IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 hours ago, RickyV said:

Wow Rajiv very useful post, as always. I have to read it again when I get home.

I was wondering did you consideredthe dCS Bartok instead of the HMS+Dave combo?

I never got a chance to compare them head to head, but honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. At that level, it comes down to personal preference, so you have to hear them for yourself. In my case, I already had an HMS and a fantastic upstream chain, so the DAVE slotted into my system very well.

6 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Could someone explain what are the options to power the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX adapter?

s it possible to use a conventional (nonlinear) PC power supply to do this? Such as my Seasonic 400W fanless platinum PSU?

Rick is spot on. 👇

5 hours ago, rickca said:

Conventional ATX power supplies don't have a 19V output required to power the DC-ATX.

5 hours ago, rickca said:

Does this mean in your system the power quality/capacity provided for the switch and tX-USBultra is more critical than that provided for the server, or can you not draw that conclusion from your A vs B comparison?

It certainly seems that way, but I suspect this is highly system dependent. It's a function of all the other power supplies in the chain. 

Yesterday I replaced the RAM in my AudioLinux server with HQPlayer embedded with 2x 8GB Apacer DDR4 RAM 2666 (non-ECC). I was sceptical at first. Earlier I compared ECC with non-ECC in my audio pc (endpoint with NAA), and I could not hear the difference. However this time the improvement was immediate and not trivial, which I did not expect for the optically isolated server PC.

Then, today I noticed that the server only 'sees' 1x 8GB of RAM. It appeared I did not sufficiently tighten the second module. After doing so, 2x 8GB appeared. However, with two modules the sound was a little less open and musical. So now I run it with 1x 8B, thanking myself for my mistake 🙂

Anyone noticed such a difference?

audio system

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

PSU Update

As I posted a few weeks ago, I needed to experiment where in my system the 3 DR rails of my new Paul Hynes SR-7 PSU had the biggest impact. I've now completed a full round of comparisons and settled on locations. To illustrate the experiment, here is a picture of my latest system topology:

Audio topology - November 2019 baseline.png

The experiment was to decide where to put 2 of my SR-7 DR rails, with the 3rd 15V/6A DR rail powering my HMS. The choices were the blue and red circles in the picture.

1. Powering my server (red combo)
    • SR-7 19V/10A DR rail > HDPlex DC-ATX adapter > ATX on the mobo
    • SR-7 12V/6A DR rail > EPS (CPU) on mobo
    • JCAT Net card now bus powered
    • Switch and tX-USBultra powered by 12V/3A SR7 SR rails

2. Powering the switch and tX (blue combo)
    • HDPlex 400W ATX LPS powering the server
      • ATX output > ATX on mobo
      • separate 12V/7A rail (modded from the stock 19V XLR output) > EPS on mobo
    • SR-4 5V/2A > JCAT Net Card Femto
    • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > sNH-10G switch
    • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > tX-USBultra

Result: While this was not a trivial swap, and took some time to switch from the red to the blue combo and back, the end result was that I found the blue combo, i.e. DR rails on the switch and tX-USBultra, to sound better. So for now, I am keeping my HDPlex 400W Linear ATX supply.

Corollary: I was able to borrow @limniscate's SR7MR2DRXL for a few days, and constructed an all-SR7DR super combo chain:

• SR-7 19V/10A DR rail > HDPlex DC-ATX adapter > ATX on the mobo
  • SR-7 12V/6A DR rail > EPS (CPU) on mobo
  • JCAT Net card now bus powered
  • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > sNH-10G switch
  • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > tX-USBultra

This super-combo just smokes both the red and blue combos! I have a hard time even articulating how good this sounds. The HDPlex Linear ATX supply is already very good, but using the SR-7 to power the server just takes it to another level. SQ improves across the board, in dynamics, transparency, bass articulation, tonality and imaging. I finally got to hear what @romaz has been raving about, and it is truly something! I know the current buzz is about the impossibly expensive (for me) SGM Extreme, but I really have to wonder just how much better the Extreme or Innuos Statement can be over my custom server powered by SR-7 DR rails. Maybe in the not too distant future, we'll be able to find out.

I'm now on the hunt for another SR-7 MR2DRXL, so I'm waiting to see if a slot on Paul's custom build queue opens up.

Finally, here are some miscellaneous findings from these PSU experiments:

1. HDPlex's bigger, badder 800W DC-ATX adapter is a real SQ champ. It sounds significantly better than the 400W DC-ATX adapter. Thanks again to Roy for this tip. While it does take up more space, and really needs a bigger case than the HDPlex H3, it makes up for it in SQ. The other potential concern is inrush current, if you're trying to use it with a lower current rail. In my case, my 19V/10A rail didn't even break a sweat.
  2. PSU SQ is related to the current demand and capacity. By this I mean two things:
    • Just because a PSU "works" under a certain load does not mean it will sound its best
    • PSUs that have lower current capacity tend to underperform as the load approaches their capacity.
    • Several cases in point:
      • When powering the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ (a current-hungry application), I found the JS-2 to outperform the SR-4, even though in a lower-current application powering the tX-USBultra, the SR-4 outperformed the JS-2. Yes, the SR-4 "worked" in this application, but its nominal 2A sustained max current made it sound more constricted and polite than the JS-2
      • Similarly, when powering the Chord TT-2 with the Farad Super 3 and the SR4-15, the Farad's superior 3A current rating allowed it to sound better than the SR-4. Again, in a lower-current application powering the tX-USBultra, the SR-4 and Farad were neck and neck.
  3. Finding 2 is relevant to explain the results of another experiment I tried. Since I also have a 3-rail SR-7 SR, with 15v/5a, 15v/3a, and 15v/2a rails, I wondered if I could use an SR 12v/4a rail (derated current due to voltage reduction) to power my server's CPU via the EPS port. As it turned out, this did not outperform the EPS powered from the 12V/7A rail from the HDPlex. While the SR7 SR rail had some advantages in the form of tonality, refinement, and transparency, it lacked the dynamics of the HDPlex by quite a margin, which tilted the balance in the HDPlex's favor.
  4. When powering a music server, muscular current capacity matters in the PSU.

Great info, thanks Rajiv. 

This is how I've been running my system and fully agree with your findings. 

While the SR7 is the grail, would you consider a Farad in its place until you get a second or is it not worth it? Or do you need more amperage? 

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

The point about DC cabling is very valid. I also used Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 18AWG DC (JSSG360) cabling from Ghent:

Is JSSG360 Ghent Audio's model or is that a particular general DC cable?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Great info, thanks Rajiv. 

This is how I've been running my system and fully agree with your findings. 

While the SR7 is the grail, would you consider a Farad in its place until you get a second or is it not worth it? Or do you need more amperage? 

Hi John,

I have been giving this question a lot of thought. Clearly, massive current reserves seem to be a benefit when driving the CPU (via EPS), and I believe the same to be true for ATX. It really does seem that a music server's current demand is peaky, so a high current supply with tons of headroom has a distinct advantage. This is evidenced by my results with a SR7 SR 12v/4a rail being trumped by a beefier HDPlex 12v/7a rail.

You're right, 2x SR7 DR rails of 19V/10A and 12V/10A would be hard to beat, but are there some interesting options in the "obtainium" universe?

One that @romaz and I have discussed would be a strong candidate for a music server would be the standard SR-7 now being offered by Paul Hynes Design (PHD). One of the standard configurations is an SR7MR2 with 19V/10A and 12V/12A rails. That seems to be tailor made for this high quality AND high-current application.

The second option would be the upcoming Farad Super 12 supply with their own DC-ATX adapter. I'm not sure yet if Mattijs is ready to share anything publicly, but I know this is in the works.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I had Ghent custom quote me for these cables, as they are rather specialized. However, it's possible he subsequently put it up on his website, as I haven't checked there.

Well what do you know - he has it on his website:

1. ATX to ATX: http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/nt01.html
  2. Molex cables - this one, but with my specified connectors: http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/nt02.html

My two cents is,

We are trying to mimic smps with Linear power supplies so delivery of high current in an instant but with as low as noise as possible.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

10 hours ago, rickca said:

Conventional ATX power supplies don't have a 19V output required to power the DC-ATX.

Actually, it needs 16V DC or higher. (I’m nitpicking here of course since ATX PSU’s don’t supply anything over 12V 😉)

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

JCAT Net card now bus powered

I think you used bus power because of the SR7 powering the entire server but did you check the results in that config but still powering the JCAT Net with the SR4? I wouldn’t dare to predict what would be better to be honest. :)

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

The second option would be the upcoming Farad Super 12 supply with their own DC-ATX adapter. I'm not sure yet if Mattijs is ready to share anything publicly, but I know this is in the works.

Yes, this is what I'm waiting for.  Depending on how it gets reviewed.

Not sure if you're doing anymore DAC shootouts, but the new Holo May is about to be released.  I don't think you tried any R2R DACs but this one is supposed to be a next gen.

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Yes, this is what I'm waiting for.  Depending on how it gets reviewed.

Not sure if you're doing anymore DAC shootouts, but the new Holo May is about to be released.  I don't think you tried any R2R DACs but this one is supposed to be a next gen.

Any idea on the price and when it will be available? Thanks

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.