IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I'm unaware of anyone who has heard a Farad Super12, much less compared one to an SR7.  What is basis for your comment?  Thanks.

BTW, how would you rank Poweradd Pilot Pro2 + DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper when compared to the rest of your PSUs? This particular comment below looked quite interesting to me

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-547#post-15181782

I found PP2 on NUC and SR4 on HMS to be slightly better than SR4 on NUC and PP2 on HMS, which is very interesting in its own right (I was very surprised the SQ was close as it was)

Thank you.

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

BTW, how would you rank Poweradd Pilot Pro2 + DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper when compared to the rest of your PSUs? This particular comment below looked quite interesting to me

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-547#post-15181782

Thank you.

Would be an interesting experiment, perhaps some of the delta can be explained by the fact that the PSU to the endpoint makes the most difference?

5 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Would be an interesting experiment, perhaps some of the delta can be explained by the fact that the PSU to the endpoint makes the most difference?

It seems to me that the SR4 + PP2 are attacking the same fundamental root cause of the SQ differences.  With the SR4 in the chain, the order is a LOT less impactful than I thought it would be.  If SR4 is doing the heavy lifting (and PP2 + SR4 for the NUC and Hugo mScaler is a big step up in SQ for me, vs PP2 on both NUC and HMS), the it is the job of the PP2 to do no harm to whatever the SR4 cleaned up.

Lots more to be learned here, but folks with a better selection of LPS's to experiment with will have a lot easier time sussing out what is going on (alas, while I wait for my SR7, I only have an SR4 and a couple LPS 1.2's to play with, so I'm limited in the configurations I can test with my NUC and HMS)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

11 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I’m not set up to make such a comparison.  Since all of my PSUs are either 19v or 12v, I have no equivalent to the 16v PP2 for use on my HMS, which requires a 15v or 16v power supply for optimal sound quality.  I know from past experience that a certain coveted DR 12v rail had minimal benefit relative to the stock 15v SMPS, while the 16v PP2 + 16AWG Neotech UPOCC 7N copper DC cable makes a more obvious improvement.  While some might question my finding that the 12v DR rail has a negligible effect on the HMS, I do not believe their HMS as well as both digital interconnects are grounded directly to an active ground block as are mine.  In my experience, this type of grounding lowers the noise floor, which in this particular use case is possibly negating most of the benefits of the “quiet” DR rail running at less-than-optimal voltage.

Their specs claimed that PP2 should be good for 4.5A and that might be a better choice if a high current draw were needed?

They also have this PowerCenter II for $212.49 and its 12V output could have the potential to feed a powerful CPU

https://www.ipoweradd.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=10&Id=418

https://www.amazon.com/POWERADD-PowerCenter-II-Hand-held-Smartphone/dp/B078RZNJR9

Outputs: 4x USB 5 V - 2.1 A (Max); 2x DC 9 - 12.6 V / 15 A (Max); 1x AC 300 W (Max)

Or even use its AC output to power another PSU? Though the quality might not be as good when compared to their tried and true PP2.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:39 AM, Gavin1977 said:

Farad Super12 should be a really welcome addition at 999 euro ex VAT and is something I'm watching since it's performance is reported to be close to that of an SR7.  

Since the Farad Super 12 is not yet shipping, we don't know what it sounds like.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:04 PM, Gavin1977 said:

This was the Super 3, not the Super 12. And while I praised its SQ, I didn't say it was equal to an SR-7.

However, with all that said, we're all looking forward to the next round of Farad products, from the Super 12 to the DC-ATX adapter. Assuming the SQ matches what we've come to expect with the Super 3, these should be very compelling products.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I've tried this battery in 3 distinct use cases, powering devices that need high, medium, or low current, and the only difference is how much of a gap there is between the PP2 and the better supplies.

1. High current - Hugo TT2:                   SR7-15 > Farad 3-15 > SR4-15 > PP2-12 (since the TT2 will not accept 16V), but each step is a relatively small difference

So Paul confirmed the SR4 was up to the task of powering the TT2.  Can I take from anything he reported back to you that my 5V-12V SR4 would also be up to the task?  I expect my 15V Farad Super3 with silver cable would beat it powering the TT2 but would still be good to know just how far I could push the SR4.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

17 hours ago, austinpop said:

As it says on the sticky on top, this thread is ideal for people who like to tweak. A corollary of that is one can achieve very high quality upstream chains for a fraction of the cost of the big boys - SGM Extreme, Pink Faun, etc.

If cost is no object, and your budget allows, AND if tweaking is not your thing, then yeah - I'm sure the SGM Extreme is going to be an excellent choice. I suspect it is ahead of our best efforts so far, given the fanatic level of experimentation and optimization Emile does for the product. Of course, that also makes it extremely expensive.

You are one of the most experienced audiophile I know on this planet.

Also Emile respects your knolage and experience in computer audio.

I know how fun it is to keep improving SQ. Did it for many years.

It is endless pleasure but I got just to tired and spent to much on different twicks.

I hope you have as much fun as I had but you will be smarter on spending less than I did.

12 hours ago, tims said:

Did you make this silver cable yourself (by twisting single silver conductors into a star-quad configuration) or buy a silver star quad cable off the shelf?

The base of this cable is a double shielded Neotech 16AWG solid core silver cable purchased from Audio Sensibility in a twisted pair configuration.  I first setup the cable in JSSG360 configuration with the double shield, and then added the third layer to make it JSSG360^3.

7 hours ago, elan120 said:

The base of this cable is a double shielded Neotech 16AWG solid core silver cable purchased from Audio Sensibility in a twisted pair configuration.  I first setup the cable in JSSG360 configuration with the double shield, and then added the third layer to make it JSSG360^3.

Did you purchase the cable as bulk or pre terminated? I assume you altered the existing sheilds to JSSG360 configuration before adding your 3rd layer?

45 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I concur the findings.  Installed the RAMs two days ago, and like these Apacer memories quite a bit.

Here is a picture with Apacer DDR4 SDRAM in action:

20190924_130728.thumb.jpg.f82e04557e40957c1d4faa3c51c8808e.jpg

How would you or @auricgoldfinger rank the apacer tweak, on core isolation level, on ramroot level or clock upgrade level? 

Have you tried one simm, I think I like it. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

How would you or @auricgoldfinger rank the apacer tweak, on core isolation level, on ramroot level or clock upgrade level? 

Have you tried one simm, I think I like it. 

That's an interesting way of framing the question.  For now, I'll defer to @elan120 for his perspective since he has done more tweaking with AL and his NUC than I.

I haven't tried one SIMM yet, but it's on my to do list.