IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

If the 20 bit recommendation was based on measurements with NS9 or LNS15 then could it be different for PGGB?

No, it is based linearity measurement of the DAC. And linearisation performance has been verified with my noise shapers designed for that particular purpose.

I don't know if the noise shaper in PGGB can linearise the DAC with any setting, it depends on how it has been designed. That would need to be measured from the DAC output.

Without such linearisation, for example with 24-bit TPDF dithered input, you have quite a bit of distortion on low level signals because the R2R ladder is not accurate enough.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

24 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Using lesser bits leads to more quantization error, so when recommending 19 bits or 20 bits for a 24 bit DAC, what is happening is the last 4 or 5 bits are zeroed out and not being used to avoid any distortions they may introduce.

Even with 16-bit input (which you can do for example from macOS at 1.5M), with suitable noise-shaper the noise floor is flat to >100 kHz. So from 100 kHz bandwidth analog measurement you wouldn't be able to tell if the input is 20 or 16-bit because analog noise dominates.

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

Even with 16-bit input (which you can do for example from macOS at 1.5M), with suitable noise-shaper the noise floor is flat to >100 kHz. So from 100 kHz bandwidth analog measurement you wouldn't be able to tell if the input is 20 or 16-bit because analog noise dominates.

Agreed, PGGB can noise shape to 12bits. 

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Just now, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Agreed, PGGB can noise shape to 12bits. 

OK, I support anything from 8 to 32 bits output. But where the analog noise floor boundary is crossed depends on combination of DAC and particular noise shaper. Best way to figure out is to measure.

PGGB Team:

In the guide, you warn about not using digital volume control:

Software volume control may look innocuous, what possible harm could come from converting to 64 bit doubles and changing the level? PGGB’s noise shaper all but eliminates quantization noise in the audible range. Any sort of processing such as volume control leads to 64 bit conversion and then truncation back to your DAC’s bit depth (16, 24 or 32). This conversion adds quantization noise back into the track that PGGB worked hard to remove.

Currently, I am using HQPe to feed upsampled PCM to my HOLO May DAC and am using digital volume control since I have no preamp in the chain.  My question is, have any of you experienced a noticeable degradation in sound quality using PGGB with digital volume control vs a preamp volume control? 

36 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Currently, I am using HQPe to feed upsampled PCM to my HOLO May DAC and am using digital volume control since I have no preamp in the chain.  My question is, have any of you experienced a noticeable degradation in sound quality using PGGB with digital volume control vs a preamp volume control? 

Noise-shaping needs to be the last thing before output. So if you use HQPlayer volume, you need to have noise-shaping at HQPlayer side and you are better off doing 64-bit float output from PGGB.

55 minutes ago, sledwards said:

PGGB Team:

In the guide, you warn about not using digital volume control:

Software volume control may look innocuous, what possible harm could come from converting to 64 bit doubles and changing the level? PGGB’s noise shaper all but eliminates quantization noise in the audible range. Any sort of processing such as volume control leads to 64 bit conversion and then truncation back to your DAC’s bit depth (16, 24 or 32). This conversion adds quantization noise back into the track that PGGB worked hard to remove.

In addition to what Jussi has said above, which I agree with, if file size is a concern, you could disable noise shaping in PGGB and set the output to 32bits. Then use HQPe as you normally do.

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

10 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

In addition to what Jussi has said above, which I agree with, if file size is a concern, you could disable noise shaping in PGGB and set the output to 32bits. Then use HQPe as you normally do.

Is this done by turning Adaptive Noise shaping off?  Then does that disable the three preferences: transparency, presentation and HF filter?

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

Is this done by turning Adaptive Noise shaping off?  Then does that disable the three preferences: transparency, presentation and HF filter?

Yes, it is done by turning the Adaptive Noise Shaping off. No it will not affect the preferences, the rest of the processing is done exactly as before, and you keep all your preferences. The one change is no noise shaping is done in the final step just before the values are written to file.

It's great to learn from all the experts here about the underlying reason of why the May should sound best at 20 bits. As I have also alluded to in my initial post I keep an open mind as to whether my listening tests are accurate or not. There could be bias because the process is not blinded. Maybe when circumstances allow I can get some friends around and arrange a blinded test and see whether others will come to the same conclusion. Of course the test is designed to find out which bit is going to give the best sound but I must admit that it is not that easy to distinguish true bit to bit conversion from dithered signal. And many a times dithering is going to give a more analog feeling to the resultant sound and becomes more appealing to many.  Probably the only one thing for sure is that 32 bits or 64 bit is not going to give you a better SQ in the May probably because of the truncation.

A friendly reminder for those who are trying PGGB for the first time. Please read the guide. 

If you run into any memory related issues, it is most likely because you have not allocated virtual memory. Please look here: PGGB - Zaphod's Guide (remastero.com)

I recommend 100 - 128GB of virtual memory.

DAMN YOU GUYS !!!! You just cost me $3500

just kidding

I just bought a gaming computer with 64G of ram  and an Nvidia 3070 graphics card. I was lusting after one anyway for other reasons and now I had another excuse. Man, graphics cards are like gold these days.. I seriously doubt I end buying a PGGB license for one simple reason. Since getting hooked on streaming I don't own a copy of an awful lot of what I listen to regularly so nothing to process. If it turns out to be what you say I may have to rethink that. I do have a Terminator +  so we'll see. In any case I intend to be flying around the world in Microsoft Flight Simulator. 

anybody tried digitizing  vinyl and processing that?

One thing I want to try is comparing  upsampled file via  USB >>> Hermes DDC >>> I2S >>> Terminator + which is limited to 16Fs and USB >>> Terminator + which will accept  32Fs

Let the games begin !!

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

To the early adopters,

With PGGB, is there still a need to purchase hi-res files?

In other words, would PGGB of 24/192 when available be superior to 16/44?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

17 hours ago, austinpop said:

What about streaming, you say? Well, with PGGB, the gap between PGGB-remastered local content and real-time HQP-upsampled streaming content is now so vast, that I view streaming only as a window shopping experience. I browse, I discover, and what I like, I buy, and I PGGB.

Open parenthesis...

I've been in a similar situation in the past, for entirely different reasons (USB key player, nothing to do with PGGB). I use streaming services also to check albums before I purchase them, and listen to the albums I like exclusively with local files. However, even after weeding out my collection by putting aside some albums I had "out of curiosity" and rarely if ever listened to, I was still left with a sizeable collection. Having to copy my music files from one drive to another in order to decide on an evening's playlist was fun at first, but over time grew to be a drag, and I felt like it was limiting.

In the case of PGGB, I assume you would keep music files potentially in three places: the original files (CD rips, or downloads), the converted files, on separate drive, and then the files you have available at a given point in time to play on your system.

The comparison with the "experience" of using physical media (CDs or LPs) is tempting, but in fact it quicker to pull out a CD or an LP than having to deal with computers to move files between drives (at least for me). Perhaps with some clever system you can ease the process - in which case other users may be interested in the solution you come up with. Anyway, people should consider these aspects carefully.

...close parenthesis.

17 minutes ago, ted_b said:

No PGGB'oing of the redbook versions will do it the justice that the DSD version does.  (So...PGGB that one, if ya want).  So choose wisely.  😎

PGGB can convert DSD (up to DSD 1024) to PCM rates and yes when the original master is DSD, PGGBd DSD files will sound better than the redbook counter part. I have several hybrid SACDs and when the DSD layer is PGGBd to 16fs it sounded better than the 44.1k layer. As I had mentioned earlier, provenance matters more than the rate and there is a reason why I still have several DSDs in my library. I have also purchased a few DSDs at DSD128 or DSD256 rates when they were direct DSD transfers. I have several older Jazz recordings for which the only version I like is the DSD version PGGBd.

22 hours ago, austinpop said:

I will say that, ironic as it sounds, I really am on a quest towards simplicity! With the Extreme, I no longer have the spaghetti chain of little boxes and cables and power supplies. The network side is still the wild west — some day we will have a true breakthrough. But I have also found that with a music player like HQPlayer or Taiko's TAS, I can cue up an album or playlist, hit play, and just unplug the network. No more "my stack o' switches sounds better than yours!"

I totally agree that simplicity is the quest and eliminate boxes!

Networks have undergone extreme progress in the last several years and I finally see consolidation! Its called "converged ethernet".

Microsoft has had a huge impact in sponsoring the Azure SONiC https://azure.github.io/SONiC/ network OS ... which is ... ta da ... Linux!

One might think that 100Gbe is extreme, but the network has again become the computer and PCIe runs over Ethernet ... the NVMEof NAS puts a cluster of NVME drives on the network, and this needs bandwidth. Also the latest fiber implementations are  multirate.

So "someday" is what's happening today. The network is there ... the continued progress will be on the software side and PGGB and HQPlayer are examples.

(I would love to try PGGB but my servers are exclusively Linux ... will have to load a VM someday)

What about streaming, you say? Well, with PGGB, the gap between PGGB-remastered local content and real-time HQP-upsampled streaming content is now so vast, that I view streaming only as a window shopping experience. I browse, I discover, and what I like, I buy, and I PGGB.

Meh, but I have 4 systems in my house and each has different DSP settings, so ther HQPlayer NAA model is so perfect.

All of us here know software is vitally important to SQ. OSes, music players, upsamplers — everything matters. But with my hardware stack as optimized as I could make it (or afford to), this last year has been a fascinating journey of discovery into how much software has an effect on SQ. This journey has been on two tracks. One is this one with PGGB, where I have learned so much about digital filters and noise shaping from @Zaphod Beeblebrox. The other is with Emile Bok of Taiko. Emile is a tinkerer par excellence, and he has enlisted some of us like-minded Extreme-owning tinkerers to "play" in his sandbox. This has given me a glimpse into impact of OS level tunings with the Extreme hardware, along with the nuances of music player design, the importance of USB drivers, and DAC USB-I2S controllers.

Another reason why Linux, you can modify the driver, write your own driver, even compile a custom kernel ... AMD has acquired Xilinx which is beyond huge ... same as the NVidia/Mellanox ... keep watching this space ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.