IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

1 hour ago, HiFiHeard said:

"I like this, and it's OK if you don't like it."

I think that is a different issue.  Preferences are fine, tho worthy of discussion.  e.g. I can discuss or explain why I like some tube sound (but not too much); same for why I like the visual esthetic of Accuphase gear (panel layout and color combo), or the ergonomics of older Audio Research gear (the knobs & switches) - BTW I own The latter but not the former brand.

Likewise I can explain why I prefer certain tradeoffs over others (e.g. why I switched from Vandersteen to Magneplanar - it took 3-4 months of intensive listening every night...)

But what one likes with respect to SQ is not what is involved when someone is responding to to factors that do not affect SQ.  And that is why people od actual listening tests - to rule out extraneous factors.

Now, if someone likes the look of component A enough to accept a lower SQ than for the 'uglier' component B, that is different.  And I'm fine with that choice, but they can expect some contradictory posts if they make a claim that simply cannot be true, or is highly, highly unlikely.

22 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Now, if someone likes the look of component A enough to accept a lower SQ than for the 'uglier' component B, that is different.  And I'm fine with that choice, but they can expect some contradictory posts if they make a claim that simply cannot be true, or is highly, highly unlikely.

Mostly my push back involves unsupported manufacturer claims.

44 minutes ago, emcdade said:

"The iPhone dongle from Apple measures exceptionally well as a DAC. So yeah, "doesn't sound terrible and just works" for sure. But I'd also add, "will sound the same as high priced, well-engineered DACs."

So this is something that could easily be blind tested for. Then the follow on question:

If it's inexpensive and simply measures well under various aspects that represent a well-engineered DAC then it is what it is.

The measurements I've seen paint the Apple Dongle as a competent traveling HP DAC but it's not top tier.  I wouldn't go get an AQ USB HP dongle over the Apple given the measurements. 

So I wouldn't go as far as that poster. 

2 minutes ago, emcdade said:

I understand the sentiment.

Wouldn't it be more rewarding to be a crusader for the consumer if it were directed at something that actually affected people's lives?  For example predatory lending, credit cards, etc.?

Plenty of advocates for those things. I like to advocate in areas that I have expertise in. As a network engineer that happens to be frame/packet/segment and understanding how buffered systems work.

If I were a banker or economist then my efforts would indeed be better spent on predatory lending etc...

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If that's what you believe then you're a larger problem than purely objectivists. For the most part they don't care about personal preference. You seem to have a problem with someone saying it "sounds good" when it measures bad. Who cares if something sounds good to someone. 

Some people like the 2nd harmonic skirt that some devices, by nature of their topology, produce. Tube pre's and Amps come to mind. I've never had an issue with that. Obviously that's going to change some outputs on the speaker/HP side. 

If I have 8 or 9 measurements and I have a $10,000 and a $500 piece of gear and they are neck and neck with good results. Well all that means is someone figured out how to do it for $500. 

Just now, kennyb123 said:

There are plenty of opposing view expressed amongst the subjectivist side.  In fact, we welcome such views.  For example, some might argue a particular component sounds better with power supply A while another prefers power supply B - or one might prefer running AudioLinux while another prefers Euphony.  There's a recognition amongst this group that we each hear things differently and we each have different listening preferences.  There's no anger or bitterness.  These folks are just having fun...

... at least until the schoolyard bullies show up to try to spoil the fun by mocking us and demeaning us and repeated telling us that we can't be hearing what we're hearing - or that we are just pissing our money away. 

There's a civility gap - and until that can be acknowledged by the side behaving in uncivil manner, things will never get better.

Until you recognize to what degree this gap exists for both sides, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.