IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

I've read some of the material on XXHighend 'forum' and boy what a commitment to wrap ones head around it and get it setup and working. Haven't had the energy to try it.

Even the 'Getting started' posts are somewhat difficult to find and once there the list of articles to read is immense. I supposed after many years it becomes 2nd nature but I doubt the author will ever grow sales with this 1990s approach to information sharing.

It may be all slick now but I simply can't tell from what is presented.

Yes, one more person had reported this to me. The files play fine on HQP but Roon seems to have a problem and we will have to report this to Roon. These are standard wav files, so no reason for them not to play.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Roon was likely not expecting rates higher than that... If a bunch of us ask Roon, they may oblige

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

For all those that have used PGGB in scale... How are you storing your large, remastered libraries? NAS? SSDs / HDs on your all-in-one server? NVME Storage on your all-in-one server? I would imagine the latter would be VERY expensive given file sizes, but the latter is also widely agreed upon here to be the best sounding storage option? Has something happened that has lowered the gap in quality between NVME and other storage methods that I'm not aware of? Or is the quality improvement from PGGB so large that the storage media and method doesn't really matter? 

I have 8 TB of storage in my K30 and plan to fill it all with PGGB files.  I'm a little over half way there.  

I have successfully played PGGB files off my NAS via Roon/HQPlayer thought on a few files playback has paused on their own during playback.  An EtherRegen unfortunately slows the network coming into my K30 down to 100 mbps, so maybe without this bottleneck these files might play just fine.

Once I fill local storage I will likely to follow the jukebox approach described above by @austinpop.  I actually have a sync job set up that syncs all my PGGB files down to the K30.  I can easily enable/disable folders for sync.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Q: Is there a technical exchange that would be useful to the project and would further our understanding of the principles being explored for upsampling approaches?

Excerpted from @Miska's thread on HQPro:

If PGGB uses a billion tap filter, but doesn't make your song billion samples longer, it is doing it wrong and truncating your transients, making performance much worse than with shorter filters and thus more than making point of using longer filters moot.

I've said this before, but the whole thing with those very long filters is just silly and pointless. It just screws up your time domain completely. A billion poor taps cannot beat thousand good ones.

For me, the interesting thing is to make filter as short as possible while still having as perfect frequency domain performance as possible. IOW, making filter kind of short and long simultaneously, getting as close as possible to the mathematically impossible - at the sweet spot in the middle. So reaching goals of both MQA and Chord (totally opposite), but better in both respects.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

4 hours ago, hols said:

In both the Terminator+ and Holo May that I have tested I would choose 24 bit as giving the best SQ. This might be surprising to some because from some data it seems that 20 bit is the sweet spot. What I have reported above is my test result and I encourage that more tests be done to validate or refute the results.

Hols,

Nice to hear from you.  I am specifically asking about the May as dac.  When you say "I would choose 24 bits" do you mean in PGGB, HQPlayer, or both?  If just HQPlayer then are we led to believe you are choosing 32 or 64 in PGGB, and doing the LS15 noise shaping in HQP?  And default settings for PGGB (except noise shaping)?

Also, are you converting all your DSD to PGGB-PCM, or staying in DSD and processing them with HQP....I couldn't tell from your comments, although you said you liked PCM better now.

Thx

Ted

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Hols,

Nice to hear from you.  I am specifically asking about the May as dac.  When you say "I would choose 24 bits" do you mean in PGGB, HQPlayer, or both?  If just HQPlayer then are we led to believe you are choosing 32 or 64 in PGGB, and doing the LS15 noise shaping in HQP?  And default settings for PGGB (except noise shaping)?

Ted, 

Due to the time difference with Hong Kong, and since I'm aware of @hols experiments, I think the three scenarios he describes are as below. Obviously, this is provisional until he confirms.

24-bit

native file ---------> PGGB ----------> upsampled file -----> HQP ----------> DAC

out = 32fs                                            filter = None

output bits = 24                                  DAC bits = 24

NS = Auto (On)                                   dither = None

32-bit

native file ---------> PGGB ----------> upsampled file -----> HQP ----------> DAC

output bits = 32                                  DAC bits = 24

NS = Off                                              dither = LNS15

64-bit

output bits = 64                                  DAC bits = 24

NS = Off                                              dither = LNS15

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Hols,

Also, are you converting all your DSD to PGGB-PCM, or staying in DSD and processing them with HQP....I couldn't tell from your comments, although you said you liked PCM better now.

Thx

Ted

Hi Ted,

Sorry that I did not make it clear in my post. I made several PGGB files using the default setting which is highlighted grey in the Manual (that is natural transparency, transparent presentation and moderate HF noise filter) and then I vary the output bit depth to 19 bit, next one is 20 bit etc up to 24 bits in separate folders. For 19 bits to 24 bits I would use the default adaptive noise shaping. This noise shaping is meant to clean up the frequency repetitions.  Then when I feed a 19 bit file to the HQplayer the HQplayer setting is also changed to 19 bits and no filter and no more noise shaping is used in HQplayer. When I make a 32 bit or 64 bit PGGB file I would not use the adaptive noise shaping of PGGB because I need to put the HQplayer setting to 32 bit and also use the LNS15 noise shaping in HQplayer. This is based on the understanding that with 32 bit there will be some manupulation by the DAC anyway so using the PGGB noise shaping may end up in double noise shaping. 

My statement of I would choose 24 bits simply means that I think 24 bits give the best SQ. And then when I make PGGB files I would use 24 bit and also use adaptive noise shaping of PGGB and then in HQplayer I wouls set it to 24 bit and no filter or noise shaping. I don't do streaming with Tidal or Quobuz because I have got already too many albums so the default setting in HQplayer would be set to 24 bits.

I have tried some conversion of DSD to PCM the result is variable. It depends on whether the original DSD file is well recorded or not. We all know that some DSD files are not really good recordings or true high resolution recordings. My intention is to use a similar strategy like Rajiv's jukebox  method. This is because I have over 15K albums ripped into 10Tb in my NAS and it is impossible to convert them all to PGGB files as it will end up to almost 200Tb. And it will take 3 years to do it.  So I would only pick the ones that I think has high chance to get benefit. But it may be tricky as to how to pick so this will have to be modified along the way. 

5 minutes ago, hols said:

My statement of I would choose 24 bits simply means that I think 24 bits give the best SQ. And then when I make PGGB files I would use 24 bit and also use adaptive noise shaping of PGGB and then in HQplayer I wouls set it to 24 bit and no filter or noise shaping.

So this is the May setup, thanks.  This prompts the question:  since HQPlayer is now doing no DSP (other than providing 24 bit output) have you tried these 24 bit PGGB files on other players?  Or is HQPlayer the choice also due to DSD playback (where you may not PGGB the files)?

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

Sending 32 bit to Holo Audio DACs will just result in last 8 bits being truncated (thrown away). The USB interface even reports that it is 24-bit in 32-bit sample container. HQPlayer can auto-detect this on Linux too. But 20-bit recommendation combined with NS5, NS9 or LNS15 noise shaper is based on measurements. Sending 24-bits there will just significantly increase distortion of especially low level signals and linearisation effect of noise shaper designed for this purpose is just lost because the conversion ladder doesn't have enough precision.

Correct way to come up with number of DAC bits is to measure the DAC's analog output. (I have a reason why I have invested tens of thousands of Euros on measurement gear)

If the 20 bit recommendation was based on measurements with NS9 or LNS15 then could it be different for PGGB?

There is a difference in sound that @hols is experiencing.  I suppose it's possible Hols likes the sound of some distortion.  I don't mean that in a negative way because a lot of what characterizes the sound of something, can be some form of distortion.