IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

13 hours ago, Paul R said:

My personal opinion is that technically, the best sounding recordings of the past few years came from 24/192K recordings. Such as the title from Soundkeeper Recordings below. If it were only available in MQA, I would buy it without any hesitation at all. 

That seems like saying if only this CD were available in MP3, I would buy it without any hesitation at all.

Sure, unlike MP3, you can’t do the exact MQA encode yourself, but load it into a DAW and you can perform all manner of lossy processing to your heart’s desire!

3 hours ago, Hifi Bob said:

That seems like saying if only this CD were available in MP3, I would buy it without any hesitation at all.

Sure, unlike MP3, you can’t do the exact MQA encode yourself, but load it into a DAW and you can perform all manner of lossy processing to your heart’s desire!

Poor wording on my part - of course what I meant was what I said,  but another, perhaps better way of saying that is this.  

If the music had been published in no other form save for MQA, I would still purchase it. The music is that good in my opinion. 

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

9 hours ago, Paul R said:

Like I said, you are not putting out anything new.

But you have with a vague reference to supposedly having heard of a "couple instances where people claimed" complete 24/96 restoration?

Of course if one has the correct software and hardware implementation only. Otherwise it's FOMO, and that's the intended takeaway I suppose, rush out and buy a Mytek or Pro-Ject or iFi DAC so that you can hear this wonderful 24/96 complete reconstruction for yourself, complete with the added bonus of that all-elusive time domain correction.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

4 hours ago, mansr said:

MQA tries to preserve as much as possible up to 24/96. However, it is mathematically impossible for it to be lossless in all cases, not even if limited to 16-bit precision. With many typical recordings, it is probably possible for it to get quite close to 16/96. That's after the first "core" decoding, which is available in some software players. The hardware-only "rendering" stage actually makes things worse again.

That makes sense, I think. The issue, of course, seems to be with filters?  

The iFi iDSD Micro and my old Meridian-2 are quite different with the same MQA files. I mean the output is audibly and measurably different, more so than I would expect. I expected the difference in MQA files between different DACs to be less than the difference between PCM files, but it is actually greater, I think. Is that in accord with what other folks are seeing?

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I propose that this statement is assigned the medal for stating the bleeding obvious.

People converting to other formats aside, if the only format was MQA, then people would have to use the format to listen to music...

Well I thought it was pretty obvious, but it did have to be explained for some reason. 

That MQA will never be the only digital format is just as obvious I would think.  Regardless of how much it is or is not accepted by the labels.

Tidal was MQA’s  great hope for dominance, and that is not working out all that well for them. The auto industry is their next hope, same as it was for sat radio.

We do live in interesting times.

Robert A. Heinlein

10 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Well I thought it was pretty obvious, but it did have to be explained for some reason. 

That MQA will never be the only digital format is just as obvious I would think.  Regardless of how much it is or is not accepted by the labels.

Tidal was MQA’s  great hope for dominance, and that is not working out all that well for them. The auto industry is their next hope, same as it was for sat radio.

We do live in interesting times.

In my opinion, the streaming services are the best hope for MQA due to the volume of customers and how royalties can be arranged.  If MQA catches hold with one of those then adoption would become wider and likely create a more viable business.

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

Lee, you have a history (well OK, one example - LHL crowdfunding) of being oblivious to the dangers others point out in the financial machinations of the audio and music industry.  The danger here is the potential to rather easily cut off the supply of non-MQA RedBook and hi res for those of us who prefer it.

I still mostly buy the music that I like, either CD or hi-res downloads, but MQA exclusivity would be the nail in the coffin for me. I would just switch to streaming if the titles I wanted were only available in MQA. Perhaps that's what the music labels want, but I'm already paying for Tidal AND buying CDs and downloads.