IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 6/21/2020 at 12:03 AM, lmitche said:

Last year Emile sent me three Daiza vibration damping and control platforms of three different sizes. The big one is under my heavy Modwright KWA150 SE amp, one under an LPS1.2 powering an Adnaco USB hub, and the smallest under my DAC. All are made from Panzerholtz and have anti-vibration grooves cut into the bottom. Each is supported by three legs. Here is a picture.

https://taikoaudio.com/product/daiza/

They sound terrific! The DAC platform had the most impact here so start there. Highly recommended.

I like ASRMichael's use of Panzerholtz wood in his build. Way cool!

Larry

I have been using Panzerholtz for a while as a component in my turntable support it has produced a significant improvement. Have also implemented it in some diy supports for smaller components.

Besides being used in grand pianos Panzerholtz has some other, very interesting, properties as explained in this pdf.

https://www.delignit.de/fileadmin/downloads/produkte/Produktdatenblatt_Delignit_Panzerholz_Protect_EN.pdf

_DSC6461.thumb.JPG.759a6f241f31ef155a107326b4544112.JPG_DSC6460.thumb.JPG.c27ad4d5efcd0a66f29479dc2902fc2a.JPG

_DSC6464.thumb.JPG.045cbf143abb516ca9a9872994d4b8b9.JPG

Has anyone compared the Cable Matters SFTP Cat8 Ethernet Cable VS Ghent Ethernet Cable ?

I have the Cable Matters being better than both the BJ Cat6A & Audioquest Cinnamon in my system

Any suggestions ?

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

2 hours ago, dctom said:

Besides being used in grand pianos Panzerholtz has some other, very interesting, properties as explained in this pdf.

It’s always good  to know that if a grenade goes off in your room the turntable support will survive. 😀

Or maybe during a apocalypse you can protect yourself and your family with turntable support. 😀

Where did you order it from? Seriously. 
I may need some protection too in the near future, not serious again. 😀

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 6/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, flkin said:

I purchased he latest version from Max Townshend and in some ways I received good results, but mostly it was again negative. What a downer - the anti-vibration and isolation theory was sound but practically it didn’t play out. Mids too forward and harder. It was supposed to provide immediate improvements - and without any breaking in time!

When I got to this part, my reaction was "no way!" lol. I'm also a recent owner of Townshend Podium. I bought them to placate my downstair neighbor mostly. It didn't help much in that regard. But the sound improvement was immediate and satisfying. These are the keepers.

Then I read the rest of your post. What do you know, I have used DIY Duelund tinner wire in the past as my previous speakers internal wiring! But have been using Western Electric tinned copper wire everywhere (IC + SC) for few years now. Duelund hook up took the concept from W.E. popularized by Jeff Day's blog. Anyway, those DIY WE wire replaced my $2.5k worth of interconnect and speaker cables and it was an improvement. Haven't tempted to try any other brands of analog cable since then.

10 hours ago, Downtheline said:

Hi Peter,  did you ever make this comparison? If so, did you try 2 units of the ER X SFP?

Hello!

Yes, I forgot to let you know.

Along with the Buffalos I had listened to the Ubiquiti router(s) as a plain switch(es).

Nenon had written the day before. He had listened to this thing.

Buffalo switches are a totally different story. They play miles better than Ubiquitis.

It seems that Ubiquiti is the best choice for routers and Buffalo the best for switches.

Imaging was far bigger with Buffalos, low & high frequencies were shockingly real. Ubiquiti was sounding a lot more harsh against Buffalos.

I have observed that the comments of Nenon are always in line with my own findings. He has gone through the path previously than me, so he already knows.

It is a real pity that Buffalos are discontinued and not available any more.

Go and get as many as you can, although I guess that the last pieces have already been completely vanished from the market. Either 8- or 16- or 24- ports, go grab them at any price. In quad version they offer a stratospheric sound quality. Last choice could be the commercial version of Melco although at a much increased price.

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
1 hour ago, shahed99 said:

When I got to this part, my reaction was "no way!" lol. I'm also a recent owner of Townshend Podium. I bought them to placate my downstair neighbor mostly. It didn't help much in that regard. But the sound improvement was immediate and satisfying. These are the keepers.

Then I read the rest of your post. What do you know, I have used DIY Duelund tinner wire in the past as my previous speakers internal wiring! But have been using Western Electric tinned copper wire everywhere (IC + SC) for few years now. Duelund hook up took the concept from W.E. popularized by Jeff Day's blog. Anyway, those DIY WE wire replaced my $2.5k worth of interconnect and speaker cables and it was an improvement. Haven't tempted to try any other brands of analog cable since then.

Ah how interesting! I got there with the Townshend Podiums eventually after switching to tinned copper. It wasn’t an immediate step up for me but took some rearrangement of cables to get there. 

Right now I’m finding a naturalness and correctness to the sound that I haven’t heard before with the tinned copper loom. But one thing unusual I noticed is the daily variations of sound seems to be more than before. One day, it’s spot on sound and another day bass gets fatter or soundstage is smaller. I suppose it’s to do with breaking in as it’s happening less over time. 

You say you’ve switched over to $2.5k wires, is this still tinned copper?

3 hours ago, shahed99 said:

I'm also a recent owner of Townshend Podium. I bought them to placate my downstair neighbor mostly. It didn't help much in that regard

Brilliant 😂 

I came very close to buying the Townsend but went with the Gaia footers instead. Big increase in the SQ and focus of the image.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 6/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, thm655321 said:

Not sure if I should pose this question in a separate thread or here but I thought I would start here anyways.

Maybe a good idea 😀

On 6/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, thm655321 said:

Have I successfully avoided the whole audiophile switch issue by doing the direct lan connection this way?

I don’t think so. If I understand you correctly you have bridge your QNAP. 

Also if I understand you correctly your PC has USB out to your DAC. If your goal is better SQ, I suppose the Iso Regen is the way to obtain some better SQ.

I personally think it’s best to keep the QNAP away audiophile system location. Adding the one or two optical module will probably help. Adding an etherRegen is better. 

You may like to try Roon on you QNAP ? Then your PC can act as an endpoint.

Or install (Roon) ROCK on your PC, move it to office location, buy a endpoint and insert the etherRegen in between. 

But I guess your question was how to obtain better SQ with your present gear 😀

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Maybe a good idea 😀

I don’t think so. If I understand you correctly you have bridge your QNAP. 

Also if I understand you correctly your PC has USB out to your DAC. If your goal is better SQ, I suppose the Iso Regen is the way to obtain some better SQ.

I personally think it’s best to keep the QNAP away audiophile system location. Adding the one or two optical module will probably help. Adding an etherRegen is better. 

You may like to try Roon on you QNAP ? Then your PC can act as an endpoint.

Or install (Roon) ROCK on your PC, move it to office location, buy a endpoint and insert the etherRegen in between. 

But I guess your question was how to obtain better SQ with your present gear 😀

Which Qnap? The Audiophile Qnaps are essentially the same as NUCs, often with some very noisy parts inside.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

24 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Which Qnap? The Audiophile Qnaps are essentially the same as NUCs, often with some very noisy parts inside.

Exactly why I suggest him to reallocate his QNAP back to office location. As he had moved it to audiophile location. @thm655321 has to answer what QNAP. (Mine is 453-Pro). I use mine for store music library, Roon backup, and yesterday I added Roon extensions in docker as the implementation in the SonicTransporter isn’t working for the time being. Andrew is working on a fix. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Exactly why I suggest him to reallocate his QNAP back to office location. As he had moved it to audiophile location. @thm655321 has to answer what QNAP. (Mine is 453-Pro). I use mine for store music library, Roon backup, and yesterday I added Roon extensions in docker as the implementation in the SonicTransporter isn’t working for the time being. Andrew is working on a fix. 

Thanks for the replies.  The QNAP is the TS-421.

13 hours ago, Peter Avgeris said:

Hello!

Yes, I forgot to let you know.

Along with the Buffalos I had listened to the Ubiquiti router(s) as a plain switch(es).

Nenon had written the day before. He had listened to this thing.

Buffalo switches are a totally different story. They play miles better than Ubiquitis.

It seems that Ubiquiti is the best choice for routers and Buffalo the best for switches.

Imaging was far bigger with Buffalos, low & high frequencies were shockingly real. Ubiquiti was sounding a lot more harsh against Buffalos.

I have observed that the comments of Nenon are always in line with my own findings. He has gone through the path previously than me, so he already knows.

It is a real pity that Buffalos are discontinued and not available any more.

Go and get as many as you can, although I guess that the last pieces have already been completely vanished from the market. Either 8- or 16- or 24- ports, go grab them at any price. In quad version they offer a stratospheric sound quality. Last choice could be the commercial version of Melco although at a much increased price.

This pushed me over the line and made me purchase 2 of the BS-GS2008

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

I really like my Gaia footers.  I have used them  on two different speakers with rather nice results.  For the Kii Three BXT I had to unscrew the inserts in the bases that the spikes screw into.   The change in imaging is really surprising.  

Note I did not use the carpet spikes I put down 3/4in MDF platforms to start with.  I am working on speaker placement.

BC7BCBAA-5EFE-4D66-89AE-85630DCD85A7.jpeg

At risk of being slightly OT, has anyone tried these with stand-mount speakers? 

Trying to understand if both steps are required for optimum vibration control for stand-mount speakers:

1. Isolation feet between the speaker and the top of the stand.

and

2. Isolation feet between the stand and the room floor.

Thanks

12 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Brilliant 😂 

I came very close to buying the Townsend but went with the Gaia footers instead. Big increase in the SQ and focus of the image.

+1 from me for the Gaia’s.  I thought that they would do very little for me running KEF Blades with opposed drivers.  My dealer lent me their demo set, I liked them so much I just bought them.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, Confused said:

+1 from me for the Gaia’s.  I thought that they would do very little for me running KEF Blades with opposed drivers.  My dealer lent me their demo set, I liked them so much I just bought them.

Same here, I use the Gaia’s on tile flooring. The difference is quite noticeable on my Sopra’s. Now I also have metal Isoaccoustics under my CD player and turntable. It all started with the pucks under my amplifiers 🙂

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

Correct. My QNAP 872 XT is essentially a computer with 8 spinning disks in my case  and 4 TB of SSD’s, 3 NIC’s. Nothing you want to have close to your HiFi. Mine is 20 meters away and connected through fiber. Running Roon on the QNAP. Sounds better than my NUC with AL. Dedicated VLAN for music!

Are the LED’s on your REF10 too bright for you?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.