

Consider HDCD.  Chip makers and electronic manufacturers are starting to eliminate HDCD decoding from their products.  If you have MQA processed music and chip makers and electronic manufacturers eliminate MQA encoding in the future, where does that leave your MQA music.  Of course, if all you do is stream music,  that may not be a critical matter.  The majors would like to see the entire music industry turn into a pay as you play model.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

11 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

A little housekeeping part 2

They asked about my analysis of MQA Ltd financial information an entirely different matter.

Thank you for the clarification.  Are you an accountant with expertise in the music and/or audio business?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There is no middle ground. I just listened to Hilary Hahn on Tidal MQA and now it sounds sublime. How I got here? I pretty much stopped googling Roon / HQPlayer setting suggestions and started using my ears. To me, this sounds awesome. But please share with me your thoughts.

Please note, my DAC in this case, is an ifi Micro iDSD BL. It's connected to my ifi Pro iCAN amp (pic included) and is fully MQA capable.

1. Forget HQPlayer. Just use Roon and set the DSP and all the DSP settings to 'Off'.

2. On the Micro iDSD BL, set the Power Mode on the Micro iDSD to 'Normal, Filter to 'Standard' (no doubt there will be further improvement once ifi rolls out GTO-filter firmware for MAC).

3. Flick on both the xBASS and 3D.

(This is the first time have ever enjoyed 3D on and it was exceptional)

4. Other ROON settings pictured.

I might add, the Micro's MQA capabilities have me pining for ifi to release the Pro iDSD MQA-enabled firmware. I own both units and I'm just about holding my breath with anticipation knowing what it's little brother just delivered!

ifi iCAN Pro Micro iDSD BL _DSF0895 W2000.jpg

Roon Pg1.png

Roon Pg2.png

Roon Pg3.png

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

A URI certainly might identify a person. I used the term "URI" instead of "URL" for precisely this reason.

"Might" is the operative word. So "might" an IP address. But it might just as well not do so.

Your understanding of the term "anonymous" may indeed be different from those people who have designed and who use the Web.

More generally "anonymous" means "without name"

Your use of  "pseudonym" is appropriate,  in which case...

I use terms according to their generally accepted meaning rather than their esoteric usage. But thank you for you generous, albeit unnecessary, concession. I am quite certain that nobody else had any doubt about what I meant in my reply concerning @John_Atkinson's use of the term. OTOH, some people apparently can't resist being pedantic. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

57 minutes ago, Allan F said:

"Might" is the operative word. So "might" an IP address. But it might just as well not do so.

I use terms according to their generally accepted meaning rather than their esoteric usage. But thank you for you generous, albeit unnecessary, concession. I am quite certain that nobody else had any doubt about what I meant in my reply concerning @John_Atkinson's use of the term. OTOH, some people apparently can't resist being pedantic. :)

I know all this technical jargon can get confusing.

5179p0e0gOL._SY879_.jpg

rh901.jpg

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I was just revisiting some of the MQA exchanges involving JA over at audioasylum, and found this gemLink

1ys5ai.jpg

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables