IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

"I know of audiophiles who are objective and religious (perhaps even yours truly 😉)."

I agree and never suggested otherwise.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Impossible to not think about science/engineering whenever a product reads and converts digital to analogue for example. Likewise, all the scientific principles that have to go into properly reproducing vinyl (eg. tonearm geometries, capacitance, quality of RIAA EQ in the preamp...).

I agree here as well and, again, I never suggested otherwise. As Chris asks in a later post, the issue isn't whether science should be applied, it's how emotional people become about advocating for the scientific assessment of a product and how personal they can be about the opinions of others that are only subjective.

For those who become inappropriate, I believe an anti-religious bias is at play for reasons I've already mentioned in my OP.

My article was not written to address those who are respectful as they invoke science to make their arguments.

Joel

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Archimago - I love your closing line - good to find balance. 

How do you rationalize the fact that people get so heated about another's opinion. It can go both ways, objective <> subjective, but for now let's focus on the objective attacks toward subjective opinions. It just seems like something else is at play when people fall all over themselves to make points that often aren't invited.

Hi Chris,

Yeah. I think there's a bit we can say about this. It's complicated isn't it when things get emotional and "attacks" happen, that's the issue. Sounds like a good blog discussion topic at some point 😁.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Dear Joel,
Audio and Religion, can you compare the antagonism of Religious and Agnostic (science?) with Subjectivists and Objectivists?

I think not, here is why:

I feel that the discussion about Religion has far more dimensions in its fabric than science does know as of today.
It has a dark history of power, mobster mentality, betrayal, domination, influence, revenge, racism and genocide, just to name a view and a pleasant reality of forgiveness, self-empowerment, solidarity, love, determination, education and hope on the other side of the balance. Nearly everyone has been touched by presence or absence of Religion in one way or another, and it may have been different for any two person in a room.
The reality is, the administrators of Religion are still in the game for power, influence and money, and the name of God is used in so many different languages and Religions to punish the agnostics or the ones to be dominated/repressed due to ethnicity, skin color, gender or sexual orientation, that it (imho) cannot be held as antithesis of science or be compared with dualism of objective/subjective. Belief, maybe, Religion not.
I respect everyone who has profited personally from his/her beliefs to any kind of Religion, as long as they accept that Religion with its peculiarity in society is a monster in need to be tamed (for most), as the benefits have never been globally or socially evenly distributed, but offered gains only for individuals or for some hierarchical structured organizations like churches. And that his/her experience are personal and may be different for me and others. That is what I call tolerance.
I am personally convinced (I believe) that science relies on some fundamental principles that are valid for (almost) everyone. And as a person, I may have the right to subjectively dislike that or feel different, which just doesn't make me immune to the existence of gravity when I am standing on a mountain top ...

Where I totally agree with you Joel, is that even I know that I am correct in a "scientific" way, I need to acknowledge that my opponent does not criticize me personally because he has a different way of regarding/hearing the things (under which bias ever). This works in the other direction as well. So far for the communication I'd wish for in our forums.
In recent times we undoubtedly are in need to grow more skin to resist the impact of often unfounded critic that targets us only for just having found a target.

I see as well that we are acting members of a changing industry, where investment interest often play an important role, which to a certain extent impacts the behavior of company representatives and their strategic decisions concerning their products. May it be half baked products, fake marketing promises and quality issues packed in nice promises about an update that never arrives.

With the distribution channels changing from the decried old and personal HiFi shop experience, places we visited to talk with other enthusiasts and experts, towards online marketplaces and big electronic stores with just the same range of goods in every other city, be it Pacific or Atlantic division, the marketing activities have changed their character and faces.

Imagine you have received a bad product and the company behind starts playing the game improperly, decries unfair treatment, bad testing scenarios or let you feel its industry related power if you want to publish a less than mediocre experience about one of their products, then you know that this is a hobby, where lots of people hold different kind of stakes in. And a serious business. We usually say then, we pay with our customer satisfaction and vote with our wallets, though it might cost us a bit more than we wish for - especially in the high end sector.
Even this picture is not really a desirable development, it is far away from the mobster mentality of the Religion business.

Stay tuned, Tom

8 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Hmmm, hang on @joelha, I'm just not sure who you're talking about when you said this:

"Allowing audiophiles to post their subjective conclusions without proof brings them one step closer to accepting those who relate their religious experiences without proof. For them, science is god and a subjective conclusion upends their god and belief system. They fight hard so that doesn’t happen."

Who are the "they" in this excerpt? Who are these "religious objective" people who worship this scientific "god"?

Archimago,

You're taking one part of my article out of context. But I'm glad you asked the question.

The "they" are not only objectivists but the inappropriate objectivists.

"Emotional force" is fine. Attacking others personally isn't.

That's the "they" I'm talking about.

Joel

2 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Inappropriate comments are  the cost of weaning people from authority figures in audio. It will die down as authority figures are seen for they truly are salesman. The same pattern occurred in golf and things have calmed down. 

The market doesn't have to shrink.

By your own statement, that's not happening in our industry, Rt66indierock.

If you say there was a lot of anger since the 70's, the anger proposition doesn't seem to be working or is working way too slowly.

I'd rather have some of the bad players out there in the industry and a friendlier overall environment.

If you want to disagree, you can have the last word as I've made my point.

Joel

40 minutes ago, HiFiHeard said:

Such an interesting discussion and I couldn't help but sign up just to join this community and partake in the banter.

1. Just like any other passionate hobby, you have tribalism (Mustang vs Camaro, 911 vs Corvette, digital vs vinyl) where we conflate our self identity with the things we consume. This I think is completely normal because it is one of the defining characteristics that drive human survival (seeking like minded individuals to form stronger teams). 

2. The key to avoiding toxicity is respecting the others' tribal choice (exotic cables vs amazon specials), but the problem arises when we have evangelism: where an individual or group seeks to establish absolute positions like "I'm right, you're wrong", in lieu of "I like this, and it's OK if you don't like it."

4. Or worse, we are unable to separate unimportant hobbies (home audio) with the truly important tribalism issues that affect our society (vaxxers vs anti-vaxxers). And so toxicity ensues because certain posters elevate the importance of the discussion from "let's agree to disagree" to "my sanity requires that I change your mind."

Well stated HFH. Your 4th point is the best. Thanks for joining the community.

22 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Give me ten British  Audiophile Companies.

Even if I couldn't give you one, you haven't established the causal relationship between snake oil and a declining HiFi industry. You're taking the current facts, and imposing your unsupported reasoning on how we got here. 

21 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Hmmm, hang on @joelha, I'm just not sure who you're talking about when you said this:

"Allowing audiophiles to post their subjective conclusions without proof brings them one step closer to accepting those who relate their religious experiences without proof. For them, science is god and a subjective conclusion upends their god and belief system. They fight hard so that doesn’t happen."

Who are the "they" in this excerpt? Who are these "religious objective" people who worship this scientific "god"?

Rather than looking at objective-leaning audiophiles as religious themselves or anti-religious as to desecrate the subjectivists' god, what about simply the idea that objective people get emotional and could fight hard at times because they have concerns about lies as it pertains to things that were engineered by humans using scientific principles? Since we're not naive to how the world works, one has to admit that advertising departments exist to create emotional impressions and sales people lie simply because there is/might be a financial motive.

To me, much of the emotional force coming from the objective camp is more about recognition of money and psychological factors rather than any religious/spiritual dimension...

Very interesting Archimago. Honest questions:

Is there a larger "problem" if the objective people don't fight hard? In other words, what happens if they let a conversation go with people believing what they want? Will science eventually be relegated to second class? Or something completely different?

I believe fear is a strong motivator for both the sub and obj groups. Objectives > Fear of attacks on science (end result unknown to me) and Subjectives > fear of losing a hobby or source of enjoyment. I don't believe either is rational, but that's just me.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png