IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, Paul R said:

Hi-Res Music is from the RIAA, is put on Music, and as far as I know, is only for North America. 

The new Hi-Res MUSIC logo (below), developed by 2B Communications Inc., was designed to identify those high resolution recordings that are available from digital music retailers in the U.S., Canada, and Europe for commercial downloads or streaming. The logo has been specifically designed to complement the Hi-Res AUDIO logo that is currently licensed by the Japan Audio Society for use on compatible consumer electronics devices.

https://www.riaa.com/high-resolution-audio-initiative-gets-major-boost-with-new-hi-res-music-logo-and-branding-materials-for-digital-retailers/

55 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Historically speaking, true high resolution has meant 24/88.2 or higher.

Well, in 1982, 16/44.1K was absolutely high resolution, and the promise was perfect sound forever. We all know how that worked out, but - there are still significant numbers of people today who will tell you that 16/44.1 is *it*, and it just doesn't get any better. Some people have the same opinion concerning vinyl. Or Reel to Reel tape.

As Chris pointed out, the skill of the person making the recording and mastering the final product seems to count a heck of a lot more than actual resolution, or technique, or equipment, or even the software. My personal opinion is that technically, the best sounding recordings of the past few years came from 24/192K recordings. Such as the title from Soundkeeper Recordings below. If it were only available in MQA, I would buy it without any hesitation at all. 

Today, I would possibly say DSD/DXD recordings technically have the best sound. So to me, that is probably the bar for "high resolution." 

It's kind of an individual thing though. The "best sounding recordings" to me are more often good recordings of music I really love, and I don't care all that much about the format. Well, except I will choose the format that sounds the best to me in regards to an individual recording, be it MP3 or Quad DSD. 

-Paul 

1133079258_ScreenShot2019-02-19at3_35_53PM.thumb.png.9cb6c85f6c29990b061bf0880b700233.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

56 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

The new Hi-Res MUSIC logo (below), developed by 2B Communications Inc., was designed to identify those high resolution recordings that are available from digital music retailers in the U.S., Canada, and Europe for commercial downloads or streaming. The logo has been specifically designed to complement the Hi-Res AUDIO logo that is currently licensed by the Japan Audio Society for use on compatible consumer electronics devices.

https://www.riaa.com/high-resolution-audio-initiative-gets-major-boost-with-new-hi-res-music-logo-and-branding-materials-for-digital-retailers/

That is the one I was referring to, from 2015. It specifies 20/48K as the bar for "Hi-Res Music." I do not think they have updated it in the intervening four years. 

Yours,

Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

3 hours ago, mansr said:

This is what you said:

If that's not implying that Pro Tools can't do high-res, I don't know what would, nor what you could possibly be intending to say. Perhaps you should just put that shovel down before the hole you're in gets any deeper.

Typo on my part. It should say "midrez on Pro Tools."  

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

Well, in 1982, 16/44.1K was absolutely high resolution, and the promise was perfect sound forever. We all know how that worked out, but - there are still significant numbers of people today who will tell you that 16/44.1 is *it*, and it just doesn't get any better. Some people have the same opinion concerning vinyl. Or Reel to Reel tape.

As Chris pointed out, the skill of the person making the recording and mastering the final product seems to count a heck of a lot more than actual resolution, or technique, or equipment, or even the software. My personal opinion is that technically, the best sounding recordings of the past few years came from 24/192K recordings. Such as the title from Soundkeeper Recordings below. If it were only available in MQA, I would buy it without any hesitation at all. 

Today, I would possibly say DSD/DXD recordings technically have the best sound. So to me, that is probably the bar for "high resolution." 

It's kind of an individual thing though. The "best sounding recordings" to me are more often good recordings of music I really love, and I don't care all that much about the format. Well, except I will choose the format that sounds the best to me in regards to an individual recording, be it MP3 or Quad DSD. 

-Paul 

1133079258_ScreenShot2019-02-19at3_35_53PM.thumb.png.9cb6c85f6c29990b061bf0880b700233.png

When we were doing the early dvd-audio recordings at Chesky in the mid-90s, 24/88 was considered hirez and it was really 24/96 back then and you only had Chesky's ironically-named "Super Audio Discs" and Classic Records "DAD" discs that would play on existing DVD players to output a 24/96 signal.

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

I don't see how 16/44.1 can be compared to vinyl or reel-to-reel when it comes to fidelity.  You are conflating inferior audio formats to rational people with a format that can be audibly transparent for playback of the recording.  You can't get better than transparent, but that does not mean that every Redbook product was made without flaws, only that there is no reason to believe it could not sound identical to any supposedly superior HiRes format.

5 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

A vinyl record can hold a 50khz signal which translates to 100khz sampling rate.  So vinyl is roughly around DVD-Audio quality which is what I usually hear as well.  Reel to reel is higher fidelity at 15 ips and still higher at 30 ips.  Analog tape is capable of truly outstanding fidelity.  

Redbook can sound great with a great recording and a great mastering.  But given the same recording on hirez and great mastering it will sound better still.

Why would any human care about 50kHz or 100kHz?  I have not seen any reliable evidence to suggest what you claim about HiRes being better.   I did say rational people, my bad.

Just now, Sonicularity said:

Why would any human care about 50kHz or 100kHz?  I have not seen any reliable evidence to suggest what you claim about HiRes being better.   I did say rational people, my bad.

There are several AES studies that found people could hear the improvements of hirez music.  The sonic advantages are pretty obvious to me.

48 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

I don't see how 16/44.1 can be compared to vinyl or reel-to-reel when it comes to fidelity.  You are conflating inferior audio formats to rational people with a format that can be audibly transparent for playback of the recording.  You can't get better than transparent, but that does not mean that every Redbook product was made without flaws, only that there is no reason to believe it could not sound identical to any supposedly superior HiRes format.

Lee answered that very well I think.  So, you are one of those people who believe Redbook format is *it*?

Great example. :)

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

13 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Lee answered that very well I think.  So, you are one of those people who believe Redbook format is *it*?

Great example. :)

-Paul 

I hope that it is not it.  I don't think we will get anything for stereo playback with music released to date that would sound superior.  As a format, it is not as practical today.  It is capable of being audibly transparent.

That is a heck of an interesting paper - especially the rates that audio lovers and musicians identified high resolution audio against CD. I would love to see that same testing repeated on a larger scale, and with a control group. :)

The headphone amplifier is also really interesting, as it seems aimed more at exact level matching and reproducibility than anything else. I hope Dennis takes a look at that thing... 

Brüel & Kjær ZE0769-004

(And with MQA thrown in the mix. :) )

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein