IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

46 minutes ago, Tone Deaf said:

That's actually pretty funny.  You are expecting the folks who don't care about proof to provide it to those who do care about it?  I think you are addressing the wrong audience....

yes, you're right - this forum has become a pearls before swine sort of thing recently

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

yes, you're right - this forum has become a pearls before swine sort of thing recently

If you feel that way, then perhaps you should leave the sty. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

14 hours ago, Jud said:

We know the physics of human powered vehicles is well settled, but to Larry’s point, it would get quite old being told to hop on a dyno and prove it every time you said you liked Campy cranksets better.

Aww, @Jud... You had to say it, now I have to take the bait. Really, there is no measurable difference between Shimano and Campy. None. Nada. Zip. It's all "delusional," to quote an infamous skeptic. But, I will admit that when I put the Lush USB inline with Boeing T•9 instead of the usual cables, I get snappier shifts that have put me on the podium 1.21x more often than competitors. :D

(I do ride both. I like 'em both. And SRAM, too. Maybe we need a new thread about how audio systems are like bike geometries and components!)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Believe me Ken, this is nothing compared to the pummeling, ridicule, and character assignation that I am enduring over at ASR right now:(http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/page-21)

They are essentially making an indictment of EVERYTHING upstream of the DAC, but rather than admit that they are focusing relentlessly over there solely on the REGEN products.  We're all about delusion, deceptive, and snake oil you know...:ph34r:

Your gear was tested because someone asked it be tested, and sent it in.  I am sure anyone who wishes to send something in will get it tested.  Another USB cleaner is to be tested in the near future.  If someone would send in a special USB cable that no doubt could get tested as well. 

If anyone has a better idea of how to test the effects of these device on DAC analog outputs, it could be suggested.  If a device sounds different it has to have made a difference in the output. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 09/08/2017 at 7:06 AM, acg said:

Dude, it's like you are stuck in Groundhog Day!

As a pointer, the year is 2017.  It is widely accepted that computer operating systems and power supplies and cpu's and ram and software settings among other things all affect the sound you get from a dac whilst none of them change the bits.  Most people into audio accept this, some don't and more power to them.  

Wow this is a bold statement, anything to back this up....

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Calling someone delusional isn't allowed here at CA. Please be respectful.

I am not calling anyone delusional, and apologise if you think so. I was referring to our perception of hearing which like all our senses is easily fooled hence often it is in a way delusional, based on faulty judgement...

47 minutes ago, marce said:

Wow this is a bold statement, anything to back this up....

I imagine you think getting the power supplies right is important, so why don’t we start from areas of agreement and work from there?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I got a bit miffed, I asked something regarding proof of cable burn in, especially regarding a USB cable and next thing its the usual...

I am deaf,

My system is crap,

etc. etc.

Its a bit like being ravaged by a pack of Chihuahuas. Hence why I went off on one, treat others as they treat you...:D though I prefer usually to turn the other cheek,.

Sorry but I have never seen any proof of cable burn in, it is taking things a bit far, though if proof was presented then I would change my views...

Good design like anything is attention to detail... but you must focus on the right detail, power supplies are critical to any electronic system, very critical, its the heart of the system. 

28 minutes ago, marce said:

I got a bit miffed, I asked something regarding proof of cable burn in, especially regarding a USB cable and next thing its the usual...

I am deaf,

My system is crap,

etc. etc.

Its a bit like being ravaged by a pack of Chihuahuas. Hence why I went off on one, treat others as they treat you...:D though I prefer usually to turn the other cheek,.

Sorry but I have never seen any proof of cable burn in, it is taking things a bit far, though if proof was presented then I would change my views...

Good design like anything is attention to detail... but you must focus on the right detail, power supplies are critical to any electronic system, very critical, its the heart of the system. 

I've never seen data from anyone that measured the effects of cable burn in, from start to some predetermined time.   Is all been about the ears.

The Truth Is Out There

54 minutes ago, marce said:

Firstly I am unsure about how much cable "burn in" isn't actually listener burn in but  perhaps you've seen artifacts on a scope when the leads are shaken -- vibration / motion sensitivity than can occur for a variety of reasons but is seen on scopes. 

Here is is one of many unequivocal demonstrations: 

So unsure what the limits of both measurable or audible settling are, but there are some physical mechanisms which might play a role in at least some situations -- connector settling is another issue.

I don't spend much time being concerned with cable burn in, but I do vibration isolate (ball bearings) all my equipment

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, marce said:

Ask why savvy young people are not becoming audiophiles, why the hobby is full of old men, the average age getting larger each year, magic cables etc.

False, but it is amusing that you've attempted to use experience longer in duration than other have been alive as a pitfall.  Because it implies depth and breadth.  What I see is the old guard willing and able to share their time while being forced to do so from behind ramparts.  People willing to admit a mistake instead of having a caustic meltdown destroying all evidence of it but scarred memories.  I assure you there are plenty of younger people buying old records and old audiophile equipment to use with their computers.

Striking coincidence or not, you decide.  I googled ASR and the top result was a psychological condition that manifests through terror and traumatic reactions.  :P

57 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Firstly I am unsure about how much cable "burn in" isn't actually listener burn in but  perhaps you've seen artifacts on a scope when the leads are shaken -- vibration / motion sensitivity than can occur for a variety of reasons but is seen on scopes. 

Here is is one of many unequivocal demonstrations: 

So unsure what the limits of both measurable or audible settling are, but there are some physical mechanisms which might play a role in at least some situations -- connector settling is another issue.

I don't spend much time being concerned with cable burn in, but I do vibration isolate (ball bearings) all my equipment

I like it! So, to get your system settled in after changing anything (including a cable), you need to play music or white noise at maximum volume for a period of a few days? :)

1 hour ago, marce said:

Its a bit like being ravaged by a pack of Chihuahuas.

:)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I like it! So, to get your system settled in after changing anything (including a cable), you need to play music or white noise at maximum volume for a period of a few days? :)

Or just shake the entire room liberally. ;)