IGNORED

usb cables?

12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The amusing thing is that 35 years ago I did this very thing ... I tripped over achieving convincing sound - most people have come across a rig at some point in this hobby which took their breath away; it just produced music, with zero excuses in any areas whatsoever - and this happened to me by my own efforts. I just happen to have a " I want to know what's going on!!" attitude, so I spent years trying to listen to every ambitious rig, every demo I could organise, to see where other people were at ... Nope! Essentially a 100% failure by everything out there, not even getting close most of the time.

The principle at work here is similar to this:

justified.jpg.5e049b9cb5ecd77d2f459e005014c9fe.jpg

In other words, the common denominator in all of those systems was the person listening to them.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

People ignore me, because I'm not part of the pack ... there has been decades of a buildup of a belief system about how to go about getting good sound reproduction - and I cut right across that, at almost a perfect right angle. People much prefer to ignore something which 'offends' their thinking - or to fantasise about magic solutions which make all their audio 'difficulties' disappear; without having to put real effort into understanding why they are not getting closer to their goal.

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

The principle at work here is similar to this:

In other words, the common denominator in all of those systems was the person evaluating them.

Ah, so you're one of the people who can't distinguish the sound of a hifi from live music - or who has never heard a system that didn't do that for you?

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ah, so you're one of the people who can't distinguish the sound of a hifi from live music - or who has never heard a system that didn't do that for you?

Your assumption doesn't follow from what he wrote.

Disagreeing with your "Essentially a 100% failure by everything out there, not even getting close most of the time" is not the same as saying that there is 100% success.  lol

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

It's not hearing aids, it's the short term memory thing that's really peeing me off at the moment

Then you need a Memory Player.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Just now, PeterSt said:

Frank, HiFi is from 1972.

Umm, still here in all its glory - I torture myself now and again by visiting the high end dealers in town, and seeing what sort of show they can put on ... you know, I reckon it's getting worse, ^_^.

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I torture myself now and again by visiting the high end dealers in town

image.png.c27625b172eb134ba3988d315c031894.png

Frank, come on now ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Your assumption doesn't follow from what he wrote.

Disagreeing with your "Essentially a 100% failure by everything out there, not even getting close most of the time" is not the same as saying that there is 100% success.  lol

It is much easier these days to acquire gear at reasonable cost, which if hooked up without thought gets a lot right - but it's still the computer project, etc, type of analogy: it takes 10% of the time to get 90%, and 90% and much more to get most of the last 10%.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It is much easier these days to acquire gear at reasonable cost, which if hooked up without thought gets a lot right

image.png.c86b2ca6721b3dafde1ce2336a833087.png

but maybe this is better still:

image.png.feab95a1dfe435998bedcddbd553dee7.png

XXHighEnd (developer)

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

People ignore me, because I'm not part of the pack ... there has been decades of a buildup of a belief system about how to go about getting good sound reproduction - and I cut right across that, at almost a perfect right angle. People much prefer to ignore something which 'offends' their thinking - or to fantasise about magic solutions which make all their audio 'difficulties' disappear; without having to put real effort into understanding why they are not getting closer to their goal.

This is not supported by evidence. 

The beliefs of folks here are all over the map but there is universal consensus that you are full of it.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

18 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This is not supported by evidence. 

The beliefs of folks here are all over the map but there is universal consensus that you are full of it.

The core of my thinking is that audio reproduction usually fails to deliver the impact of live music making because flaws in the integrity of the audio system generate audible anomalies which disturb the listening brain - and a convincing illusion doesn't happen. If that is a sign that I'm "full of it", perhaps you should advise all airlines to dismiss the staff that concern themselves with keeping their craft airworthy, :).