IGNORED

usb cables?

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Btw, nothing measurable either.

Not even to the N.S.  team who designed the LM4562(LME49720) series of opamps where they could hear clear differences in favour of the HA ( metal can version)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Not even to the N.S.  team who designed the LM4562(LME49720) series of opamps

I am not familiar with particularly those, but read the datasheets of them. They can't be measured by normal means. It first needs attenuation and some more tricks and multiplication to "find out" the THD.

Still, people in here think that what we can hear, should be measurable. Well, I agree. Now the how-to.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

25 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I am not familiar with particularly those, but read the datasheets of them. They can't be measured by normal means. It first needs attenuation and some more tricks and multiplication to "find out" the THD.

Still, people in here think that what we can hear, should be measurable. Well, I agree. Now the how-to.

Several years ago Mark (Audioman54 IIRC) posted about this in DIY Audio. He was part of the original design team before they were made redundant.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/132471-national-opamp-inflation.html

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

There are no mysteries ... :).

Opamps have a sound, because they have clearly defined, mostly, limitations - if one reads the spec sheets with knowledge, then it becomes pretty easy to pick likely good ones, the duds, and the ones that will need a lot of babying to give of their best. PSRR is one of the juicy ones; usually the first thing I look at - yes, numbers are magic, but you need to know how to interpret what they mean, or may imply ^_^.

Trouble with most audio engineering is that the thinking is in small boxes - if one number looks especially good, then it's Hallelujah!! time - ummm, no ... everything has be in place, and then one can celebrate, :D.

11 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

What makes you believe your "knowledge" is real?

He read it in a Textbook somewhere ? :D

I don't doubt that he has a great deal of knowledge, but knowledge needs to be updated regularly, and where there are NUMEROUS instances of people reporting things differently  to what is currently accepted, they should be fully investigated with an open mind, using their ears too, or better still the ears of people who report such things under correctly set up DBT conditions.

I would be surprised if Manishander  wasn't able to demonstrate this to him with a DBT comparison of his  Lush USB cable and a USB certified cable of his own selection if they were both willing to try this.

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

It's considered not very taxing electronics by a large part of the manufacturing sector, which is why sound reproduction so much of the time is somewhat mediocre: boring, grey, a world where only the best recordings are listenable to - the systems are not capable of getting out of the way, and add far too much of their own signature; they don't do the job of revealing what's on the recording, and only the recording, and trip over themselves when asked to deliver realistic volumes, and to present complex mixes of sound without fuss ... they are, what's the word now - ah, yes, incompetent ...

Load of crap.

I will give you a good laugh: my side hobby is not noise. It is my job, in audio. And so easy to prove / show (did that a 100 times already).

XXHighEnd (developer)

10 hours ago, mansr said:

Ah, the old "audio is special" argument.

Audio *is* special. Small example: would a bit of jitter be irrelevant in telecommunications, with audio the same amount will be audible. I don't say I could qualify it (audibly) but a difference in somewhat higher and lower jitter (without quantification) is easily audible.

From here on, audio is special from most angles. The only bad thing is that people tend to come up with what they hear. They can't measure. And about the latter, you can't either;

It wasn't quite proper. Lots of things were not controlled. The outcome was surprising enough that I'd like to see it repeated. I'd also like to deploy some more sophisticated measurement gear than was available on the occasion. Neither is likely to ever happen.

Maybe you recall that in that thread of concern (blue/red pill) I warned a dozen times in advance about what you wanted to measure, couldn't. I am not sure whether this question got deleted by the cleanup Chris applied or that I never got around posting it, but here it is again: what would you bring these days ?

This is not a cynical or sth question. I only claim that

a. things are clearly audible

b. which can't be measured.

And remember, in advance of that pill happening, you thought differently. E.g. Marce will do too (I don't want to put words to his mouth, but I am pretty sure he will).

Btw, indeed back at the time it was not about USB cables at all. So not sure whether by now we can generalise things.

What would you bring that you possess for real ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

He read it in a Textbook somewhere ? :D

I don't doubt that he has a great deal of knowledge, but knowledge needs to be updated regularly, and where there are NUMEROUS instances of people reporting things differently  to what is currently accepted, they should be fully investigated with an open mind, using their ears too, or better still the ears of people who report such things under correctly set up DBT conditions.

I would be surprised if Manishander  wasn't able to demonstrate this to him with a DBT comparison of his  Lush USB cable and a USB certified cable of his own selection if they were both willing to try this.

If knowledge is updated regularly it changes regularly. Whatever changes regularly does not exist in a first hand, and couldn't be real.

21 hours ago, mansr said:

The USB 2.0 standard does not specify wire gauge for any of the conductors. The only requirements are regarding voltage drop, signal attenuation, and propagation delay. The voltage drop requirement – max 125 mV – can be met, assuming a maximum load of 500 mA, by choosing a wire with a resistance of at most 0.25 Ω. That's easy for any reasonable cable length. The attenuation requirements – 5.8 dB at 400 MHz – are also not particularly onerous. The maximum permitted propagation delay of a cable is 26 ns. With a typical propagation speed of 0.2 m/ns, the maximum length is thus 5.2 m. An ideal cable with propagation speed equal to the speed of light would have a maximum length of 7.8 m, and nothing in the known universe can get past that. In practice, hosts and devices often tolerate longer delays, so cable lengths exceeding these limits may still work.

For sake of accuracy only:

• Low Speed USB 2.0 cables  have a max propagation delay of 18ns (USB2.0 Spec. Rev2 ch 7.1.6 p166)
  • Cable Mechanical Configuration and Material Requirements are provided in chapter 6.6 (USB20 Spec.Rev2)