IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Historically speaking, there's never actually been an agreement on what it means. 

I could just as truthfully claim that historically speaking, 24/48 is the threshold.

Today, 24/44.1 seems to be accepted, and I don't think I actually have an argument with that.

For the last 4 years there has been agreements. 

Master Quality Recording sources

The descriptors for the Master Quality Recording categories are as follows:

MQ-P
From a PCM master source 48 kHz/20 bit or higher; (typically 96/24 or 192/24 content)

MQ-A
From an analog master source

MQ-C
From a CD master source (44.1 kHz/16 bit content)

MQ-D
From a DSD/DSF master source (typically 2.8 or 5.6 MHz content)

26 minutes ago, crenca said:

Good point.  I was thinking more of the likes Paul R, whose wordy prose only points to his own ignorance about MQA and unwillingness to research the basics before he opines...

You are welcome to moderate me out of your mutual admiration society if you wish. Facts won't change no matter how many times you repeat nonsense. People might start to agree with you, but then, loud, brash, aggressive repetition is a well known propaganda technique. You can convince people that fairies make the flowers grow if you shout long and loudly enough. 

Go for it...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I just used the report function, only the 2nd time I have ever used it.  You simply don't have a grasp of even the very basics of MQA, and now your getting personal with me.  This is not my thread, but if it was I would moderate you even though I think moderation 99% of the time is abused on internet forums.  Your either intentionally deraliing, or don't have a clue - either way the result should be the same...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, crenca said:

I just used the report function, only the 2nd time I have ever used it.  You simply don't have a grasp of even the very basics of MQA, and now your getting personal with me.  This is not my thread, but if it was I would moderate you even though I think moderation 99% of the time is abused on internet forums.  Your either intentionally deraliing, or don't have a clue - either way the result should be the same...

I thought you considered this "snitching". Or is that just the other 99% percent of reporting posts?  😉

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Lee, you have a history (well OK, one example - LHL crowdfunding) of being oblivious to the dangers others point out in the financial machinations of the audio and music industry.  The danger here is the potential to rather easily cut off the supply of non-MQA RedBook and hi res for those of us who prefer it.

Jud,

This is misleading at best.  I wrote an article five years ago (March 2014) talking about the advantages of the direct to consumer model and its advantages.

http://thehighfidelityreport.com/death-of-a-salesman-lh-geek-out-campaigns/

Unfortunately I used LH Labs as an example of how consumer could save money.   They were financially healthy at the time and delivering product and well regarded for their flagship DAC.  Two years later things started to change but there was no way for anyone to foresee that.  The good news is that the  business value of a direct to consumer model has held up well.  Massdrop, PS Audio Sprout, and other examples are evidence of that.

As for cutting off non-MQA supply, there appears to be no danger of that.  We have Qobuz successfully launching and non-MQA source material is plentiful.

9 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

crenca writes the above after seeing this comment from Paul R

"Facts won't change no matter how many times you repeat nonsense. People might start to agree with you, but then, loud, brash, aggressive repetition is a well known propaganda technique. You can convince people that fairies make the flowers grow if you shout long and loudly enough."

To crenca, Paul R "is getting personal with me."

But if crenca lays into Lee S for the umpteenth time, as below, it's not personal, "it's just true".

crenca said:

You were actually never part of it anyways.  Industry sycophants and insiders are only here to sell things and insider wants/needs, not actually take part in the process which helps consumers reach their high Fidelity goals. Your participation here is in fact anti-consumer.  This is not a disrespectful observation, it's just true.

I'm fairly certain that Paul R believes his observations about crenca are equally "true".

To note again what's obvious to many who stray into this forum looking for enlightenment on a complex subject: The discussion is dominated by a small number of highly partisan and self-regarding individuals who are convinced that the points of view they represent are inarguable facts. Those who don't see it their way can be maligned with ad hominem assaults. But not them. Their assailants should be sanctioned.

Andrew Quint

There observations, opinions, and then there are facts and truth.  You and Paul R speculate/opine (such as your political explanations of MQA and the consumer reaction to it, Paul's conspiracy theory that MQA is a some kind of hampered implementation of otherwise good tech) at best - Paul R has been just making stuff up (for whatever reason). When confronted with the truth you take offense. 

Clearly I have gotten under your skin by explicating the fact that you don't have the technical knowledge/experience to support your (and your magazines) erroneous assertions about MQA.  That's not personal and ad hominem, it's just the truth.  

8 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Seems like Archimago put the research together, people like EslDude, Miska, Jud, and Mansr, among others, pretty much validated it...

Just one of the ways you have things exactly backward... *sigh*

I just find it remarkable at how much energy is thrown into this MQA stuff - it's an irrelevant blip in the audio timeline, Just Another Method to try and make people's playback "sound better" - by foolin' around around with the source end. IME, the reproduction chain is where the real action is - why concern oneself with trying to compensate for lack of integrity in the reproduction mechanism by 'pre-distorting' the material, when the smart move is to make the system that presents the sound work better.

20 hours ago, rickca said:

I thought this thread was about MQA.

I thought this thread was actually exhibiting something other than overly wordy butthurt from the usual suspects.  Not clear on what your intent was there. 

For cripes sakes, my sentiments concerning this thread aren't so hard hearted I'd fail to pause long enough to offer condolences to @Rt66indierock instead of brushing past him to spout off with renewed vigor.  

1 hour ago, Jud said:

How is it you knew this?

Even Larry's very complimentary bio for a talk he gave at a business seminar in Taiwan said the crowdfunding campaigns had only brought the company near to break-even.  (I've linked it in the original LHL non-delivery thread if you'd like to read it.)  If you're a relatively small firm that has received $4.8 million in advance payments (the amount Crunchbase reports coming in from the campaigns - also linked in the same thread) for products you haven't yet spent the development, manufacturing and distribution funds for, and it only gets you near break-even, how financially healthy are you?

I was just going from the amount of money they raised at that point in time.  As a private firm, there was no way to get at financial statements.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

In your article you talked about people foreseeing bad things happening because of LHL getting ahead of themselves with the crowdfunding campaigns, and dismissed it as sour grapes from competitors who'd be swept aside by, as you stated in your title, the "Death of [their old-fashioned] Sales Model."

No, it wasn't two years after 2014 that "bad things started to happen."  Most of the crowdfunding had ended by then (some spilled over into 2015), and two years later people didn't have any product.  That means a lot of bad things happened in between the money being collected and two years later, which is certainly enough time to deliver some pretty ordinary types of products - DACs, DAPs, and such.  Pono, no one's idea of a well organized business, managed to do it just fine with their eponymous DAP.

Sorry Lee, I don't think I'm being at all misleading by stating that people in the business were saying LHL was headed for a fall and you incorrectly dismissed their concerns.

I don't recall reading about major concerns in early 2014.  In fact, a group of us in Atlanta were receiving shipments of Geek Pulses (the local audio club was one of the biggest initial orders with 26 units).  I think it was our local President John was the first to tell me about it. I thought the business approach was interesting and I was in the market for a less expensive DAC so I put in an order thinking $200 or so was a reasonable sum to risk.  Of course Gavin went nuts and every month or two sent out an email suggesting yet another upgrade.  I had around $800 into the game and received the Pulse Infinity with "naked resistors".  If there were credible concerns then that I was aware of, then I would have chosen another company to discuss.  

Also, there were sour grapes from retailers I knew at the time and from Stereophile who was probably protecting their advertising base to some extent.  At the time, two groups of business were threatened by this new model: the distributor and the retailer.  Fortunately, now we have manufacturers happily supporting kickstarter campaigns and sites like Massdrop.

So I made a decision to write about LH in the article because:

1.  It was interesting from a strategy consulting viewpoint, ie. new business model with advantages.

2.  It would be an opinion piece that my publisher Chris thought made sense.  He encouraged me to write about it.

3.  The company appeared to be real in that I had met Larry and Gavin at RMAF and Atlanta Axpona and they seemed to be legit.

4.  They had already started shipping units to our local audio club.  Everybody received their units on the initial order in fact so no red flags there.

It was reasonable decision based on what we knew at the time.  It's easy to second guess this decsion five years later.

31 minutes ago, tmtomh said:
  • Finally, on a more non-technical note, Lee is on record repeatedly, here and in multiple venues, saying that a key benefit of MQA is that it is an "ecosystem." And MQA's own reps are on record saying even more pointedly that the benefit for the record labels is that they don't have to "give away their Crown Jewels" if they securely wrap up the high-res PCM in MQA. More than this, Lee regularly has used this "business case" for MQA as a diversion in response to the technical objections about MQA's lossiness and DRM. So after all that extolling of MQA based precisely on MQA's aspirations to replace and supplant conventional PCM in the high-res marketplace, it is disingenuous for him to now say there's no danger of that happening.

Right.  Another way to say that "MQA begins and ends with DRM", is to say that "MQA begins and ends with a walled garden digital ecosystem".  Industry insiders understood this from the very beginning (just as Lee does), and this understanding is the crux of "the business case" as Andrew Quint's editor explained 3 years ago in his "The View From 10,000 feet" article...

2 hours ago, Jud said:

for products you haven't yet spent the development, manufacturing and distribution funds for, and it only gets you near break-even, how financially healthy are you?

This isn't accurate.  Larry and Gavin were showing the Geek Pulse boards at RMAF already.  The Pulse had been fairly far ahead in development which is another factor in my own personal decision to send in money.  Of course the next campaign for the Wave was a disaster.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

This isn't accurate.  Larry and Gavin were showing the Geek Pulse boards at RMAF already.  The Pulse had been fairly far ahead in development which is another factor in my own personal decision to send in money.  Of course the next campaign for the Wave was a disaster.

This is off topic - there is another thread about this, please post all this detail there.