IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

11 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I'm still early in the process of really understanding the various filters in HQP, but if you have a Chord DAC and don't have a Hugo mScaler or Blu2 and want a sneak peek at what it would sound like, I suggest the following: PCM only, auto family, sinc-M filter, no dither, 768k sampling limit as a pretty damn good starting point. poly-sinc-long-lp was also quite good (and I prefered it on initial listen), but I preferred sinc-M after extended listening.

In general, if you want to mimic the HMS sound, stick with linear phase filters (timing accuracy), disable volume adjustments in HQP (let the DAC handle that), do as much in PCM land as you can (Rob's DACs play nicer with PCM than DSD, also a LOT less CPU load to upsample), target 768k as max sample rate (assuming you have a Chord DAC that can accept that rate on USB...basically everything newer than the TT), and use auto-family to restrict to powers of 2 upsampling.

I find HQP excellent, but not quite where HMS is.  It is an open question whether more taps in the filter (any chance for a sinc-2M PCM filter @Miska? I'd be delighted to beta test!), more precision in the filter coefficients (no idea what precision HQP uses...Rob has claimed 16 bit precision in his sinc coefficients), or some magic in the noise shaping (this is the most opaque part of the pipeline for me, with the most secret sauce) is the remaining gap.  

For now, I would characterize both of them as excellent, with the edge to HMS.  With updated filters (or better understanding of how to optimize the filters in my chain), things are danger close.  Jussi is to be congratulated for a remarkable product, and an extraordinarily generous full feature free 30 minute trial mode.

Very nice description of HQP @ray-dude, have you had a chance to test the EC modulators with DSD256?  In my system, I prefer them slightly more, but certainly your suggested PCM only, auto family, sinc-M filter, no dither, 768k sampling is very likable as well.  On a side note, when upsampled to PCM1536, SQ elevate to another notch, however, I don't have the luxury to compare with Chord DAC as you do.

P.S. I have a Mojo, but I don't use it. At the moment I use poly-sinc-ext2 filter and ASDM7EC modulator to DSD256 output to Holo Audio DACs (set to NOS) and RME ADI-2 Pro (set to DSD Direct). I also use the EVGA NU Audio card at DSD256 with same settings - very good performer and doesn't cost much!

P.P.S. I've been also playing somewhat with Playback Designs Merlot DAC, which is supposed to finally land in the living room system when I get my new equipment rack in use. (the rack took almost six months from order to delivery!)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Out of curiosity, I tried this too. I agree with all 3 snippets above from Ray's post.

Considering the cost difference, this is why I use an R2R DAC with HQPlayer.  I've had a DAVE in my house, but without the mscaler.  The difference is slight, and If budget wasn't an issue it's the Chord but YMMV.  HQPlayer also allows for a significant amount of flexibility with its library of filters among other settings which can further tune a sound.  Non R2R DACs will apply a single filter and WYHIWYG.  In the case of the DAVE it's a very very good thing.

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm currently using a Hakai build of digital streamer from the Lejonklou site (https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4272).  This uses Gigabyte ITX motherboards which sound great, as does the whole Hakai build.  However the motherboards lack PCI Express capabilities - they have an M.2 2230 socket designated for Wi-Fi (there seems to be no adapter to allow the use of PCIe). There are Antipodean websites (e.g. https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/82802-building-the-idealish-music-server/page/200/) that recommend using Jetway NF9C-2800 motherboards.  Does anyone have recent experience of a mini ITX motherboard that sounds great but has PCIe?

I want to carry on using Linux software for digital streaming but make use of a PCIe noise filter such as the Elfidelity USB Filter. There are many computer audio forums and I am trying to find the best parts of each in an attempt to further improve my current system and enjoy the music more!

29 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

This ASRock EPC621D6I could be such an enticing Mini-ITX option with LGA 3647 and 6 SO-DIMM slots for ECC DDR4 RAM

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC621D6I

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-epc621d4i-2m-motherboard-review/asrock-rack-epc621d6i-block-diagram/

Ideal candidate for 10-core Xeon Silver? Though the VRM part ain't necessarily all that hot due to space constraints.

Thanks for the suggestion. My preference for these motherboards is relatively low processing power, integrated processor (Celeron, Atom etc.).

5 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

This ASRock EPC621D6I could be such an enticing Mini-ITX option with LGA 3647 and 6 SO-DIMM slots for ECC DDR4 RAM

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC621D6I

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-epc621d4i-2m-motherboard-review/asrock-rack-epc621d6i-block-diagram/

Ideal candidate for 10-core Xeon Silver? Though the VRM part ain't necessarily all that hot due to space constraints.

Looks like a very capable board. It might take a bit of care to find a fanless case for it due to the placement of the two groups of memory slots.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

Looks like a very capable board. It might take a bit of care to find a fanless case for it due to the placement of the two groups of memory slots.

They do have a similar version with two M.2 slots replacing a pair of SODIMM slots, though we're losing the advantage of six-channel memory with Xeon Scalable

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC621D4I-2M

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-epc621d4i-2m-intel-xeon-scalable-processors/p/N82E16813140032

Quite a bit cheaper in China

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=599171457411

Linking two identical fanless systems together could be an interesting setup since the endpoint is having a much lower CPU utilization, no room for unnecessary ports and that could be a plus.

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Nice. There's a good chance I will be at AXPONA this year. Can you arrange for no snow this time, John? 2 years in a row is enough for me. :)

We can promise you weather.  We can promise you confusion.  We can guarantee that the sun will rise, but not if you can see it!

Snow is what is called an Unexpected Highlight to your visit.   I started a thread already....

2 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

I installed the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX converter that arrive today in my low-footprint audio PC. It only uses the first DC-in for 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EPS. (SATA is de-activated in this PC.)

The sound difference is immediate. A much broader spectrum with more dynamics. Alas also more strident (irritants), so I hope that breaking it in for a week or so will make a difference. 

Good to know it is making such a positive impact.  What do you use to feed the DC-ATX converter?

23 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Currently SBooster BOTW ECO 19V, but I ordered an SR4. (The 800W replaced a HDPlex 250W DC-ATX.)

Sounds like your system is "relatively" low power as SR4 has a maximum output current at 2A.  I am also considering this same converter, but my newly built server will need a bit more current to run upsampling from HQPlayer, so I am still on the hunt for a suitable LPS.

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I installed the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX converter that arrive today in my low-footprint audio PC. It only uses the first DC-in for 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EPS. (SATA is de-activated in this PC.)

The sound difference is immediate. A much broader spectrum with more dynamics. Alas also more strident (irritants), so I hope that breaking it in for a week or so will make a difference. 

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Sounds like your system is "relatively" low power as SR4 has a maximum output current at 2A.  I am also considering this same converter, but my newly built server will need a bit more current to run upsampling from HQPlayer, so I am still on the hunt for a suitable LPS.

I'm pleasantly surprised the Sbooster, with its 2A capacity was able to supply the inrush current demand of the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX converter. I know Larry had reduced the inrush on the latest 400W DC-ATX, but was not sure about the 800W unit. Good to know!

Yes, breaking it in will definitely help with the stridency.

I just got my 800W DC-ATX and will be powering it with an HDPlex 400W LPS.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Indeed, here even the SBooster works flawless with the audio PC, although it delivers only 1.85A. But it just has to power the Supermicro mobo with 8GB ECC RAM, a 35W TDP i3 CPU, m.2 optane drive and a fiber network card. No SATA.

I guess the HDPlex only draws what it needs based on this.

The heavy lifting (HQPlayer DSD256 EC7) is done by a server with i7 9700K.

audio system

6 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I think it depends on the board and the CPU. I had a Keces P8 with 19V / 4A on the motherboard rail and had to press the power button twice before the system booted.

The system only boots immediately with a second Keces P8 with 19V / 8A. Fantastic!

Here is more information.

From the diag are u using one PS to drive the MB and another one to drive the CPU, all via the 800W ATX ?