IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

12 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I do not understand this.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but do artists make any significant money from streaming ? if they don't from normal streaming such as MP3, or other, then how is high resolution going to help them ?

From comments i have seen, streaming business is of little benefit to many artists.

Regards,

Shadders.

The theory is that with MQA, you establish a higher pricing tier on the streaming service. With the extra revenue, the labels can pay more to the artist.

If you talk to label people, they realize that they need to pay the artist more and they feel they have to solve that problem.  They realize this is a huge problem that is not healthy for the industry.

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can you point to one fact thst shows we have more high resolution access because of MQA?

Can you point to facts that artist will make more money?

Why is it the consumers’ responsibility to pay more for a broken business model? Artist sign contracts that give away almost everything. You want to help them earn more money, educate them rather than fleece all consumers and line the pockets of everyone except the artist. 

In terms of hirez availability, the major music labels have signed up to encode their entire back catalog in MQA.  That's already happening.  There are growing numbers of hirez files on Tidal Masters, some portion of which has not already been released on the download sites.  I am not sure how many incremental albums or tracks that is.

I just discussed how the artist will make more money under the plan but it really remains to be seen how that unfolds.

As for consumer responsibility, I think the consumer pays extra for a better experience in most other industries.  Why not in music?  It will depend on perceived quality and the overall customer experience.

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I think this is because the old people do not use the internet and still subscribe to paper publications.

Regards,

Shadders.

Or, free online viewers are numerous enough to justify advertising which is almost certainly the main source of income for the magazine.

That's how you thrive in the internet age.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 minutes ago, semente said:

Or, free online viewers are numerous enough to justify advertising which is almost certainly the main source of income for the magazine.

Hi,

Maybe - but at the same time, the influence of such publications is becoming smaller.

The younger generation do not care about hifi - hifi is in serious decline. Not sure how long they will last as being relevant - the tech magazines seem to be thriving - glossy publications, little detail, and minimal geek hifi content.

I think that the older publishing people as are the music industry are still living in the past - they had full control, but then the internet means people do not have to be told what to think.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, semente said:

free online viewers are numerous enough to justify advertising which is almost certainly the main source of income for the magazine.

That was the thrust of a presentation I gave to Stereophile's then-owner's senior management in 2005.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile