IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

1 hour ago, Lee Scoggins said:

The same here.  No financial interest, investment, or any compensation in MQA at all.  I've just heard a proper demo and find it to enhance good recordings.  And as a hirez fan, I think it is providing a path to more hirez.

I am in awe of all the time and effort you put in defending, and putting out MQA fires!

All for the sake of Hi-rez music!

You,sir, are a truly noble human being!

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

24 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

The independent music (labels etc) is on the rise :

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/independent-artists-music-industry-stormzy-aj-tracey-stefflon-don-hardy-caprio-major-label-streaming-a8110936.html

Essentially, the three majors are trying to stranglehold a declining market (for them).

Regards,

Shadders.

Merlin, the aggregator for most of the indies, has agreed to master their back catalog in MQA.  So MQA wins on that point.

11 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Merlin, the aggregator for most of the indies, has agreed to master their back catalog in MQA.  So MQA wins on that point.

Hi,

To take this forward a few steps.

The three major labels are significant shareholders in MQA Ltd. This means, that once the independents are across to MQA, and independent record labels become dominant, the three record labels with declining revenue will need to recoup their previous revenue.

If they do not make profit from their declining artist numbers, they will increase the costs for streaming for everyone (independents).

The independents will not like this - they will be squeezed. Then it will be goodbye MQA as they, the majority of the music labels pull their recordings from the streaming for MQA.

Whatever happens, MQA if anything, is a possible delay for the demise of the major record labels.

Regards,

Shadders.

19 hours ago, Anodyne Jones said:

I ask the following question, seriously:

If a a little known individual came to Stereophile and and the labels and said he was going to run studio master files through a proprietary, closed DSP system that reduces bits and adds aliasing, and it required special software and hardware, would they not be laughed into oblivion?

Since it was some one like Bob Stuart who enjoyed (greatly undeserved) good will it was taken seriously. Why are we surprised? He produced overpriced junk decades and lost tens of millions, so why would he all of a sudden hit winning streak and start producing products people actually give a damn about?

Bob Stuart would be a little known person to the labels. Requiring special hardware and software would meet the definition of DRM.  The pitch to studios was reduced bandwidth in the beginning.

High audio was desperate for a new format. MQA was our best hope according to Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound. Others in the industry told me the same thing.  Stereophile has shown they give column inches to new formats.

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Bob Stuart would be a little known person to the labels. Requiring special hardware and software would meet the definition of DRM.  The pitch to studios was reduced bandwidth in the beginning.

High audio was desperate for a new format. MQA was our best hope according to Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound. Others in the industry told me the same thing.  Stereophile has shown they give column inches to new formats.

..I'm not so sure. MLP was intended not only as compression for DVD-A but DRM as well, no? That is until it was easily cracked..the proof is all the DVD-As I have ripped. Then when it became obvious MLP, like all things Meridian, was a joke, they stopped using it, Oh yes, than 24/96 and 24/192 downloads became available. .

12 minutes ago, lucretius said:

MQA (...) They speak over our heads,

Nobody speaks over my head. I simply won‘t buy an MQA track or album... ever!

„HiRes“ is a ludicrous niche market... not even worth mentioning as a footnote.

If „HiRes“ gets totally replaced by MQA I‘ll buy CDs or 44.1kHz downloads. If they stop to release 44.1kHz i‘ll go MP3... or simply don‘t buy new music anymore.

It‘s that simple!

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

42 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

This Lee Scoggins guy has really super weak and at times even outrageous arguments.

It‘s obvious that he has little to no knowledge about audio technology, nor about the market (making money of music products), absolutely no clue at all how major lables work ... and above all definitely no clue about the role artists play in this game.
He‘s a babbler.
Okay!

So what?!
It‘s beyond me why so many serious and educated people try to discuss the same things over and over again here with such a stupid, poor person.

You can‘t save souls in an empty church!

The term "useful idiot" has been thrown around over the past 2 years..clearly it applies in this case.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

The theory is that if you give them more money they will act better?

5 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Yes, because if you talk to music execs, they realize not paying the artists is a long-term loser for them.  It's a late realization but they at least learned.

I would like to work for you.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

I just want a boss who believes the more he pays me, the better I’ll behave.  :D 

?

Makes perfect sense! Now why don’t I behave more? .... hmm ...

Maybe because they’d think they are paying me too much ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.