IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

32 minutes ago, jabbr said:

C'mon. DBT with one subject (the other human is doing the swapping)? Really?

It could easily cost $10K to do a real study ... ever done a budget for a funded human study? Maybe this could be crowdfunded to be objective. You are a scientist, so let's see a protocol? Or... yeah too much work, that's my point

I am familiar with human and animal study compliance and had to work under those rules when I was younger.  This is not going to be funded by NSF or NIH, so ...

I've posted a methodology twice now...  certainly 1 person - the buyer;  I check what I buy during the return period

but it would be easy to include 20 people if they want to do a test and pool the results

12 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I've posted a methodology twice now...  certainly 1 person - the buyer;  I check what I buy during the return period

but it would be easy to include 20 people if they want to do a test and pool the results

Can you quote where you posted?

but point being that you weren't trying to be scientifically rigorous? Would you be willing to write up results and submit to a journal? that would be science as opposed to the casual testing we do almost daily... y'know the kind with statistics, measures of validity, pre-test probabilities post test etc, discussion of stats methods e.g. ? Bayesian etc... that's all a bit of work ... and then your friendly Editors would think you've been hitting the sauce too hard ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

yes, but not hard to do a simple t-test

Are you a scientist, jabbr?  scientifically rigorous is a fairly wide landscape...

I am not personally going to submit audio test gear results to a journal - not my thang.

sample size of 20 is adequate to show a large effect - in fact, I've seen people do 5 in each ANOVA cell 

as one person noted, this isn't testing for thalidomide; just a consumer product for which we'd like to avoid consumer fraud but need not be concerned with death rates, contra-indications, or serious side effects

I just swapped the USPCB back in for the Lush.  The difference was jarring.  I didn't expect the difference to be so immediately apparent - and in a sense, profound.  A different presentation - in an exaggerated sense it was big, full and meaty vs, clear, tight and precise.  

So which do I prefer?  I want both.  LOL

It's still to early to state a definitive preference, but at this early juncture the USPCB may achieve the balance that aligns a bit better with my listening preferences.  We shall see if that remains the case after more listening and further burn in of the Lush.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I don't even remember where here I posted it.  Think I have done so twice.  No one is hearing tribo-electric effect as audio gear is normally used.

That's what you think ... I worry about tribolectric, because I wouldn't get the SQ I'm after if I didn't. The subtle effects are where the real action is - one knows this, because the sound degrades back to conventional stereo playback when insufficient care has been taken to address these areas.

This continual hammering away with wanting poor quality testing to "prove" something, decade after decade after decade, will result in zero movement forward at any stage - until there are some changes of attitude ...

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

What if a company was successful without ever taking out a single advertisement?  A couple million dollars in sales over a few years without a single ad buy?  Is that enough of a pure "free market" for you?

don't take it the wrong way or applying to you, but today a co. - let's say a co. making cables filled with a toxic liquid metal - could get lots of sales from users posting on the internet (either by conf. bias or by shilling) without ever taking out a single advertisement

------------

jabbr - I largely agree

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

don't take it the wrong way or applying to you, but today a co. - let's say a co. making cables filled with a toxic liquid metal - could get lots of sales from users posting on the internet (either by conf. bias or by shilling) without ever taking out a single advertisement

Yeah so I draw a very very  sharp distinction on that one where the technical claims are entirely pseudoscientific and unsupported by any theory let alone measurement. Like I don't even care what the results of a DBT would be...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

A different presentation - in an exaggerated sense it was big, full and meaty vs, clear, tight and precise.

Interesting. "Big, full and meaty" being the Lush and "clear, tight and precise" being the USPCB?

Although I've never heard one, from people's descriptions of it the USPCB sounds very similar to the Clarixa USB cable. If I'm using my SET amps, I prefer the Clarixa, but using my low-distortion/high-bandwidth gainclones I prefer the Lush. I would have thought the sound of the Lush would be a better match with your Spectral amps...

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

The difference was jarring.

I can well imagine.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

I guess you've not read some of the feedback I got on this and on other threads, including from some manufacturers (not PeterSt!) It wasn't pretty.

No, not into any of these. But I am into astronomy and astrophotography, and I'm just as passionate about equipment, measurement, and objective data there as I am in audio.  More so, because there I've invented and published tools to enable objective evaluation and measurements without a major investment in lab equipment. I also would never purchase a telescope or a CCD camera that didn't have published measurements and specs.

As you might have seen in my posts here, I have no beef with those buying. I do want to see more accountability and transparency from manufacturers about products they sell. PeterSt was kind enough to engage me and others in a question/answer session, and although he was a bit dodgy, he did try to explain what he thinks Lush cable is doing to the signal. No measurements provided, no direct answer, except that it's not made to USB 2.0 specification. So, once again, I'm curious. That's why I'm asking questions. That's why I would love to see measurements. Sorry if you feel that this is an affront to you and others. You have the right to discuss your subjective impressions. I have the right to ask for objective data and measurements. We can both do this without constantly trying to defend our positions.

For my understanding, what would one measure on a USB cable and what signal (s) would be necessary

The Truth Is Out There

42 minutes ago, mav52 said:

For my understanding, what would one measure on a USB cable and what signal (s) would be necessary

Since Lush is said not to conform to USB 2.0 spec, it would be interesting to see what exactly it does. RLC, bandwidth, FR, response to square wave at 480MHz, the eye diagram.

Ultimately, what's most important is the signal at the output of a decent DAC. For this, a comparison between a good $10 USB cord and Lush in an un-averaged FFT plot would be good. Driven with a J-test signal for jitter analysis, zoomed out, and zoomed in areas around the primary test tone (per jabbr). Possibly a multi-tone FFT, if that helps bring out a difference.  Anything else Peter might think of to demonstrate that Lush actually alters the analog audio output compared to a basic cable. 

Just now, barrows said:

While I as well would like to see such measurements, what if these measurements show no/little difference?  There are valid reasons why some audiophiles do not put much value in measurements, and no, it is not because (they/we) are living in some kind of world of make believe, it is because most experienced audiophiles have heard a component which measures perfectly well (via the standard set of audio measurements) and sounds absolutely horrific.  

I'll quote my own post of only a few hours ago, highlighting the portion I see as relevant:

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

As you might have seen in my posts here, I have no beef with those buying. I do want to see more accountability and transparency from manufacturers about products they sell.

So, once again, I'm curious. That's why I'm asking questions. That's why I would love to see measurements. Sorry if you feel that this is an affront to you and others. You have the right to discuss your subjective impressions. I have the right to ask for objective data and measurements. We can both do this without constantly trying to defend our positions.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Since Lush is said not to conform to USB 2.0 spec, it would be interesting to see what exactly it does. RLC, bandwidth, FR, response to square wave at 480MHz, the eye diagram.

Ultimately, what's most important is the signal at the output of a decent DAC. For this, a comparison between a good $10 USB cord and Lush in an un-averaged FFT plot would be good. Driven with a J-test signal for jitter analysis, zoomed out, and zoomed in areas around the primary test tone (per jabbr). Possibly a multi-tone FFT, if that helps bring out a difference.  Anything else Peter might think of to demonstrate that Lush actually alters the analog audio output compared to a basic cable. 

27 minutes ago, barrows said:

While I as well would like to see such measurements, what if these measurements show no/little difference?  There are valid reasons why some audiophiles do not put much value in measurements, and no, it is not because (they/we) are living in some kind of world of make believe, it is because most experienced audiophiles have heard a component which measures perfectly well (via the standard set of audio measurements) and sounds absolutely horrific.  Take a look at John Atkinson's (stereophile.com) DAC measurements: there are many where distortion products are well below the threshold of perception (at least commonly understood thresholds), but audiophiles clearly hear (and yes, even "blinded") distinct differences.  

My belief is that indeed, measurements are for sure necessary, at the very least to make sure that something is not terribly wrong with a product, but that the current set of measurements is not enough to adequately equate to audio sound quality, especially at the high end, where minute details at impossibly low signal levels, are what it is about.  As it appears the human ear/brain mechanism is more sensitive to time based distortions, perhaps we should concentrate on measurements in the time domain rather than the mostly static commonly accepted measurements.  Nordost tried to do this  a few years back, but when their protocol (using actual music signals) showed measured differences between cables, the deniers pushed back so hard (saying the measurements are invalid BECAUSE they show a difference in performance of cables, how ironic is that!) that the program was abandoned (at least in public).

Peter, I know that you have stated the LUSH is not built to USB spec, but this could mean many things: clearly at the very least it is not built to the design spec, which requires twisted pairs and shielding, but that does not mean the LUSH does not meet the USB performance spec (for impedance and bandwidth).  Many current high end USB cables are not built to the USB design spec, but many of those same cables do meet the performance spec (and sometimes greatly exceed the spec for bandwidth, looking for improved performance, like Lightspeed)-it appears from his cagey responses that Peter's LUSH may not meet the performance standards for bandwidth/impedance?

My curiosity is about the design of the cable itself, I know Peter appears not willing to mention this preferring to, keep it proprietary, which of course is his right for his intellectual property, but I am curious.  So far the little actual technical build info I have gleaned form his comments is that the dialectic is mostly air (not unusual for a high end USB cable).  Having the LUSH here, the one observation I can make is that the (rather burly feeling) outer jacket seems to be woven cotton... which is fairly unusual for a USB cable.

On the listening side, I am wondering what people are thinking: is the LUSH actually performing better than other cables, that is producing all the musical details while eliminating some kind of artifacts (distortions), OR is the LUSH producing a euphonic kind of sound by somewhat softening the focus, perhaps softening the edges and softening the artifacts/distortions at the same time?

After experimenting with many products, reading what the product manufacturers or engineers say in forums or state in formal documents about their products, and reading the opinions of others in multiple forums who test these products, I have come to the conclusion that many are sound shaping.  Please note my use of the term "shaping" as opposed to cleaning or clarifying or any other term describing getting to the artist's originally recorded and intended sound.  This shaping is akin to DSP.  In fact I view it as identical.

I don't think sound shaping is a bad thing and it has its purposes.  We use DSP to adjust sound so that it's more pleasant to our ears or in room correction.  With regards to the Lush I think it does a good job of reproducing the sound.  I have only put a couple hours into listening with it, and that's from an sMS-200 to my DAC.  It won't work direct from my server to my DAC because my DAC's server driver's requirement to spec.  That said, I definitely hear an extended midrange and bass presence.  Why exactly is Peter's secret sauce and if he reveals the why then others can copy it.  Although they could probably dissect the cable and figure it out.  He's agreed to provide some analysis results when he returns from holiday.  If he does, then great.  If not, I'll just enjoy what the cable offers anyway.

In my opinion, a device or really the engineer creating the device, will make it to be as neutral and transparent as possible including designing the device to not pass or introduce noise/distortion/jitter/etc. Or they will intentionally design it to present sonic characteristics, also referred to as a sonic signature.  This may not always be intentional.  SOtM uses filters to remove noise and in doing so does shape the sound, but it's in an effort to clean the signal, not to influence as with DSP.  I could be wrong, and they could be applying filters to achieve a specific sound, but from what I've read it's to filter noise.  However, the inclusion or removal of noise has a direct impact on sound.

Unless we know the engineer's true intention, backed up with measurements and statistics, then we won't know if their product is designed to present the cleanest, true reproduction of the recording or they are shaping the sound to be warm and more analog like or some other signature type.  In the end it doesn't matter if you like how it sounds unless the engineer is misleading you to believe they are cleaning noise and you're getting the true reproduction, when in fact you're getting a DSP modified sound. 

7 hours ago, manisandher said:

If I'm using my SET amps, I prefer the Clarixa, but using my low-distortion/high-bandwidth gainclones I prefer the Lush. I would have thought the sound of the Lush would be a better match with your Spectral amps...

The fullness of the Lush balances nicely with my Spectral gear.  Likewise the greater focus, clarity and temporal precision of the USPCB balance really well too. 

When the two are compared - it becomes evident that the Lush gives up some focus, clarity and timing precision - and the USPCB gives up some liquidity and lushness.  As one more rhythmically inclined (I'm a drummer), I find it more difficult to give up on the timing precision, as that was one of the things that ended me up with Spectral in the first place.  

I do hear a bit of smearing in the upper frequencies with the Lush relative to the USPCB - and that's partly what detracts from timing precision.  I'm wondering if that will lessen with more burn-in.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Unless we know the engineer's true intention, backed up with measurements and statistics, then we won't know if their product is designed to present the cleanest, true reproduction of the recording or they are shaping the sound to be warm and more analog like or some other signature type.  In the end it doesn't matter if you like how it sounds unless the engineer is misleading you to believe they are cleaning noise and you're getting the true reproduction, when in fact you're getting a DSP modified sound.

I think the above remark represents a "slippery slope" so to speak.  The idea that, "... it doesn't matter" is not actually true in my mind, as here is the problem with this approach:  If one is trying to build a system that is true to the music (recording), then that system should be as neutral (in tonality terms) and as resolving (in terms of musical details and without any artifacts) as possible.  If components are being developed to "shape" sound we are away from being true to the recording, we are actually building a system which leans towards making all recordings sound a certain way.

The problem becomes more apparent when mixing and matching components:  the audiophile ends up in an endless balancing act, mixing "warm/soft" interconnects with cold/hard amplification, and on...  this results in problems every time a new component is brought into the system for evaluation, as the component in question may be neutral and resolving and "perfect" in every way, but in the flawed (shaped) system, this component may seem to not be so perfect...

While we hear much discussion about "musical" systems, and often how systems can be made "musical" by actually softening the sound (SET amplification, etc), in my experience, the very best and most musical systems which I have heard are the ones with the ultimate resolution and the least artifacts, and are not "softened" or "smoothed" to make them more musical.  Ultimately, the system with the most resolution, and the least artifacts, sounds the best, as it relaxes the demands made on the ear brain system and allows for deeper listening (connection with the music).

In regards to LUSH, my question would be: is LUSH accurate, and as such is it increasing resolution and reducing artifacts, such that the listener hears more music and makes a greater connection, or, is it reducing resolution in some sense, performing a "cover up" of musical artifacts?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio