IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Coming back to the IKEA Aptitlig chopping board. I bought one the other day and cut it in half. To use them for Entreq earth boxes. There was also some material left of the board to make 6 feet. See picture.

Would it be a better choice in using like Herbie´s tenderfeet (or other ) under each? Have not experimented with other feet yet!

They are placed on the floor. Entreq earth boxes should be placed away from metal. 

Thanks //Magnus

IMG_20200720_192915.jpg

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

5 hours ago, magnuska said:

Entreq earth boxes should be placed away from metal. 

Why ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 hours ago, sandyk said:

Why ?

Sorry I can´t say why from a tech point of view. This comes from the manual. 

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

22 hours ago, magnuska said:

Coming back to the IKEA Aptitlig chopping board. I bought one the other day and cut it in half. To use them for Entreq earth boxes. There was also some material left of the board to make 6 feet. See picture.

Would it be a better choice in using like Herbie´s tenderfeet (or other ) under each? Have not experimented with other feet yet!

They are placed on the floor. Entreq earth boxes should be placed away from metal. 

Thanks //Magnus

IMG_20200720_192915.jpg

I have good experiences with the Iso acoustic Gaia feet for my speakers so I ordered a set of Iso puck mini also from Iso acoustic.

1 hour ago, magnuska said:

I have good experiences with the Iso acoustic Gaia feet for my speakers so I ordered a set of Iso puck mini also from Iso acoustic.

I just put some Gaia I's on my speakers. It made a change but I'm still not sure how and if I like it. At first impression it sounded like the soundstage shrunk. My speakers are Persona 9H's with powered woofers in each. They had been on carpet spikes. I do also have the Isoacoustics Gaia carpet spike adapter so will try those with them next. 

4 minutes ago, bobfa said:

You need to get the coupling right. Sitting on carpet without a base or their bases does not allow the isolation to work. 

I will be move to the carpet spike bases soon

651073E6-0E3F-4663-9607-83E7BB7732A1.thumb.jpeg.595cdc2dbfe493a02e60a0ccec093d84.jpegF75D3967-007C-464E-97BE-6E796FC9D3A3.thumb.jpeg.3df2c6ababfea1af87a5bd6f574a599f.jpeg

Thanks Bob.  Hoping for some magic when I add the spikes now.

43 minutes ago, bobfa said:

You need to get the coupling right. Sitting on carpet without a base or their bases does not allow the isolation to work. 

I will be move to the carpet spike bases soon

651073E6-0E3F-4663-9607-83E7BB7732A1.thumb.jpeg.595cdc2dbfe493a02e60a0ccec093d84.jpegF75D3967-007C-464E-97BE-6E796FC9D3A3.thumb.jpeg.3df2c6ababfea1af87a5bd6f574a599f.jpeg

I would love to hear the Kii Three some day. I’m sure those are some serious speakers. I’m sure the room correction is is impressive. This is the future of high end audio in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Let us know how that goes. I admit I don't quite understand the mechanisms at play here.

I'm in the same boat.  I hear huge benefit under DACs and power supplies (and I'm comfortable that I at least have a hypothesis why), but I don't have a working theory why there would be an impact with transducers (not saying that there isn't!)

The physical displacement distances would have a vanishingly small impact on phase alignment. The only other thing I can think of is draining unwanted resonances from the case work, but that would be hugely speaker/room dependent.  This is an intriguing area to explore and understand.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

https://isoacoustics.com/isoacoustics-speaker-isolation-technology/

The above link goes into some detail about how the isolators work.  Each side of the isolation system has to be coupled properly.  I am currently using platforms made out of 3/4in MDF so that I can adjust the speaker locations.  My plan is to put the carpet spikes under mine.  The physics of placing the spike plates under the Kii Threes is a bit odd.  I have a plan when the time comes.  

17 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I'm in the same boat.  I hear huge benefit under DACs and power supplies (and I'm comfortable that I at least have a hypothesis why), but I don't have a working theory why there would be an impact with transducers (not saying that there isn't!)

The physical displacement distances would have a vanishingly small impact on phase alignment. The only other thing I can think of is draining unwanted resonances from the case work, but that would be hugely speaker/room dependent.  This is an intriguing area to explore and understand.

I have a tile floor. The Gia’s make much more sense to me than the spikes that came with my speakers. Not the same situation, I know. The speaker with the Gia’s sounded better to my ears. More controlled bass.

1 hour ago, ray-dude said:

i wonder if the benefits heard under DAC and power supply are also observed with headphones, as well as with your speakers?

this would give us an indication of whether the mechanism is immunity from the outside (i.e. the speakers setting the room ablaze with impulses) or removing inherent resonances/etc that originate in the electronics

38 minutes ago, cat6man said:

i wonder if the benefits heard under DAC and power supply are also observed with headphones, as well as with your speakers?

this would give us an indication of whether the mechanism is immunity from the outside (i.e. the speakers setting the room ablaze with impulses) or removing inherent resonances/etc that originate in the electronics

I use Synergistic Research MiG 2.0 footers under my Chord DAVE.  They make an obvious difference listening through my Hifiman HE1000se headphones.  I'm sure there a better footers available, but I like these a lot for the price.  I buy them used. 

Hi Buffalo Soldiers 😉

Quick question for the more techy savvy peeps.

Is it possible to tell from this photo of the Buffalo BS-GS2016 board what type of connector this is?

image.thumb.png.85342e681dfdc4cab404159c7719308f.png

Reason I ask is that @Exocer posted a Classified selling a few Ghent cables along the lines of:

Gotham OFC JSSG360 Molex-6P to DC 2.5/5.5 DC Cable

That got me thinking for for the less technical like myself perhaps a custom Ghent cable that allows me to connect a DC power supply (LPS-1.2, Farad etc) on 12V directly to the Buffalo board is probably a nice safe option to experiment with.

I know there is a thread about bypassing the 12V stage but that's too extreme for me. 😬

Is it possible to tell what the 12V input board connector is from the photo? Or do I need to open the Buffalo to find out?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 7/18/2020 at 3:46 AM, Chris_Shorter said:

I do use Tidal and my observations of how Roon works with it are as follows:

Play of the first item begins and Roon rushes ahead and buffers the first track and the whole of the second one. As soon as the second item becomes current, Roon buffers the whole of the third item. And so on until the last item is reached when Roon just plays it and there is nothing to buffer. I presume the buffering is to RAM in the server? So, except for the first item, all tracks are played entirely from RAM. 

if you have a playlist where Tidal tracks follow local content, you can see the first Tidal track buffering when the last track of local content becomes current.

I believe Roon’s buffering approach goes beyond doing this just with Tidal and Qobuz streams and it is actually also doing it with local content as well, if it is in the playlist. Of course, this buffering happens much, much quicker than with internet streams and so is more difficult to see happening. Maybe, other forum members have access to network tools that would confirm or deny my belief?

Operating like this, I would expect local FLAC and Tidal FLAC to sound pretty much identical and this is my experience.

I’m assuming when you say local FLAC, you mean your own music files off your hard drives and that they sound the same as streaming from Tidal?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Yes, Alan, this is a Molex 09-50-1041 SPOX Crimp Housing  that plugs into Molex 09-65-2048 Header on the switch board.

Thanks @elan120,

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 7/21/2020 at 5:32 PM, cat6man said:

I’ve tried tons of exotic second mortgage level footers and it was always a hit or miss because these footer companies can’t possibly take into account all the different audio chassises plus how the interior components react to resonance and stored mechcanical energy within their chassises.  There are simply too many variables for a footer to be a “one size fits all” solution. I have been tuning my Audio chassis and cables with wood for 20 years and I’ve had great success.  Mike Vans Evers, a Stereo Times writer and audio industry guy as well as the late Charles Hanson both started telling me I really should be tuning with wood, which really got me started. See the attached article from Stereotimes.

http://www.stereotimes.com/comm080100.shtml

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I know there is a thread about bypassing the 12V stage but that's too extreme for me. 😬

Too extreme for me too.😊

I would be interested in buying such a molex to dc female cable from Guent, if he was able to make one up. Indeed @Nenon suggested asking Guent a while ago, IIRC. 

Out of interest, how does the Buffalo GS2016, with stock PSU, compare to a Cisco switch, Alan? (if you've ever compared)

3 hours ago, Vangelis said:

I’ve tried tons of exotic second mortgage level footers and it was always a hit or miss because these footer companies can’t possibly take into account all the different audio chassises plus how the interior components react to resonance and stored mechcanical energy within their chassises.  There are simply too many variables for a footer to be a “one size fits all” solution. I have been tuning my Audio chassis and cables with wood for 20 years and I’ve had great success.  Mike Vans Evers, a Stereo Times writer and audio industry guy as well as the late Charles Hanson both started telling me I really should be tuning with wood, which really got me started. See the attached article from Stereotimes.

I really can't agree with the first few sentences given the tremendous success I've had with Stillpoints Ultra products.  Just a week ago three used sets of Ultra SS arrived.  These were swapped for Nordost Sort Kones BC under my Zenith Mk3 and for Stillpoints Ultra Mini under my HMS and TT2.  Remarkable the improvement to tone purity, image focus, and transient speed as a result of this swap. Yes Stillpoints are pricy, but the purity of tone that comes forth from them is insanely addictive.  That's why you'll find that most folks who have introduced Stillpoints into their systems have gone nuts with them.  And once you have them under everything, the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts.  

Having said all that I've not experimented much with wood. The little that I have tells me that this becomes more an exercise in tuning or flavoring the sound to more to one's liking.  I have avoided that approach when selecting components and cables - opting instead to take steps that cause my system to get the heck out of the way of the music.  This approach keeps proving itself to have been the correct one (for me, at least).  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256