IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

6 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

It's sort of a push/pull situation.  One key (pull) is for there to be consumers who want the full unfold quality.  The second key (push) is streaming services offering it.  Then it become ubiquitous and we see how many consumers want to get the higher quality tier.

Like I mentioned earlier: it has to offer value to everyone in the ecosystem for it to work: labels, streamers, consumers, and hardware makers.

As for cost to add MQA: that is not an issue as it's a small royalty far less than the additional tier revenue and then the some encoding done in the cloud.

Hi,

As far as i know, nobody really much cares for high resolution in the hifi world, and i do not know anyone who cares about high resolution in the non-hifi world.

There is no pull. If people like MP3 as they already do - then MQA will provide no push because customers won't sign up to it.

As an aside, i pay £10 for a newly released CD. It probably costs 50pence to make in its entirety. Why are the labels losing money on this ?

If streaming is not already making the labels money - then how is MQA going to help ?. Prices will have to go up significantly.

If music labels are not making money from streaming, then surely they should remove access to their catalogue ?

Does it not seem odd to you that we have a thriving music industry, and it is alleged that no one is making any money from music sales or streaming ?

Regards,

Shadders.

17 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

The labels have a right to protect their property.  The consumer has a right to protect their own interests.  They do this by exercising their buying power.  The music loving public should shun MQA like the plague

I, for one,  will never buy a product that has been infected with MQA..

Let's let the music consumer determine what value MQA is to them.  Using over the top language like "plague" is an opinion.  My dems have been convincing on the musical value of the MQA filters.

Ultimately I think if a streaming service picks up MQA then Bob's company will be in good shape financially.  However, the ultimate success of MQA may be how premium subscriptions from Tidal or Apple or Amazon get sold.  So really it is about the consumer.  MQA and its ecosystem partners have to do a good job of marketing the value of MQA to consumers.  

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My only reason for continuing to post on this DOA topic, is to reemphasize the importance to anyone from Apple or Amazon or Netflix who might be listening that we don't need no stinking proprietary formats in this century. Don't be evil.

These streaming services are not likely to be influenced by a niche group of computer audiophiles.  They are more likely to look to the labels who have tested MQA and signed off on it.  And they are likely to think about the value of premium pricing.

If a bunch of people here don't like then that's okay too but no one is putting a gun to your head to buy it.

Just for the record:

I have no investment in MQA.

No member of my family, to my knowledge, has investment in MQA.

I do not work for, or have any financial interest in, any publication that stands to gain from MQA.

I have, however, over the past 60+ years spent many thousands of dollars on music of various kinds.  I have strived to obtain the best quality recordings and hope that I will continue to be able obtain the best quality recordings in the future.

That is where I stand.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Hi,

I had a quick search on the percentage of music which belongs ot the main 3 record labels and independents.

For the US it was 2/3 of music was owned by Sony, Warner, Universal, and the remaining 1/3 by independents

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/08/03/two-thirds-music-sales-come-three-major-labels/

For the UK (yay) it was 1/4 independent.

I checked some of the bands i like and they are all independent labels. Which is great - hopefully MQA will miss those and normal CD's will be available all the time.

Regards,

Shadders.

3 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Many of the labels carry heavy debt loads.  As a result they are focused on revenue growth.  MQA is a way to sell premium pricing in exchange for better quality sound.

It's not like the labels' contracts with bands resulted in bands accumulating debt with every release thanks to promotional costs, recording bills and advances labels recoup?  And it's not like the labels have treated consumers as poorly as they’ve treated artists?

mQa is dead!

Old bloke (80 years old) goes to the football stadium (soccer for the US people) to watch his favourite team who he has not seen in 40 years.

He gets to the ticket office and asks for a seat in the lower stadium.

The ticket office employee says "That will be £100".

The old bloke says "£100, i could get a good woman for that".

The ticket office employees says "Yes, but you don't 45 minutes each way, and a brass band at the interval".

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

Just for the record:

I have no investment in MQA.

No member of my family, to my knowledge, has investment in MQA.

I do not work for, or have any financial interest in, any publication that stands to gain from MQA.

I have, however, over the past 60+ years spent many thousands of dollars on music of various kinds.  I have strived to obtain the best quality recordings and hope that I will continue to be able obtain the best quality recordings in the future.

That is where I stand.

The same here.  No financial interest, investment, or any compensation in MQA at all.  I've just heard a proper demo and find it to enhance good recordings.  And as a hirez fan, I think it is providing a path to more hirez.

33 minutes ago, lucretius said:

It's not like the labels' contracts with bands resulted in bands accumulating debt with every release thanks to promotional costs, recording bills and advances labels recoup?  And it's not like the labels have treated consumers as poorly as they’ve treated artists?

Straw man. No one is arguing that the labels have not been bad actors.