joelha

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There's the doubling down we expected.

More than just double - All in!  Your stuck in a rut (which might very well be where you want yourself and this site to be on this subject).   If you want serious thought and discussion on this subject, then a little work/self reflection on your and everyone else's part is probably the only way forward. 

Beyond that, it's finger wagging all day long just as it was yesterday and just as it will be tomorrow.  

@joelhasuggestion that we accept radical subjectivism as the neutral and civil ground of not only audio, but science, metaphysics and religion too, is just more of the same and not a way forward...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

More than just double - All in!  Your stuck in a rut (which might very well be where you want yourself and this site to be on this subject).   If you want serious thought and discussion on this subject, then a little work/self reflection on your and everyone else's part is probably the only way forward. 

Beyond that, it's finger wagging all day long just as it was yesterday and just as it will be tomorrow.  

@joelhasuggestion that we accept radical subjectivism as the neutral and civil ground of not only audio, but science, metaphysics and religion too, is just more of the same and not a way forward...

With all due respect, please share some of what's in your glass. 😉

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

1 minute ago, crenca said:

That's an impressive misread of my article, crenca.

I'm asking for "radical" civility and I offer a theory as to why we don't get it.

Joel

2 minutes ago, joelha said:

I'm asking for "radical" civility and I offer a theory as to why we don't get it.

Joel

Your asking for objectivists to agree that the subjectivism is "true" (in audio, and to infinity - and beyond!).  Your saying that subjectivism is the arbitrator of disputes between itself and objectivism.  You pit personalities and reputations against the truth, and then you have personality smoother the truth for the mere material $good$ of these same personalities and your version of civility.  

It's like you don't understand objectivists at all.  If you want to understand why there is conflict and passion between them and subjectivism then your going to have to put a little effort to understand what makes them tick.

Here is a question you could start with:

Why would a moral objectivist privilege the truth over any particular personality and their livelihood?

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

For astronomy forums, that's a big NO. In fact, it's gotten much better since the end of the century. But then, I run a number of them, so I guess it's all due to my amazing moderator skills ;) The reality is I don't need to moderate any of my forums, I may jump in a few times a year to get a discussion back on track, but that's about it. 

Sounds great I think I'll head over there. Why is it so different on astronomy forums? less room for 'subjectivity'.. ?

ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power strip > EtherRegen switch powered with Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v LPS > Antipodes DXe roon core> PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac 'Windom'> Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors. PH SR4 power supplies. In addition my reference SQ is a modified SD card Player powered by Ian Canada LifePo4/Ultracaps mod outputting 2x 3.3v > I2S module > PS Audio DAC.

4 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Sounds great I think I'll head over there. Why is it so different on astronomy forums? less room for 'subjectivity'.. ?

less room for being right about anything (no matter who you are) ... it's a big old universe out there ...

Disclaimer! I have not in the past, I do not now, and I am not likely ever to stream music from the internet.

System: here

BBBUUUTTTTTT....

If in audio you want to move beyond good and evil, subjectivist vs. objectivist, and the tit for tat moralizing that both will bring because neither can agree with the other, then you will have to find the "transcendent third option" - the vantage point from which you can see the forest through the trees...