IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

BTW

I now have Qobuz on my Roon.

And the one thing I have noticed so far is that you can’t browse hi res albums or see what’s hi res. (As you can Tidal maters). But that’s a Roon issue. 

Right - given the bit depth / sample rates are clearly labeled on the album covers (i.e., that information is obviously available), if they would just add the "Focus" feature in the Qobuz section (and the corresponding Tidal section, too - why not?), it would be great - I'd set up a bookmark for all new Qobuz content, Classical genre, hi-res and I'd be set :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

1 hour ago, jhwalker said:

Right - given the bit depth / sample rates are clearly labeled on the album covers (i.e., that information is obviously available), if they would just add the "Focus" feature in the Qobuz section (and the corresponding Tidal section, too - why not?), it would be great - I'd set up a bookmark for all new Qobuz content, Classical genre, hi-res and I'd be set :)

Why not?  Good question.  I started a thread on their forum a while back (maybe a year ago), and it went nowhere.  Mostly the usual noise about MQA really being hi res, MQA hate, etc.  Someone recently started another thread in the feature request section.  Nothing from Roon itself.  I asked them point blank why not - Roon is all about tagging and focus and search.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I was thinking of his various posts through the years. He's said variously that DSD is bad, that 24/192 and DXD are unnecessary, in fact that pretty much everything except the 24/96 resolution recordings he produces and sells are a type of fraud on the consumer.

As for his own recordings, despite the fact his customers apparently aren't able to tell the difference between them and CDs, his site still says, "The more people experience real high-res audio the more they will demand record labels provide them."

More people demanding HiRes after experiencing it has nothing to do with audio quality.  There is no conflict, even with bold, quoted text.

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Does anyting come up? I love Americana but I’ve also said the only way I’m going to listen to it hi-res is to record it myself.

PS just bought tickets for Shakey Graves.

Why certainly, 1300 albums for Americana, 43,000 for rock.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

2 hours ago, 4est said:

Why certainly, 1300 albums for Americana, 43,000 for rock.

What format is typical for these?  Recently I've come across  stuff in Deezer in 24/44 (e.g. Caitlin Canty Motel Bouquet).  Problem is I don't know how to search for the 24-bit files on Deezer; it's just a matter of stumbling onto them.  But I wonder how many of these 1300 albums might be 24-bit on Deezer - just a few or many.

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Thanks I notice a lot of the Americana is 24/44.1. A pretty normal ADC output for quite  awhile.

It seems as if publishing new albums in minimal HiRes requirements to a superior price, is the new strategy of many labels that are not focused on Jazz or Classical, to secure their crown jewels since they've noticed that the download numbers for MQA albums are continuously marginal.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy for any well produced Americana or Indie Rock/-Folk album that is being published in at least real 24/88.2 or /96.

48 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

My main goal is to get a decent level of production in Americana even at 16/44.1 and that is harder than you think. The economics are a real challenge.

For sure you know the current situation in music production for this genre better than I do. I just wonder about your concerns, because recording equipment in most studios today is capable to record and master in at least 24/96. Apple requires for their "Mastered for iTunes" 24/96 WAV or AIFF files and iTunes requirements are still the benchmark. I assume, production costs for a mp3 version of an album is not significantly cheaper as for a 24/96, if any. Presumably, the conversion of the PCM masters to MQA files costs additional money. Finally, it seems that the real issue is a lack of qualified sound engineers and producers for this genre and has nothing to do with HiRes or MQA.

1 hour ago, #Yoda# said:

For sure you know the current situation in music production for this genre better than I do. I just wonder about your concerns, because recording equipment in most studios today is capable to record and master in at least 24/96. Apple requires for their "Mastered for iTunes" 24/96 WAV or AIFF files and iTunes requirements are still the benchmark. I assume, production costs for a mp3 version of an album is not significantly cheaper as for a 24/96, if any. Presumably, the conversion of the PCM masters to MQA files costs additional money. Finally, it seems that the real issue is a lack of qualified sound engineers and producers for this genre and has nothing to do with HiRes or MQA.

A lot stuff is not recorded in studios are even the equipment used isn’t the  quaility of a $700 Sony digital recorder.

Apple asked and didn’t get high resolution masters sorry. 

Actually the real reason in the Americana genre is resources to hire engineers in the first place. Some pretty good acts tour by camping.

23 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There’s an issue with Qobuz metadata. They are working to get it sorted so things appear in Roon better. 

Just a point of clarification, what I requested and while back and is still being requested by others (I think jhwalker was asking for the same thing) is for Roon to allow focusing - curating, search, etc. - of the streaming services based on file type, resolution, etc.  Even when Qobuz gets their tagging straightened out around 2L and any other MQA, we as end users don't have the ability to focus on "only MQA" or "only hi res > 24/48", etc.

10 hours ago, crenca said:

Just a point of clarification, what I requested and while back and is still being requested by others (I think jhwalker was asking for the same thing) is for Roon to allow focusing - curating, search, etc. - of the streaming services based on file type, resolution, etc.  Even when Qobuz gets their tagging straightened out around 2L and any other MQA, we as end users don't have the ability to focus on "only MQA" or "only hi res > 24/48", etc.

I agree that searching of TIDAL and Qobuz in Roon needs to be able to take account of formats, but the Focus feature of Roon does take account of the formats being used by streamed albums (TIDAL and Qobuz) in your library.

7 hours ago, gcoupe said:

I agree that searching of TIDAL and Qobuz in Roon needs to be able to take account of formats, but the Focus feature of Roon does take account of the formats being used by streamed albums (TIDAL and Qobuz) in your library.

This is true, but with Roon being as much of a front end to the two hi res streaming services, why not extend the already built in curating functionality of Roon to them as you say?  Everything is there - the tagging on the services side and the functionality in Roon.  On Roon's own forum it is evident that a great many of their customers (It appears to be a majority) would not even bother with Roon if not for it being a front end to Tidal/Qobuz.  Why is a player/service like Roon, which is all about end user search/curating, so "dumb" when it comes to its format and streaming?

4 hours ago, crenca said:

On Roon's own forum it is evident that a great many of their customers (It appears to be a majority) would not even bother with Roon if not for it being a front end to Tidal/Qobuz.  Why is a player/service like Roon, which is all about end user search/curating, so "dumb" when it comes to its format and streaming?

There's a scarier question here: "what does it say of Tidal / Qobuz if their UI is so bad that customers have to pay an extra $10 a month to have something workable ?"

55 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

There's a scarier question here: "what does it say of Tidal / Qobuz if their UI is so bad that customers have to pay an extra $10 a month to have something workable ?"

Tidal and Qobuz' UIs are reasonable.  Roon is a luxury UI, where you can, for instance, bring up all the albums in Tidal or Qobuz that have a certain bass player or session guitarist on them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

I have Roon but I'm really liking the Tidal app these days.

Tidal's "suggested new albums" and "suggested new tracks" is starting to work really well for me, for recommendations based on artists I follow, listening habits and tracks I add to my playlists.