IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

58 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Finally, on a more non-technical note, Lee is on record repeatedly, here and in multiple venues, saying that a key benefit of MQA is that it is an "ecosystem." And MQA's own reps are on record saying even more pointedly that the benefit for the record labels is that they don't have to "give away their Crown Jewels" if they securely wrap up the high-res PCM in MQA. More than this, Lee regularly has used this "business case" for MQA as a diversion in response to the technical objections about MQA's lossiness and DRM. So after all that extolling of MQA based precisely on MQA's aspirations to replace and supplant conventional PCM in the high-res marketplace, it is disingenuous for him to now say there's no danger of that happening.

A few corrections:

• I build ecosystems for my day job so I like talking about this aspect for that reason.  I see what the MQA team is doing there to be clever and nuanced.  As I mentioned before, the key financially is to get a major streaming service on board.  What I have felt is clever is to piggyback this better audio on a mainstream access point as prior attempts to focus only on the audiophile segment didn't really work well.
  • The avoidance of "giving away the crown jewels" point makes sense as the labels are a key participant in the ecosystem and if this gets them on board then the chances of wider adoption increases.  But we are not even seeing this slowdown the release of hirez material at all.  Even the sacred and previously hirez-stingy Beatles are releasing tons of content now.
  • There is no value in debating the technical pros/cons of MQA as everyone here is already dug in on their opinion.  
  • As for DRM, there is not one single example of it being utilized.

Now as for hirez sampling rates having value, I find that pretty basic.  Anyone with decent experience doing recordings understands the sonic improvements in moving from 24/48 to 24/95 or 24/192.

15 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I doubt you have the math or experience to evaluate MQA, especially as the only way to do so is by looking at the results and working backwards.

15 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I wish you well, but doing bad things like you are doing will inevitably lead to unpleasant consequences.  That isn't a threat by the way, just a prediction. 

Welcome to my Ignored members list Mr. (self proclaimed) Highbrow/know-it-all, you are too clever.

Victory lap, pat yourself on the back, you really are a higher authority of some sort, what with all of the very compelling proof you've been providing?

I heard Lee is also good at math some pages back, also self-proclaimed curiously enough.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

I just find it remarkable at how much energy is thrown into this MQA stuff - it's an irrelevant blip in the audio timeline, Just Another Method to try and make people's playback "sound better" - by foolin' around around with the source end. IME, the reproduction chain is where the real action is - why concern oneself with trying to compensate for lack of integrity in the reproduction mechanism by 'pre-distorting' the material, when the smart move is to make the system that presents the sound work better.

I think you need both: 1.  a good playback chain and 2. good source material.  Stuart came up with a clever way to improve the source material.

Just now, mansr said:

I suspect there is a market for selling dormant but "established" forum accounts to shill farms. I am also starting to suspect that Paul R has sold his in this manner. It is the most logical explanation for the behaviour seen recently.

Seriously, has he had medical issues recently?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

39 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I think you need both: 1.  a good playback chain and 2. good source material.  Stuart came up with a clever way to improve the source material.

Yes, good source material always helps. But the question arises as to what "improving" means - I have a CD of Glenn Miller tracks, some of which have had "professional" noise reduction applied to them; guess which are the least interesting, the most sounding like a kitchen radio quality about them ? Yes, they are "nice and quiet" - but they also sound very mundane compared to the others; the vitality and oomph has been sucked out of them ...

My take is that the options for "improving the material" should be left to the consumer - if he wants to add tone controls, and DSP to "make it nicer" he has full range in what he can do - for others, just leave the raw material completely untouched, apart from fixing clear technical faults.

11 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

There is indeed value in debating the technical pros and cons of MQA, because it's not actually a matter of people's opinion - rather, it's a matter of demonstrably provable facts, which some folks acknowledge and others refuse to acknowledge. Of course folks do have opinions based on the interpretation of those facts. But the question of whether MQA includes lossy compression/encoding is not an opinion question, it's a factual one. And just as it took quite a long time to get you to admit that MQA does in fact include lossy compression, it remains worthwhile to educate others who might be confused by misleading equivocation and marketing, about the actual technical facts of MQA.

No one has presented any evidence there hat people can hear the alleged lossy part of MQA.  By this I mean, are there any peer-reviewed studies that show people could discriminate between a hirez file and the same encoded in MQA then unfolded?  If MQA is correct, then any loss would be part of the inaudible region so we shouldn't be able to hear it.  Then if the deblurring filters work, the end result of the MQA file should sound better.  Indeed that is what I hear on Peter's files.