IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

19 hours ago, manisandher said:

At the beginning of this thread, I mentioned some of the USB cables I've bought and tried over the years. One in particular I bought 3 years ago and cost around 5 times as much as the Lush. It's been sitting gathering dust in my basement for the best part of 3 years - I hated the way it sounded when I first tried it, and I still hate the way it sounds today. Perhaps someone could explain to me why over this 3-year period I've never been able to convince myself that this expensive USB cable sounds better than the much cheaper ones I have?...

Mani, I'm confused, why didn't you return it for a full refund? I return anything I don't like, I'm not afraid of salespeople, I just ask for a refund and I get it every time. If it is 5 times the cost of the Lush I guess that would be 1,000-2,000 euros (US1,180 to $1,360) depending on length. That's a hell of a lot of money to be gathering dust in your basement. 

The Lush USB cable is way out of my price range, it doesn't matter how good it sounds I just can't spend 200-400 euros (US$236 to $472) depending on length. I use a cheap 10 foot Dynex USB cable, I don't remember the price but it wasn't very expensive. I was going to try an entry level AudioQuest USB cable but Best Buy didn't have any AudioQuest USB's long enough. I'm happy enough with my Dynex. Is there better sounding USB cables? I'm sure there are. I just won't spend that kind of money on a cable. Perhaps I'm not an audiophile after all despite the fact I love audiophile recordings. I just don't care if there is better sound to be had, as long as I like the sound I have.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

18 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

My Pass amps have it stated right in the manual: 

It takes at least an hour of warm up time to get the best performance out of the amplifier. It will take that long to reach operating temperature and exhibit lowest distortion and noise. This is not a subjective judgement, but based on actual distortion and noise measurements. You may find somewhat greater residual noise coming through the loudspeaker when the amplifier is first turned on, but it will decrease as the amplifier warms up.

Nothing about break-in period, though

Makes sense to me. I turn on my audio system when I get up. It warms up while I take a bath and eat breakfast. :)

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

12 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

If psychoacoustics deceives us but makes us happy then it should be cheap... a lot cheaper than fancy cables, DAC addons, etc.

I love cheap, that is if it sounds like real music to me.

I still love music.

Teresa

19 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Mani, I'm confused, why didn't you return it for a full refund? I return anything I don't like, I'm not afraid of salespeople, I just ask for a refund and I get it every time. If it is 5 times the cost of the Lush I guess that would be 1,000-2,000 euros (US1,180 to $1,360) depending on length. That's a hell of a lot of money to be gathering dust in your basement. 

The Lush USB cable is way out of my price range, it doesn't matter how good it sounds I just can't spend 200-400 euros (US$236 to $472) depending on length. I use a cheap 10 foot Dynex USB cable, I don't remember the price but it wasn't very expensive. I was going to try an entry level AudioQuest USB cable but Best Buy didn't have any AudioQuest USB's long enough. I'm happy enough with my Dynex. Is there better sounding USB cables? I'm sure there are. I just won't spend that kind of money on a cable. Perhaps I'm not an audiophile after all despite the fact I love audiophile recordings. I just don't care if there is better sound to be had, as long as I like the sound I have.

Hi Teresa, it's a mistake I'll never make again. I needed a 3.5m length and was told that it would be a custom order with no refund possible. I've tried to sell it on eBay on a few occasions over the past 3 years to recoup a bit of the money, but have never managed to find a decent buyer.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

Hi Teresa, it's a mistake I'll never make again. I needed a 3.5m length and was told that it would be a custom order with no refund possible. I've tried to sell it on eBay on a few occasions over the past 3 years to recoup a bit of the money, but have never managed to find a decent buyer.

Mani.

That's a real bummer. :( Have you tried Audiogon?

I still love music.

Teresa

11 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I don't buy into the expensive cable crap. And, by the way, there is no science to controvert that!

I don't buy expensive cables either, mainly because I'm a poor audiophile who looks for affordable bargains. I try to use stuff I buy until it breaks down and is too expensive to repair. However, I feel no need to attack or belittle rich people who can afford cables or equipment I cannot.

I still love music.

Teresa

Brash and repetitive.  I hope Mani sees what I lead off the previous page with wasn't a personal attack.  Speed Racer et al appearance in this thread is slowly trending in the direction of settling on him or anyone of greater experience and means as a target.  The reception rational civil minded requests for abatement have received are fast becoming a side investigation of insipid tarted up childhood taunts.  

I had typed this last night (Slight edit for new page).  Low and behold, salt meets wound and compress.  In some minds it is easier to pull down walls in anger than ascribe to betterment.  

10 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

I think that comment gets right to the basic issue causing so much BS on these threads. Not even taking into account the completely condescending tone of your posts, why in the world would you have the nerve or arrogance to think it's up to him/her, or anyone else, to prove anything? It's you and your ilk that are continually stating as fact how impossible these results are. I would think it would be up to you to prove that what's being heard IS delusional. Or, even better, actually try something for yourself, even just once, before spouting off your useless, pointless, unwelcome advice and thoughts.

lasker98, there's an ignore button provided for this purpose. I suggest you use it, instead of assuming you are speaking for everyone here. You are not.

20 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

My Pass amps have it stated right in the manual: 

Nothing about break-in period, though.

I own two Pass Amps,  XA30.5 and a Int-60  Neither have anything written about amp breakin in the owners manual..  Ineresting

The Truth Is Out There

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Calling someone delusional isn't allowed here at CA. Please be respectful.

I do not feel offended because they say 'delusi * n * l' (the forbidden word), on the contrary. In the artistic world of Bonsai could shows that you are creative.

But take my example, I have not told anyone 'deaf’ since a long time. I have been respectful 9_9 

Roch

39 minutes ago, mav52 said:

I own two Pass Amps,  XA30.5 and a Int-60  Neither have anything written about amp breakin in the owners manual..  Ineresting

These manuals almost always say very little and Pass is an excellent designer and builder of audio equipment. The basic characteristics of the SQ are good from the start and usually remain constant throughout their life, otherwise no one would buy them if they are subjected to an initial test. Some gear are put in the factory to burn-in to prove that everything works well (and other things).

In some gear the change is minimal but important, after the burn-in.

Roch

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Kids, kids - plenty of room for all sorts of views.  Being friendly about it is so easy.

Here, simple: I learn plenty from folks who look for objective explanations.  I also love gabbing about what I’ve heard, and read carefully the impressions of people I’ve found have tastes similar to mine.  These two things are not in conflict.

We know the physics of human powered vehicles is well settled, but to Larry’s point, it would get quite old being told to hop on a dyno and prove it every time you said you liked Campy cranksets better.

Thanks Jud, its a long, but long time nobody call me 'kid' :(

Roch

3 hours ago, mav52 said:

Two different issues. 

1) temp equilibration -- this is easily measurable and the manuals recommend a warm up time ~1 hr.

2) long term "break in" not discussed in manual. NP allows that all sorts of electronics seem to settle over time and that this might be due to the listener settling as well.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

nothing about being lawyers, doctors, business executives, IT professionals and academics substitutes for some basic electronics knowledge or the ability to control for confirmation bias

now, if somebody said they were a statistician, that would help

OTOH, these cables may well improve SQ on some DACs or maybe every DAC - but we will never know w/o some listening tests

posting "wow - great" with no specifics does little or nothing; give the specifics about your listening session, equipment, other cable tested against and... WHAT differences you heard

a stmt. that no cable can alter any characteristic of sound is likewise untrue and not helpful

the affirmative has the burden of producing some proof, so...

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Two different issues. 

1) temp equilibration -- this is easily measurable and the manuals recommend a warm up time ~1 hr.

2) long term "break in" not discussed in manual. NP allows that all sorts of electronics seem to settle over time and that this might be due to the listener settling as well.

I just turn them on and let the music play.  Had them too long to worry about break in, burn in, temp equalization, long term, short term etc.. etc..

The Truth Is Out There

I have the Clairixa's Peter's first commercial USB cables. All I can say is they easily beat my Benchmark provided off the shelf USB cord. I presume the Benchmark does comply with the USB standard as a minimum as does the Clairixa. Whether one is better than the other all I can say is I prefer the detailed sound of the Clairixa. I have not moved to the Lush yet. In general I'm happy but somewhere in the future probably will get the Lush.

Bearing in mind I've now moved to the Oppo 205 as my DAC and this easily beats the Benchmark DAC2. Progress is a fine thing!!!!!