IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 hours ago, Nenon said:

Buffalo switches - does the 8-port model sound like the 16-port model? Time to find out.

IMG_3472.jpg.87eb724c6119479f7d98b1f6c73f6c20.jpg

But first, some serious burn-in time needed.

Am waiting for my 2008 to arrive as well! What DC Voltage does it take? I might get another dual rail ciunas ISO-PS to power them

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

@tgb, With the BS-GS2016, the bottom ports are preferred. Not sure which ports are audibly superior on the 24 port model. Which ports are you using?

I have a bone stock BS-GS2016P and I do not consider it to add harshness to the sound I get with my LPS 1.2 powered Etherregen downstream. This is only with the "proper" ports in use. The top ports sharpen the sounds too much.

Hi Exocer,

I tried diffrent prots & SQ is quite equal... not good.

With the GS2024, the architecture is quite different from 2008 & 2016.

For instance, you have 2 heat sinks, the HSink 1, like 2016s, seems to manage the 12 first ports, this one is quite hot at 43°C ; the 2nd one seems to manage the last 12 ports & the SFPs and is much colder at 32°C. This diff in temperature is very big and may have a role in the switching... don't know.

Given that, I tested :

port 2-3, then forward 5-7, bottom of the 1st buch ports 10-12

on the 2nd bunch : port 14-16, then forward 18-20, and then 22-SFP thru 24

I mixed both bunches : SFP (port24) + port 2 etc...

etc...

after "a while", all ports will be burnt ! for sure !

Another point : the vendor sent it in the carton box they received from Buffalo. It was the last one in the box of 2 switches, they found convenient to send the big box.

There is a label on the box with Buffalo stamps etc with the shpping date from Buffalo : June '18. This make me think it is quite an old one, & maybe needs for extra-time to burn... don't know... 🙂

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

1 hour ago, tgb said:

Hi Exocer,

I tried diffrent prots & SQ is quite equal... not good.

With the GS2024, the architecture is quite different from 2008 & 2016.

For instance, you have 2 heat sinks, the HSink 1, like 2016s, seems to manage the 12 first ports, this one is quite hot at 43°C ; the 2nd one seems to manage the last 12 ports & the SFPs and is much colder at 32°C. This diff in temperature is very big and may have a role in the switching... don't know.

Given that, I tested :

port 2-3, then forward 5-7, bottom of the 1st buch ports 10-12

on the 2nd bunch : port 14-16, then forward 18-20, and then 22-SFP thru 24

I mixed both bunches : SFP (port24) + port 2 etc...

etc...

after "a while", all ports will be burnt ! for sure !

Another point : the vendor sent it in the carton box they received from Buffalo. It was the last one in the box of 2 switches, they found convenient to send the big box.

There is a label on the box with Buffalo stamps etc with the shpping date from Buffalo : June '18. This make me think it is quite an old one, & maybe needs for extra-time to burn... don't know... 🙂

Rgds

If it's that old it could certainly use a firmware update. That being said, I updated my firmware shortly after powering up the device for the first time so I do not know if the firmware update improved sound quality.

There were some recommended configurations as well. I'm on my mobile device at the moment so I would suggest checking my post history in search of the post where I mention the configurations used by @austinpop ,mainly around disabling lldp , powersaving features and disabling unused ports.

Hopefully things get better!

I just got the Monoprice Slimrun. It won't connect to Dave or anywhere in my chain for some reason. When I plug it into my MacBook Pro and connect the other end to a USB cable into Dave, it works fine. 

However, when I plug it into my tx-USBUltra, or IsoRegen, or SMS200, Dave doesn't perform a handshake. I know that it is USB2.0 compatible, so I'm not sure what the issue is. 

Is there a trick to getting it to connect to a DAC with 2.0. devices?

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Just chuckling at the way you phrased that! I'm picturing her sitting in white robes in the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, surrounded by pairs of Buffalo switches. :D

No offense intended whatsoever. I'm actually just reminiscing about a memorable driving trip in your beautiful country 2 summers ago, and hoping to go again after this Covid nightmare is over.

Everyone knows that the most important gurus live in India and they do not need to use switches to transmit ultimate truth through all kinds of networks... 🙂

My 2nd Buffalo BS-GS2016(P) has arrived. I also ordered a Ghent JSSG360 Linkway Cat8 cable to compare with the CableMatters CAT8. The Buffalo BS-GS2016 pair + Etherregen is likely going to be my endgame network solution... incremental DC tweaks will commence from here on out.

Sad to admit this but I'm running out of AC outlets 😂 so I've created a spreadsheet to manage my outlets and plan for proper LPSUs with multiple rails to improve SQ...

More to follow.

Oh and my 8 Herbie's footers (firm, regular height Tenderfoots) have arrived. I have placed 4 under my Yggdrasil and another 4 under my music server. Wondering why I didn't do this sooner. I hear an improvement in imaging and soundstage. I could only imagine what some Panzerholz would do...

1 hour ago, tgb said:

hi,

2nd attempt, I finally managed to boot & stream music with my GS2024 using 3 external PS, bypassing the internal regulation from 12 to 3.3/1.5/1V.

That's was just a rough test. It works.

Next step : find the right way to give it a clean current.

The trick is : as you all notice, the heat sink is quite hot (the 2nd one on my GS2024 is mild vs the common one), thus nearly all the power goes thru these 3 tiny voltages, thus : high current.

Please find here my report => http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-16891-post-378333.html#pid378333

If Google translate get stuck with my French, I'll post here the ENG version. Just ask.

Rgds

Hi tgb 

I also attempted this with my 2016 switch but stopped because of a few problems.

I used a 2A regulator for all the voltages and that was not enough for the 1V. So you are using a 5A regulator for the 1V, does it get hot? The next problem I thought of was the input of the three regulators because I wanted to use only one voltage for all three regulators, 4V. And 3V of voltage drop over the 1V regulator may have been to much power to dissipate for my ldovr regulator boards I was using.
Why don’t you remove the switch mode regulator coils and solder the input wires to those islands? 
I love hear from you how it sounds and if this mod is worth it. 👍

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 hours ago, tgb said:

hi,

2nd attempt, I finally managed to boot & stream music with my GS2024 using 3 external PS, bypassing the internal regulation from 12 to 3.3/1.5/1V.

That's was just a rough test. It works.

Next step : find the right way to give it a clean current.

The trick is : as you all notice, the heat sink is quite hot (the 2nd one on my GS2024 is mild vs the common one), thus nearly all the power goes thru these 3 tiny voltages, thus : high current.

Please find here my report => http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-16891-post-378333.html#pid378333

If Google translate get stuck with my French, I'll post here the ENG version. Just ask.

Rgds

Perhaps offtopic here, but please post in my DIY thread - 

I am sure many people would appreciate your post. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Hi RickyV & Nenon,

yesteday eve I had no time to do it (too late) 

I think the best is to gather this special modd on GS20xx switches on a dedicated thread, in the network part of this forum => here it is : 

@ RickyV, I posted there my reply to your post

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

On 7/8/2020 at 6:06 AM, austinpop said:

I don't use Tidal anymore, but I suspect the same applies.

I do use Tidal and my observations of how Roon works with it are as follows:

Play of the first item begins and Roon rushes ahead and buffers the first track and the whole of the second one. As soon as the second item becomes current, Roon buffers the whole of the third item. And so on until the last item is reached when Roon just plays it and there is nothing to buffer. I presume the buffering is to RAM in the server? So, except for the first item, all tracks are played entirely from RAM. 

if you have a playlist where Tidal tracks follow local content, you can see the first Tidal track buffering when the last track of local content becomes current.

I believe Roon’s buffering approach goes beyond doing this just with Tidal and Qobuz streams and it is actually also doing it with local content as well, if it is in the playlist. Of course, this buffering happens much, much quicker than with internet streams and so is more difficult to see happening. Maybe, other forum members have access to network tools that would confirm or deny my belief?

Operating like this, I would expect local FLAC and Tidal FLAC to sound pretty much identical and this is my experience.