IGNORED

usb cables?

Seriously though, there is no known mechanism by which USB cables could "sound" different. There is also no compelling evidence that they actually do. Reports of perceived differences are far more likely to be rooted in psychology than the cables themselves. In other words, the "best sounding" cable is whichever one makes you happier.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

And miraculously adapts said noise to have exactly the same effect regardless of which components are connected.

No. It'll be physics.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

2 hours ago, musicguy said:

@ Mansr,

I understand usb requirements.   Im talking about best usb audio sound.   I hear a different between 4 of my cables.   I think the industry is finally accepting usb cables sound different.

musicguy

If you have heard differences in USB cables you have already gone to the dark side, well according those who don’t hear. 

Read the “Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences” thread.

good luck

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

There will be never such a thing as a best USB cable - cables are just one of the areas where flaws in the reproduction chain integrity find it easiest to manifest; and the usual measurements of "performance" will never reveal themselves ... quick, give me a list of 10 things to measure which guarantees that a particular aircraft is safe to fly in ... ^_^.

Unfortunately, measurists are mesmerised by the beauty of being able to read off some numbers - their confidence that all is right in the world has been confirmed. Back in the real world, people just want their audio to sound better; and so experiment, experiment, experiment ...

Best cable? Will depend on the weaknesses in the particular rig - something like the Lush item makes it easy to vary the characteristics of the connecting link, and hence reveals the sensitivity of the connected components to the analogue qualities of the transmitted signal, and robustness in being able to reject interference and noise resulting from the nature of the link.

Truth is, best cable is no cable - a direct, high integrity, fully shielded connection from source to DAC will always be best - every floppy, plug in link only introduces more complications, more potential for degrading factors to play a part.

2 hours ago, marce said:

Totally ignoring the emotion I often find in music how large of an effect is this? 

Zero.

2 hours ago, marce said:

alter the bit pattern of the music buried in the transported data

Since you seem to be serious, would you care to give an example of how this would alter sound as such ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

something like the Lush item makes it easy to vary the characteristics of the connecting link

But Frank, what characteristic would you be referring to then ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

@musicguy, apologies to you. But this will be turning out badly. Your thread was derailed at post #2.

#1 actually. How dare you to ask the question. This is digital, man (with a twist so our century ago "this is TV man" commercial, someone selling a best tooth paste by means of a former radio commercial which would work, without sight).

XXHighEnd (developer)

The Lush makes it easy to alter how shielding of the signal is configured, which alters the qualities of the noise and other interference seen by the receiving circuitry - I've done primitive experiments playing with shielding with some of the rigs over the years, and everything you do to alter the arrangement of this changes the sound. The goal should be to make the system completely impervious to doing this sort of mucking around; otherwise, it's just a form of DSP, tone controls.

5 hours ago, musicguy said:

current top performing usb cables?

A serious response for a twist ?

That does not exist. Literally mansr could be right. The top performing cable should be a compliant one. But what is top performing ? zero data error in one month of time ?

I suppose so.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

and is in a good position to remove unwanted commentary. 

Ah OK. Then now I know where my first post went to.  image.png.4310431f21a5e3c32b6eeef34746bdac.png

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 hours ago, musicguy said:

current top performing usb cables?

An other answer:

USB for audio never should have been invented; In the good old S/PDIF days we could at least blame all to jitter. With USB this is 100x more difficult (it is still the same, but it requires this thread to be 2000+ posts first with numerous people banned and a closed down thread in the end with still no clear consensus).

So top performing USB cables exist, but I myself would have no clue about how such a cable would emerge. This is different from "having" one (as in: producing one). Believe it or not.

Maybe one day ...

XXHighEnd (developer)