IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

I did not think that the LPS-1.2 would run the TXUSBUltra.  I will try to start with that when mine arrives from Audiosensibility.  I am torn by power supply selection and  I am not going to rush.  

The big variable is the amount of current the DAC attached to the tX-USBultra draws. If that pushes the total draw over 1.1A, the LPS-1.2 won’t work. 

That said, most people have not reported an issue.

It would be very interesting to see if JSSG360^4 config (a 4th layer) gives even more benefit.  With my Lush^2's, I preferred the full JSSG360^3 config to the TANF config (by a smidge), but I was very impressed with both configs.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

4 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Very good to know JSSG360^3 is working out on your USB cable as well.

I also changed out my Gotham output cable to the same 16AWG solid silver wire in JSSG360^3 configuration two days ago on my MPAudio power supply that is powering my tX-USBUltra, and it is showing the same improvement as my other JSSG360^3 silver DC cables, so I am quite happy with the result.

Below is a picture showing the JSSG360^3 silver output DC cable (on the left).

20191004_161954.thumb.jpg.74b98307ba036e0ab7536a24f0e9bcd5.jpg

Elan did you modify the capacitor in that PSU yourself or was it stock? 

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Elan did you modify the capacitor in that PSU yourself or was it stock? 

John, if you were asking the capacitors on the bottom of the picture, then no, they are stock, but if you refer to the capacitor at the output side of DC cable, then sort of, I added this capacitor.

1 hour ago, ray-dude said:

It would be very interesting to see if JSSG360^4 config (a 4th layer) gives even more benefit.  With my Lush^2's, I preferred the full JSSG360^3 config to the TANF config (by a smidge), but I was very impressed with both configs.

Interesting... I will probably have enough braid left over to try a 4th on my USB cable at least... I have just finished my Ethernet cable and the improvement seems even greater than the USB cable 🧐... I certainly wasn't expecting that

Experiments with a 4th layer

As per @ray-dude suggestion I have been experimenting with a 4th layer. 

I have tried a 4th layer that formed a new jssg360 but connected to the first at one end.... This sounded too quiet and lost some of the magic after hours of listening I decided to try the fourth layer as a double TANF... This was better but there was something about it that just wasn't right... It felt like it was a bit muffled and it was having some kind of negative impact so today I have rejigged it to be 2 individual jssg360s, one underlying jssg360 unconnected to the top jssg360 and right away I knew this was a keeper all the magic of jssg360 is back and I hardly had to listen much to know that I don't want to experiment with any other configurations.

This one is a keeper and I will want to change my other cables to have this configuration... I think we should call it jssg360x2👍😉

I have only been able to listen for a short while and I have to go away for a week now but I can say that this configuration of 2 independent jssg360 over the top of each other is very very good. I have that feeling that I got when I did the original jssg360... That deathly quiet background and the music just has more space to breath and the dynamics increase and the individual sounds get further apart... This is significantly better than just one jssg360. I won't be able to listen again for a week but when I get back I will definitely be doing more cables with this configuration 👍😁...

On 10/4/2019 at 1:02 PM, austinpop said:

Word of advice to owners of HMS and TT2: don't make the mistake of auditioning a DAVE with the HMS. Here again, I was actually unprepared for the magnitude of the improvement. I was expecting something fairly subtle, but what I heard was gobsmacking.

Rob already stated that DAVE 2 wouldn't appear in the foreseeable future since he's still working on his DX amp(s) as well as DAVINA, does it make sense to bump the Pulse Array design from 10 to 20 elements first and then get a pair of nice BNC cables later?

BTW, it's interesting to read something from an owner of $105,000 / pair amps + £130,000 / pair speakers since the source turned out to be Dell XPS 13

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-567#post-15228654

To hear the Dave and Blu2 at their best, power and RFI have to be taken into account. Separating the Dave and Blu2 physically, and especially their mains supplies has been a huge improvement. The Opto-DX has allowed this. The Opto-DX has also eliminated the need for a dedicated audiophile streamer.

Though adding OPTO•DX would also require an extra pair of BNC cables while Dan's getting to ready launch RF•STOP by the end of this month

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/rf-block

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1552/8145/files/WhitePaper_RF-STOP.pdf

On 10/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, elan120 said:

Very good to know JSSG360^3 is working out on your USB cable as well.

I also changed out my Gotham output cable to the same 16AWG solid silver wire in JSSG360^3 configuration two days ago on my MPAudio power supply that is powering my tX-USBUltra, and it is showing the same improvement as my other JSSG360^3 silver DC cables, so I am quite happy with the result.

Below is a picture showing the JSSG360^3 silver output DC cable (on the left).

20191004_161954.thumb.jpg.74b98307ba036e0ab7536a24f0e9bcd5.jpg

Where do u get your silver wire ? Is it OCC ? Sorry to-ask again if u had mentioned already. Is it star quad or twisted or single wire ? 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/599/?tab=comments#comment-991944

The base of this cable is a double shielded Neotech 16AWG solid core silver cable purchased from Audio Sensibility in a twisted pair configuration.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/599/?tab=comments#comment-992025

Cable was purchased in bulk without termination, and the existing shields were used to setup JSSG360 configurations.

12AWG is here since gauge is everything

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/accessories/parts/wire-and-cable/#!/Neotech-12AWG-OCC-Silver-Teflon-Insulated-Solid-Core-per-foot/p/132810030/

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/279/?tab=comments#comment-792104

I have been building some DC cables for my personal use and I have tried many many conductors with various gauges including copper, silver, and silver plated copper, stranded and solid core.

I found that the most important aspect to SQ is gauge, go for the largest gauge you can regardless whether it is solid core or stranded. As for copper vs. silver you really need to try in your system to find the tonality that matches best with your system.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30634-the-true-experimental-tweak-thread/page/150/?tab=comments#comment-766090

I found that the LT3045 adds a bit of clarity when used with LPS-1 to power my switch. The improvement is subtle, in contrast going to a silver thicker gauge on the DC wire is by far more effective.

Though the thickness of 12AWG wires would end up with something like this

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/page/47/?tab=comments#comment-972490

You can use heat shrink and leave the barrels off. I did that with some very short pieces of solid 12g Neotech hook up wire, separated by air. Don't look like much but sound great. Don't forget to use a small piece of shrink over the live solder joint and any exposed live wire so if any bending it won't short the neutral. Then a big piece that snugs the screw part of the plug with the cable.

Question for @Nenon who's a fan of Mundorf, what if we kinda "replace" those barrels of DC connectors by wrapping some Mundorf foils around each plug?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/mundorf-silver-gold-foil.html

On 10/5/2019 at 4:15 AM, Bricki said:

I have now completed a 3rd layer on my Supra cat8 Ethernet cable used on the bridged connection from my server to NUC endpoint.IMG_20191005_091137.thumb.jpg.a1a488f02a0d1f1d2abf3d7571772940.jpg

I did the same TANF configuration and connected just one end to the underlying jssg 360 layers.IMG_20191005_092239.thumb.jpg.a0a7ea36286ffe11346674882993539e.jpg

The end with the longer section of heat shrink denotes the end that connects to the jssg 360 shielding.

After listening for a couple of hours this seems to have even more impact than the USB cable... maybe it's the fact that this cable has to pass over my furutech TCS31 ac cable that goes to my sps500 or maybe it's the fact that it's 1meter long as opposed to the USB cable that is only 280mm... Whatever the reason I think it has more impact in my system.

The impact is very similar to the USB cable. The background is blacker again and the music even richer... The depth has increased further still as well as focus. Vocals again seem to be more dimensional and everything pops more.

The music has a lot more emotion and feeling to it. Small nuances are more evident and bring more character... just listened to son of neck bone by the beastie boys and the impact of the drums and the timbre of the cow bell is just making it so real 😁👍... I wonder what I'll sheild next 🙄

Interesting, is there a guide on how to do this?

6 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

12AWG is here since gauge is everything

I would not necessarily agree with that. The thicker wire acts like a big anthena. I personally would not use anything thicker than 15-16AWG in my LPS. 

6 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Question for @Nenon who's a fan of Mundorf, what if we kinda "replace" those barrels of DC connectors by wrapping some Mundorf foils around each plug?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/mundorf-silver-gold-foil.html

I am not necessarily a fan of Mundorf. I like some of their power capacitors (i.e. MLytic and MTubeCap) in certain applications, and I like their silver/gold SGW115 wire for my digital source LPS with JSSG360. Not a big fan of their film caps and other products. I use different wire for everything else. 

Foils are interesting. I did consider trying a foil in my LPS at some point, but it's more difficult to work with, especially when you have to do a 20-PIN ATX connector. I did not think it was practical at all. My only experience with silver foil cables was a Verastarr Grand Illusion Signature power cord that I still have. They do something interesting, but it was not impressive enough to convince me foils was the way to go. 

But after re-reading your question again, I am not sure what you actually have in mind. Do you just want to make your own custom DC plug? Or you want to replace the wire? Either way, it's not something I have tried and would not be able to give any recommendations. 

It's hard to beat short wire and good connectors (Jaeger in my case). I don't have a recent pic with my 8-wire EPS connector (only 2 wires shown), JSSG360 shielding, and cotton sleeve, but you would get the idea from this pic taken during my experiments with different wires. 

IMG_1764.thumb.jpg.64b02a1cb6889b9c4310bed8d8990a83.jpg

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Hi, I am looking for advice/recommendations/thoughts with regards to new build I am planning. After the TLS issues I want to make sure I get this right this time..... Here are my initial thoughts...

• One box server
  • Existing HDplex H5 case or other recommendations?, higher TDP?
  • Mother board - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme MB, 16 Phases IR digital VRM (My understanding is lower noise output)
  • CPU - Intel i9900k (run at 3.6gz base clock) (95 TDP)
  • Existing JCAT Ethernet Card
  • Existing data WD SSD drive
  • RAM - 8GB - Apacer 2666 (What model? no idea yet?)
  • OXCO Clocks - Modified Motherboard clocks for USB+Chipset by Fidelityaudio UK
  • LPS - Custom Sean Jacobs 7 Rails in total for everything+Ghent PSU cables
  • I'll be running Audiolinux or Euphony
  • I'll be using Roon and HQplayer
  • USB output to Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker
  • I might add GPU at later date to help HQplayer CUDA offload (if required)

The above if more of less an Innuos statement, but would be more powerful, and 4k cheaper. 

Thanks in advance

57 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, I am looking for advice/recommendations/thoughts with regards to new build I am planning. After the TLS issues I want to make sure I get this right this time..... Here are my initial thoughts...

• One box server
  • Existing HDplex H5 case or other recommendations?, higher TDP?
  • Mother board - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme MB, 16 Phases IR digital VRM (My understanding is lower noise output)
  • CPU - Intel i9900k (run at 3.6gz base clock) (95 TDP)
  • Existing JCAT Ethernet Card
  • Existing data WD SSD drive
  • RAM - 8GB - Apacer 2666 (What model? no idea yet?)
  • OXCO Clocks - Modified Motherboard clocks for USB+Chipset by Fidelityaudio UK
  • LPS - Custom Sean Jacobs 7 Rails in total for everything+Ghent PSU cables
  • I'll be running Audiolinux or Euphony
  • I'll be using Roon and HQplayer
  • USB output to Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker
  • I might add GPU at later date to help HQplayer CUDA offload (if required)

The above if more of less an Innuos statement, but would be more powerful, and 4k cheaper. 

Thanks in advance

Innuos Statement already includes the USB reclocker so that would be a saving if you purchased the Statement (see earlier video posted on this thread).  If you're spending this much then I would definately read the Taiko Audio thread:  https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/

SGM Extreme uses a server grade motherboard with two CPU's  - server and renderer (WS C621E Sage with 2X Silver 4114).  Also PCIe SSD Hard Drive is largely preferrable to SATA as PCIe bus is directly connected via a dedicated lane to the CPU - no other bottlenecks or services. 16Phase VRM might not matter that much if you have a very good power supply.

If I had the money then that's what I'd do. Or If I has less then this is a bit of a bargain: https://www.mojo-audio.com/used-high-performance-music-server/