IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

Ethernet cabling and Switches are strictly data products. They don't care a wit for what's in the packet. They're just their to reliably transport frames/packets to the best of their ability. 

They simply aren't audio products. 

Except they do care what’s in the packet. Not in a clocking audio sense, but in many other cases. Try getting a DHCP ACK without looking at a packet. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, esldude said:

I miss those days.

This whole thing reminds me of Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man on SNL.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with your area of expertise. The article is about the way people respond and reasons for such heated responses to meaningless personal opinions. 

Your responses are way out of proportion in my opinion. I can’t figure out why you are so into this battle with people who are having a good time on their own. Why must you piss in their punch bowl?

I like to understand those who I communicate with because it helps me learn and see other sides to issues. When I read your posts I keep thinking about that meme about “someone is wrong on the Internet. I can’t go to bed.” That’s the best case. The other possibilities are what I’ve mentioned, fear, jealousy, hatred, or something else. 

Nobody spends this much time and dedicates this much emotional capital for no reason. 

We seem to be spending the same amount of time on this topic however.

What emotional capital? 

What fear?

What jealousy?

What hatred? Manufacturers make claims that it's within my ability to logically rebut. 

Again. This niche is simply something that is my day to day bread and butter. So the expenditure is nominal from my POV. I'm just as happy helping you parse a log file, answer questions about networking, shoot some tutorials, or offer rebuttal to outlandish manufacturer claims. It's all the same basket from where I'm standing. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve never seen it but somehow think I know how it goes 😄

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/cast/dana-carvey-14886/character/grumpy-old-man-73276

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

27 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Except they do care what’s in the packet. Not in a clocking audio sense, but in many other cases. Try getting a DHCP ACK without looking at a packet. 

I'm pretty sure you can't hear a DORA handshake. 

Also I need to point out:

Switches indeed do not care about what's in the packet. They are L2 frame.

A client sits on a switch port in a Vlan (broadcast domain). A DHCP server can sit on that same vlan and when the switch sees it's IP address it will build out it's layer 2 table with a MAC to IP mapping. 

The client sends out a broadcast (all F's). Address 224.0.0.12 which is the DHCP multicast address that listens for all F's. At this point DORA happens and if all goes well the client gets an IP address. 

The switch was only concerned with the ARP. The session setup after this is solely between the client and the server. They are concerned with whats in the packet.

So if you have a L2 only switch you will have to trunk into a either straight up router or a switch that has L3 services that can provide DHCP relay. 

When you do ip helper-address and list ip addresses, on a l2/l3 switch you are simply using the routing stack to do a directed broadcast. The L3 switch uses it's routed layer and just like any other ip address routes it to the corresponding server. 

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@plissken I should add that I highly respect your knowledge and willingness to help me on matters with which you’re well versed to say the least. 

And I'm here to tell you that I'm equally well versed on Computer Audio Systems having implemented AVB and AES67. We are talking 150 end points, a layer 2 diameter of 4 in some cases and round trip under 2ms. 

1 minute ago, plissken said:

And I'm here to tell you that I'm equally well versed on Computer Audio Systems having implemented AVB and AES67. We are talking 150 end points, a layer 2 diameter of 4 in some cases and round trip under 2ms. 

That would make a really cool article. I know I’d love to read it. 

But, the issue addressed in the OP’s article wasn’t about expertise. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Never mind the formatting was messed up on this one. 

14 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

28 minutes ago, plissken said:

Wouldn’t noise be something passing along via layer 1?  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 minute ago, kennyb123 said:

Wouldn’t noise be something passing along via layer 1?  

Because Ethernet RJE is heavily isolated it's all transformer coupled at both ends. Also the Ethernet clock is based at 25Mhz. WAAAAY outside of human hearing.  And if I'm doing optics there's no leakage currents. 

I've yet to see 60hz mains noise on properly implemented networks. 

There is one situation that can cause problems and that is with shielded cabling tied to switch. You can get ground loop hum. UTP is recommended. 

BTW my posts in this thread are typical of my posting style. People are often frustrated with the questions that I ask. Look at how some manufactures either squirm, ad hom attack, or on some forums disappear for 18 months after mistakenly saying something they couldn't take back. 

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

No, not related to plissken's credibility.

I’m pretty sure that he’s claimed that his years of experience in networking has informed his view that there’s no benefit an audiophile switch can do over any regular switch (my paraphrase - I can dig up quotes if needed).  He’s staked his reputation on this claim.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Windows and Linux sound different.  I think that's accepted by anyone who has experimented with both.  Tuning either OS can change the sound quality significantly.  None of this stuff has been measured AFAIK.