IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

Hi all.

Do you think this laptop would process PGGB files reasonably well?

G

Image 27-4-21 at 11.27 am.jpg

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

8 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi all.

G

Are you planning to use Parallels or Bootcamp?, in either case if you can allocate 48GB or more to windows, then you should be good. If you have a lot of DSD content, then using Bootcamp may be preferable as you can make use of all of 64GB. If using Parallels and if you can allocate 56GB to the VM, the performance will be bit slower with DSD tracks that are more than 5 minutes long.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

21 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi all.

G

I'm typing this on a similar spec 2019 MacBook Pro (only difference is 5500M 8GB). If there is ever a native OS X version of PGGB, I'll purchase it-- though I assume they would go straight to an ARM build at this point in time. 

6 minutes ago, idesign said:

I'm typing this on a similar spec 2019 MacBook Pro (only difference is 5500M 8GB). If there is ever a native OS X version of PGGB, I'll purchase it-- though I assume they would go straight to an ARM build at this point in time. 

PGGB is uses  Matlab which currently runs on rosetta on M1. I don't believe ARM will be an issue, one of the reasons I chose a Matlab was it makes cross platform support easier. 

Though PGGB does not currently support OS X, there is a very good chance that there will be Mac support. In your case, I worry more about 8GB RAM.

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

PGGB is uses  Matlab which currently runs on rosetta on M1. I don't believe ARM will be an issue, one of the reasons I chose a Matlab was it makes cross platform support easier. 

Though PGGB does not currently support OS X, there is a very good chance that there will be Mac support. In your case, I worry more about 8GB RAM.

8GB refers to the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M. I have 64GB of DDR4 memory which is the maximum spec Apple offers for the current 16-inch MacBook Pro. 

58 minutes ago, idesign said:

8GB refers to the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M. I have 64GB of DDR4 memory which is the maximum spec Apple offers for the current 16-inch MacBook Pro. 

Sorry about that, I misunderstood. 

4 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I have just released  Mac version of PGGB.

It shares the same features as the Windows version. It will run on both M1 and Intel platforms. On M1, it requires Rosetta (tested on M1 Mac book Air, 16GB RAM, 1TB Storage).

https://www.remastero.com/pggb.html#download

Thanks for releasing this Mac version.

I was using PGGB Windows version with Parallels on my iMac and all I can say is that this just released Mac native version of PGGB absolutely flies (perhaps 1/3 less processing time for an album!) 

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

34 minutes ago, matthias said:

It is not native for Apple M1 platform as it requires Rosetta.

Matt

Native macOS/Intel yes, not native to M1 (yet) but hopefully this year when a native runtime becomes available.

Here is a comparison of the performance on M1 (blue), FFT is what is relevant to PGGB and my experience when comparing speeds on my M1 to my desktop running intel [email protected] is similar (M1 3x slower) but no slouch in spite of running on Rosetta. 

Source: Link

image.thumb.png.b998f652e9ed7a2cb7fab98998bbe261.png

1 hour ago, matthias said:

It is not native for Apple M1 platform as it requires Rosetta.

Matt

Pedant. My Mac is not an M1 platform Apple so for my Intel Mac it is native.

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Ok I tried this today....I had to use my home pc i7 7700t & 24gb of RAM for the conversion. I am completely dumbfounded, blown away! I was never completely happy with how rock music sounded on my system, a few tracks of Metallica & I was in awe! Well done to everyone involved! I can’t wait to give extensive listening over the weekend! 

64gb ordered to take full advantage! @Zaphod Beeblebrox customer service is fantastic!