IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

2 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I’m pretty sure that he’s claimed that his years of experience in networking has informed his view that there’s no benefit an audiophile switch can do over any regular switch (my paraphrase - I can dig up quotes if needed).  He’s staked his reputation on this claim.  

And no one has shown otherwise in a credible way.  Customers being satisfied with a product that does something as ephemeral as the Ethergen aren't credible.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Indeed I have. Do you know anyone that will sit and listen to some music without know what switch is in play?

I would do it - providing that I could somehow switch off my innate instinct to feel pressure/stress when test results matter.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

42 minutes ago, plissken said:

Because Ethernet RJE is heavily isolated it's all transformer coupled at both ends. Also the Ethernet clock is based at 25Mhz. WAAAAY outside of human hearing.  And if I'm doing optics there's no leakage currents. 

I've yet to see 60hz mains noise on properly implemented networks. 

There is one situation that can cause problems and that is with shielded cabling tied to switch. You can get ground loop hum. UTP is recommended. 

You mentioned seeing problems at level 1 only in one particular situation.  Have any of the devices connected to your networks been extra sensitive to noise?  Or has it just been the typical networking gear you’d find in a typical office or data center?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

35 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

These days it is hard to find any area in which there is a true consensus, never mind universal agreement. Instead, we have vehement disagreement about almost everything, with the very uncertainty that led us to a tribal view emotionally leading us to defend that view with even more force than if it were one we safely had in hand. 

Which makes this particular thread in a small way so significant...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, plissken said:

Jud, your acting like this is going to end up somewhere in courthouse. So based on your conjecture I can't be sure you really know anything or not. 

One justice is expensive. Two it's not worth going to court over. Three what the heck is a manufacturer going to provide as proof of the efficacy of their products in this niche? And if they have it, it would already be incorporated into their marketing and spec pages.  

Where's my downside? If answering this question constitutes free legal advice I understand you not wanting to give the $$ away 🙂

Except of course I'm not talking about court. That's where tools to determine whether people know what they're talking about or not have been finely developed over centuries, but those tools are just a natural outgrowth of what we use every day.

What I'm saying in simple terms is that your willingness to make confident statements about all kinds of topics makes it difficult for me to determine whether you really are knowledgeable about many of them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41 minutes ago, Jud said:

Which is fine, and I've said as much in the EtherREGEN thread.

I'm happy with mine. Why should I need anyone else or even myself to believe I'm right in order to be happy? And why should anyone else have a need to prove I should not be?

Ha! So it's all about you then? ;) How about what I need to be happy? I need audio manufacturers to really try to improve the SOTA, to innovate in the space that actually makes a real and not imagined difference. Instead, I keep running into new products around better cables, de-crapifiers to de-crapify something that doesn't have any crap, and designer fuses with beeswax. I fondly remember the days when manufacturers really tried to build a better mouse trap. But hey, I guess I'm just an angry and bitter person, like Kennyb said :)Make Audio Great Again!!! :ph34r: Ooops! No political agenda intended, sorry...