IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just now, KeenObserver said:

Don't read them.

That wasn't it, keep trying.  :D

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

37 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I suspect that there are some people that would like to see it diverted to another subject.

Exposing the truth about MQA upsets them.

Let me just point out that a lot of people have expressed discomfit with MQA for at least three years. See example link below. The focus has not been lost or forgotten in all that time. I don't think the snarky remarks are adding much. 

I have been looking into the "lossy" part of MQA a bit over the past few days, just to satisfy my own curiosity. Disregarding any suspicions of MQA being a DRM attempt, I found a couple instances where people claimed that the hardware  reconstruction after unfolding in software actually completely restored a 24/96K recording. I have not been able to verify that as true, but has anyone else? 

And more importantly - does it really matter sonically at all that the format is lossy, since it seems to be that the masters are in a much higher lossless format, and in many cases, the higher resolution files are available.  That's all on top of MQA probably dying like DIVX. 

I am kind of thinking the lossy part of MQA roughly equates to the RIAA equalization filters in vinyl. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

4 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I must have missed those.

Yep,  you certainly must have. 

That cannot ever be disregarded.

It can if you try. It is not something that has to dominate any technical conversation. 

Forget any "couple instances where people claimed" anything and see the very real technical analysis in this and other threads where Mans, Arch, and Frederic have provided various proof debunking all 24/96 MQA "restoration" claims, unless you buy into the idea that Master Quality Adulterated somehow equates to 24/96 just because Bob said so. Or JVS, or JA, or RH, et al.

And your point is? That testing has shown lossy restoration? 

I believe I said that, and that other folks claim to have other evidence. I didn't say I believed them. 

But that doesn't mean all this needs to be rehashed forever either. As I pointed out by example, it has been discussed, at length, for years. 

What do you have that is new? 

Robert A. Heinlein

12 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

If MQA does (hopefully) go away, where does that leave the people with MQA music?  Equipment makers are no longer including hdcd decoding.  Will the same happen with MQA?

Someone will create the decoding in the public domain, and perhaps, even get it closer to what MQA could be. 

Think DIVIX - a technically superior video distribution format, that was tightly controlled for DRM purposes. Went out of business, was broken in a matter of days. Weeks at most. 

I do not think MQA "going away" is an issue to worry about, except the people at Tidal will go bonkers claiming they need to raise prices - again. 

Robert A. Heinlein

3 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I found a couple of instances where people claimed to have seen bigfoot!

That's interesting. Now, go ahead and prove they did not see the big hairy guy. Kinda hard to do, but I expect you might see trying for a while. 

Robert A. Heinlein

18 minutes ago, Paul R said:

What do you have that is new? 

The very same could be asked of you, and I've seen both your own and Lee's bogus veiled references to MQA here in the last page of posts as a lame not-clever veiled attempt at validating it from various angles.

Nice try.

While we're at it, nice attempt at the very same playbook that's been going on for literally years now: fail to answer any actual proof provided by technical experts and just pretend it doesn't exist, never at any time react to anything of substance previously offered, except in this case its just pretend there's "nothing new" even though no credible response to what you claim is old has never been provided by anyone, least of all you.

Responding in italics does not make any specific point, nor provide additional impact.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

21 minutes ago, Paul R said:

And your point is? That testing has shown lossy restoration? 

No, my point is that testing has shown MQA is lossy.

I think in recent pages MP3+ has been offered as a reasonable description if Master Quality Adulterated  proves undesirable for whatever reason.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

22 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

No, my point is that testing has shown MQA is lossy.

I think in recent pages MP3+ has been offered as a reasonable description if Master Quality Adulterated  proves undesirable for whatever reason.

So? 

APTx is lossy, and commercial, owned by Qualcom I think. It's also very useful and supports pretty good sounding music.  Is APTx your next target? That would appear to make just about as much sense. 

Again, do you have anything at all new to offer? Done any testing? Found any new results?  Done any original work?  

I just noted I found a couple instances where restoration appeared to be complete, even if I don't trust the sources. What if it is? Or how close to complete does it have to be to be useful? What would happen if MQA was used on 24/192K files? How much information would be lost, if any? What would it buy, technically and practically in terms of more musical material being available?  MQA's big claim was corrections in the time domain...

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

10 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

The lifecycle of MQA BS is endless.

Naw - you are just the latest generation to start the cycle again, thinking you have all the answers and know what the real story is. Like I said, you are not putting out anything new. But there is always the chance you young people might have some new take on an old issue.

Robert A. Heinlein

6 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I did not start the cycle again.  I was merely responding to it.  And, frankly,  it is tiresome listening to the same crap over and over again.  However,  it would do the music loving crowd an injustice to let the BS go unanswered.

Yep - have to rush right out there and correct every opinion you think is wrong - on the internet? 

God Bless your little heart.... (grin) 

Robert A. Heinlein