IGNORED

usb cables?

23 minutes ago, marce said:

Digital carries the analogue signal as packets of information in binary format, noise can be superimposed on the signal but does not become part  of the analogue information and within easily achived tolerances the noise will not alter the transmitted information.

Too bad that 8KHz packet noise is right in the audio band. So via the backdoor it *does* become part of the "analogue information". If anything is easily measurable it is that.

And this is just one aspect (but IMO the easiest to see and understand).

Then even this one is already complex because it is about what the digital information including noise IMPLIES. And that "at the other end" (behind or even within the USB receiver).

As long as these aspects are not understood, all USB cables will sound the same. Especially if you don't attempt listening to a couple.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

15 minutes ago, JanRSmit said:

How do i as enduser know the always present noise is not interfering? 

Oh, but you do know. I just tell you. Hahaha.

The key is in the "always present" because although it is, it is always different (incurred for by environmental settings and even explicit settings (like in-software)). And btw, although a lot is USB specific, an other lot is not related to USB at all.

The skill about controlling it and slowly we get further and further with that. According to some, however, nothing happens. :/

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

18 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Too bad that 8KHz packet noise is right in the audio band. So via the backdoor it *does* become part of the "analogue information". If anything is easily measurable it is that.

The packet noise is created by the USB receiver. Nothing to do with cables.

4 hours ago, musicguy said:

@One and a half  A lot of what you here, is what i have experienced with my own usb cables.  The pangea ag,  sounded very slightly bloated but no sound stage and the treble was very reduced.  No air to the sound.  AQ forest just a bit smoother over a standard well made cable.  WW starlight 7.  Very good cable but lack bass.  AQ cinnamon was the best overall sounding cable i have.   Most balanced.   

I have been reading many post,  Sorry I open this can of whoop ass on myself,  AQ coffee, Cardas clear,  Blackcat cables,  Lush, Curios and nordost.     There are so many usb cables now.   Thats why i started this post.   I am here to impove my sound.  Not to get into a war about cables or if they even do anything.  I have been in the high end side of audio for 35 years.  Everything can effect sound.   I now have a very good source mac mini.   Now i hear that my usb cable is the weakest link.  Im not looking for the most expensive cable either.   The Silver usb from blackcat cables,  always performs way above its price point. 

Yes it’s that variability that infests USB, the noise is always there from the source to the DAC and even the other way around, the USB cable with its great shield is a conduit for noise to pass freely.

After much deliberation, a network renderer was bought now 7 months ago, and did not need to use USB any more, haven’t looked back. That level of grunge is gone, and the cabling is not as fickle if the paths are simple, makes listening a joy, provided the recording doesn’t have too many flaws ....

The best way to improve USB is not to use it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Oh, but you do know. I just tell you. Hahaha.

The key is in the "always present" because although it is, it is always different (incurred for by environmental settings and even explicit settings (like in-software)). And btw, although a lot is USB specific, an other lot is not related to USB at all.

The skill about controlling it and slowly we get further and further with that. According to some, however, nothing happens. :/

Maybe you should look up the likes of Henry Ott or Ralph Morrison...

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

As long as these aspects are not understood, all USB cables will sound the same.

If no bit errors, they will all sound the same, at least to Mansr :D

7 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The best way to improve USB is not to use it.

Unfortunately, some are forced to use it if they want DSD.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, JanRSmit said:

So , to understand what you are saying, in the case of digital info, noise (which is always present) will not somehow interfere if it stays below a certain level. Then the questions i have:

How is this achieved in essence?

does the noise spectrum make a difference?

Is this true also for computer to dac communication?

How do i as enduser know the always present noise is not interfering? 

The reference is to noise superimposed on the digital signal, not EMC engineering of a system. The comment is reffering ton the signals travelling down a wire and comparing an analogue signal to a digital signal and the effect of noise on these signals. If the eye opening of a digital signals eye diagram is within the required specification then the digital data will get through.

System noise problems comes under EMC engineering, well studied, very well studied, lots of information out there on EMC.

If the USB source is battery powered (disconnected from AC mains power) I wonder how much a system would sound different with all these different USB cables?

Easy to test with a laptop as USB source (all other cables disconnected). Or even a mobile phone/tablet (turning off WiFi and cellular radio for the test).

No ground / leakage currents...

Of course I know it's not always practical to have a battery powered USB source - can be a pain in the a$$ if you need to re-charge a battery all the time.

57 minutes ago, marce said:

The reference is to noise superimposed on the digital signal, not EMC engineering of a system. The comment is reffering ton the signals travelling down a wire and comparing an analogue signal to a digital signal and the effect of noise on these signals. If the eye opening of a digital signals eye diagram is within the required specification then the digital data will get through.

System noise problems comes under EMC engineering, well studied, very well studied, lots of information out there on EMC.

Tanks for pointing to eye diagram. Two main causes are jitter and noise, perhaps also signal strength. This is under the assumption that the cable and plugs and receptacles themselves and together function flawlessly. Correct analysis?

Have never used a USB link in audio, but everything I've read of people's experiences makes me very suspicious of the plug and receptacle arrangement - one of the first experiments I would do if I were to pursue this aspect of audio would be to remove this mechanism from the link entirely; that is, hardwire the cable to the circuitry at both ends ... does this make a difference?

I've listened extensively for differences in USB cables from Oyaide, Ghent Audio, Vangard, Korg and several generics, including dual-head and USB 3.0. I hear significant differences among all of these in my main system and in my dedicated headphone system. I agree with whoever said that cost is not a determinant of SQ. Powering the DAC separately from the digital transport with a USB cable or iDefender is sometimes a major improvement, sometimes unnecessary. 

In my headphone system, I replaced a Ghent Audio dual-head USB cable with a USB A to B adapter (no cable, just a simple adapter), in my dedicated desktop system. The adapter is USB 3.0 because that is what iFi recommends with their iPurifier. I heard an immediate improvement in PRaT due to faster transient release and decay. 

I am very pleased with the Oyaide neo+ Class A in my main audio system, where it outperformed a more expensive Oyaide neo+ Class S cable and other USB cables mentioned above. If I could accommodate it physically, I would replace the Oyaide with a Sonore USB adapter. What is especially appealing with the Sonore is the 5V bus blocking switch. I use electrical tape to block the 5V pin on the Oyaide, which provides a significant improvement in the sound. My DAC does not use USB power and does not manage it well. YMMV, but do try blocking the USB 5V if your DAC is self-powered.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

4 minutes ago, musicguy said:

Im the original poster of this thread?

May  I kill it.   Im tired of my email blowing up.

I dont care if you believe in science or cable theories .   I just wanted to know if you bought a cable and you thought it sounded good.

musicguy

Hahahaha, sorry you had to go true this, cables is a sensitive subject around here.

good luck with your search 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 hours ago, musicguy said:

hey guys,   

please dont  attack anyone here. 

do you have a good review of a usb cable or not

musicguy

Hi musicguy.  I am 100% in the camp that different usb cables can impact sound quality based on my own buying, trying, selling experiences.  Having said that, I have no issue with any of my fellow AS members who are not "believers".  My favorite is the Sablon Reserva.

This is the best (and longest running) usb cable comparison thread here on AS, imho, so take a look:

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

3 hours ago, musicguy said:

current top performing usb cables?

musicguy

From where I'm coming from you're asking the wrong question - it's akin to having unbalanced wheels on your car, and asking people what are the best cushions to sit on so that you can't feel the vibration coming through the seat ...

IOW, it's vastly more effective understanding why there's a problem, and then doing something, perhaps quite trivial, which eliminates the issue completely - i.e. take the car to a tyre dealer, and get a low cost rebalancing.

People in the audio game either believe that there has to be a magic solution, preferably ridiculously expensive, :), or thump the table ferociously, declaring that it's impossible for there to be a problem in the first place! It's a nutter's world, and most sane people steer well clear of it, :P. Rationality plays only a small part in the mix, and so the Days of Our Lives continues ...

If I was determined to make having the 'right' USB cable The Solution, I would buy every single cable that was out there that had a money back guarantee, hundreds if necessary, and try them out one at a time, to find the particular item that just happened to be most effective in that rig, for whatever reasons completely unique to that setup and environment. If half a dozen happened to be a good match, pick out the prettiest ... and send all the rest back, ^_^.