IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

Sounds interesting but I wonder if I can utilize this effectively with the Yggdrasil DAC. I have a rather small library of flac files which sound really good in their default redbook format. Would the idea be to upsample these files using PGGB to the highest input sample rate of the DAC? Or, would it not be so worthwhile with a DAC that accepts only up to 24/192?

Cheers,

-Rob

Since you are acting ambassador(s) for this commercial entity, correct?

Why does it require internet access?  

Have you verified this software works on site owner's CAPS 20 server?  If not please depict a commercially available option "EXTREME" (per your literature) enough to run it using high resolution base rate files.

Are either of you being compensated in any form for your participation and/or promotion of PGGB?  

Could you explain any of the numerous inside jokes one is presented with during operation of the program?

I would like to wish you the best with this endeavor.  Clearly you believe in it enough to put your personal stamp on it as regular contributors to AS.  The level of interest will no doubt swell due to your participation. 

A large question of usability on almost all hardware and lack of trial license prevents doing anything but requesting more detailed information at this point.

I can say 100% that Roy, Rajiv, and I have had zero compensation, and have zero financial interest of any kind in this project (for example, we all paid full price for our licenses).   I appreciate the sensitivities behind the question though.  I do not consider myself an ambassador, but more of a delighted early adopter and user.  Anything I post is representing me and my personal opinions, and not PGGB or any other vendor.  I am happy to share my experiences though.

As to the other questions @Zaphod Beeblebrox is on AS, so he's best to answer the other questions, but I believe the licensing scheme uses internet access (I'm not aware of any other use of internet access...ZB can verify)  

I know ZB is a strong advocate of trial licenses (he supported them during the private beta) so as the product formally launches, I'm pretty sure he will continue to do so.  Note that PGGB requires significant amounts of memory to run, so most folks don't have suitable hardware easily available to them.  Most PGGB users have been happy to help process sample tracks for folks.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, rando said:

Why does it require internet access?  

Thanks for your interest. It requires internet access only in trial mode. It requires firewall access to allow parallel processing, but this is localhost only.

1 hour ago, rando said:

Have you verified this software works on site owner's CAPS 20 server?  If not please depict a commercially available option "EXTREME" (per your literature) enough to run it using high resolution base rate files.

I have some examples of the type of PCs that can run PGGB. This is off-line processing, so PC noise is not a issue. PGGB - FAQ (remastero.com)

1 hour ago, rando said:

Could you explain any of the numerous inside jokes one is presented with during operation of the program?

I am a fan of The Hitchhiker's guide to The Galaxy and it is an engineer dad's attempt at humor.

1 hour ago, rando said:

A large question of usability on almost all hardware and lack of trial license prevents doing anything but requesting more detailed information at this point.

Yes there is a 30 day free trial. 

ps: The website will undergo a few changes in preparation to move from beta.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Is there a version which can be used for streaming from Qobuz?

What if we say, the remastero engine, with the same uncompromising approach, and its insanely long filters can be part of your audio chain? Reimagine what is possible for real-time playback from both streaming sources and local files.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

17 minutes ago, matthias said:

Is there a version which can be used for streaming from Qobuz?

What if we say, the remastero engine, with the same uncompromising approach, and its insanely long filters can be part of your audio chain? Reimagine what is possible for real-time playback from both streaming sources and local files.

Matt

I lack the time bandwidth to develop a full fledged playback software, nor do I have the software expertise needed. However, I have developed a high performance SDK that can be used by those (such as server vendors) who want to incorporate the remastering into  their playback. 

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Something like this was bound to happen ... it's pretty trivial to demonstrate to oneself that offline upsampling CD , or MP3, etc, material, improves SQ, for less than optimal playback chains - just using easily available software one can do this right now; but I guess most people would like the functionality bundled up in a nice package, with all the lights, bells and whistles, 🤪.

A quote from their website,

At remastero, we strive to impart the qualities of a live rendition - connecting you to the original performance as it was recorded, teleporting you to the the stage, pulling you closer to the artists.

Yeah, right 🙄 ... well, guess what ... that's what's on the recording anyway ... it just takes a fully, or close to it, sorted rig to pull off that 'trick' - and it's been that way ever since digital recordings were released. Guess there will always be money to be made in reinventing the wheel ... and so things move on ... 😏.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yeah, HMS doesn't get anywhere near the technical performance... :D

Heh.  I use your sinc filters for any music not scaled by PGGB.  I actually switched from an Innuos server to an Antipodes server just so I can have this ability.  Plus HQPlayer does a very fine job of playing my PGGB files as well.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256