IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Sound Quality is a Corollary for Measured RF Energy - Part 1

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/blogs/news/measuring-rf-energy

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/collections/cables/products/opto-dx-optical-patch-cable

Increasing distance reduces measured radiated RF noise since it attenuates according to the square of the distance. Doubling the distance reduces the RF noise by a factor of 4x.

@dmance

Does it actually mean that we could really use very, VERY LONG optical patch cables until we're hitting some kinda law of diminishing returns? In other words, does it make sense to go beyond 10 meters?

Hi folks!

Does anyone knows if I can use the Apacer memory on an Innous Zen mkIII?

Thank you,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

FYI - current owners of Mutec REF10 might wanna keep an eye on upgrades

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&page=49#pid2976776

Mutec Ref10 SE-120 absolutely takes the already exceptional dCS Vivaldi Clock to a whole new level !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/reality-is-cruel-cybershaft-new-ultimate-ocxo-10m-clocks-shootout-op20-vs-op17.26610/page-8#post-612931

Knowing that the upgrade process may not be available readily, since it is logistically difficult and time consuming and costly to perform such upgrades

BTW, brand new units are available for 42,500 RMB

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=569160752500

KRegto9.jpg

0pTv5FH.jpg

On 9/17/2019 at 2:08 AM, Nenon said:

To me, getting I2s from the PCIe slot on the computer is the best way to extract digital audio from the source to my DAC. Given that most DACs don't reclock the I2s signal, it is important to have a good clock at the source. This is where the PinkFaun Ultra OCXO makes a good audible difference. Once you extract the digital bits from your computer, the main thing we need to worry about it is preserving that clock signal over cables to your DAC.

Not trying to "spam" this thread with so many replies in a row but this particular one below looked quite intriguing to me

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/12/pink-faun-streamer-216x-review.html

The PSU is low-noise, the clocks also, this results in fewer mistakes made by the processor because there's less noise. So the PSU and ULTRA clocks make sure the latency is even lower than with the standard clocks on the motherboard. It's even measurable when the streamer is equipped with ULTRA OCXOs or not. The load on the processor is around 0.2% with the ULTRA clock, with the standard motherboard clock the load on the processor is around 2%

Let's wait and see how this guy would perform in the future

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/c5-signature-ultra-low-jitter-clock-4461-p.asp

9 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Interesting, although for me I would much rather see an improved version of the MC3+USB (without SMPS) than a slightly lower phase noise version of a very low phase noise clock.  Depends on how you are using it I guess.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

My pleasure, most likely the same Apacer RAM should also work for ZENith Mk.II (SE) with Celeron J3455 as well as Statement with Celeron N4200. Pretty much all of us should have tried DDR4 ones before and that's why it would be great to find out if older DDR3 ones were just as good or otherwise.

Please don't forget to let us know how it's working out because other owners of Innuos music servers will most likely join the party, they won't be left out even though DDR4 SODIMM ain't supported by their motherboards.

On 12/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, seeteeyou said:

My pleasure, most likely the same Apacer RAM should also work for ZENith Mk.II (SE) with Celeron J3455 as well as Statement with Celeron N4200. Pretty much all of us should have tried DDR4 ones before and that's why it would be great to find out if older DDR3 ones were just as good or otherwise.

Please don't forget to let us know how it's working out because other owners of Innuos music servers will most likely join the party, they won't be left out even though DDR4 SODIMM ain't supported by their motherboards.

Well, know that I saw the prices (250$) I will probably not try it after all, as to start I am not sure what will be the result... 😞

The link you provide with a lower price (https://www.rutronik24.com/product/apacer/75.c93e2.g040b/8434061.html) only sell to companies.

Is there a way to circumvent this limitation?

Thank you,

Jorge 

On 12/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, seeteeyou said:

Let's wait and see how this guy would perform in the future

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/c5-signature-ultra-low-jitter-clock-4461-p.asp

The PCB layout shown is horrible, it looks like its been autorouted, something that is not done these days... The track coming out of C20 is a prime example, it also looks like a basic 2 layer board... Not the best for a critical design such as a clock...

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

PSU Update

As I posted a few weeks ago, I needed to experiment where in my system the 3 DR rails of my new Paul Hynes SR-7 PSU had the biggest impact. I've now completed a full round of comparisons and settled on locations. To illustrate the experiment, here is a picture of my latest system topology:

Audio topology - November 2019 baseline.png

The experiment was to decide where to put 2 of my SR-7 DR rails, with the 3rd 15V/6A DR rail powering my HMS. The choices were the blue and red circles in the picture.

1. Powering my server (red combo)
    • SR-7 19V/10A DR rail > HDPlex DC-ATX adapter > ATX on the mobo
    • SR-7 12V/6A DR rail > EPS (CPU) on mobo
    • JCAT Net card now bus powered
    • Switch and tX-USBultra powered by 12V/3A SR7 SR rails

2. Powering the switch and tX (blue combo)
    • HDPlex 400W ATX LPS powering the server
      • ATX output > ATX on mobo
      • separate 12V/7A rail (modded from the stock 19V XLR output) > EPS on mobo
    • SR-4 5V/2A > JCAT Net Card Femto
    • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > sNH-10G switch
    • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > tX-USBultra

Result: While this was not a trivial swap, and took some time to switch from the red to the blue combo and back, the end result was that I found the blue combo, i.e. DR rails on the switch and tX-USBultra, to sound better. So for now, I am keeping my HDPlex 400W Linear ATX supply.

Corollary: I was able to borrow @limniscate's SR7MR2DRXL for a few days, and constructed an all-SR7DR super combo chain:

• SR-7 19V/10A DR rail > HDPlex DC-ATX adapter > ATX on the mobo
  • SR-7 12V/6A DR rail > EPS (CPU) on mobo
  • JCAT Net card now bus powered
  • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > sNH-10G switch
  • SR-7 12V/6a DR rail > tX-USBultra

This super-combo just smokes both the red and blue combos! I have a hard time even articulating how good this sounds. The HDPlex Linear ATX supply is already very good, but using the SR-7 to power the server just takes it to another level. SQ improves across the board, in dynamics, transparency, bass articulation, tonality and imaging. I finally got to hear what @romaz has been raving about, and it is truly something! I know the current buzz is about the impossibly expensive (for me) SGM Extreme, but I really have to wonder just how much better the Extreme or Innuos Statement can be over my custom server powered by SR-7 DR rails. Maybe in the not too distant future, we'll be able to find out.

I'm now on the hunt for another SR-7 MR2DRXL, so I'm waiting to see if a slot on Paul's custom build queue opens up.

Finally, here are some miscellaneous findings from these PSU experiments:

1. HDPlex's bigger, badder 800W DC-ATX adapter is a real SQ champ. It sounds significantly better than the 400W DC-ATX adapter. Thanks again to Roy for this tip. While it does take up more space, and really needs a bigger case than the HDPlex H3, it makes up for it in SQ. The other potential concern is inrush current, if you're trying to use it with a lower current rail. In my case, my 19V/10A rail didn't even break a sweat.
  2. PSU SQ is related to the current demand and capacity. By this I mean two things:
    • Just because a PSU "works" under a certain load does not mean it will sound its best
    • PSUs that have lower current capacity tend to underperform as the load approaches their capacity.
    • Several cases in point:
      • When powering the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ (a current-hungry application), I found the JS-2 to outperform the SR-4, even though in a lower-current application powering the tX-USBultra, the SR-4 outperformed the JS-2. Yes, the SR-4 "worked" in this application, but its nominal 2A sustained max current made it sound more constricted and polite than the JS-2
      • Similarly, when powering the Chord TT-2 with the Farad Super 3 and the SR4-15, the Farad's superior 3A current rating allowed it to sound better than the SR-4. Again, in a lower-current application powering the tX-USBultra, the SR-4 and Farad were neck and neck.
  3. Finding 2 is relevant to explain the results of another experiment I tried. Since I also have a 3-rail SR-7 SR, with 15v/5a, 15v/3a, and 15v/2a rails, I wondered if I could use an SR 12v/4a rail (derated current due to voltage reduction) to power my server's CPU via the EPS port. As it turned out, this did not outperform the EPS powered from the 12V/7A rail from the HDPlex. While the SR7 SR rail had some advantages in the form of tonality, refinement, and transparency, it lacked the dynamics of the HDPlex by quite a margin, which tilted the balance in the HDPlex's favor.
  4. When powering a music server, muscular current capacity matters in the PSU.

Wow Rajiv very useful post, as always. I have to read it again when I get home.

I was wondering did you consideredthe dCS Bartok instead of the HMS+Dave combo?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 hours ago, austinpop said:
  1. HDPlex's bigger, badder 800W DC-ATX adapter is a real SQ champ. It sounds significantly better than the 400W DC-ATX adapter. Thanks again to Roy for this tip. While it does take up more space, and really needs a bigger case than the HDPlex H3, it makes up for it in SQ. The other potential concern is inrush current, if you're trying to use it with a lower current rail. In my case, my 19V/10A rail didn't even break a sweat.

Could someone explain what are the options to power the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX adapter?

s it possible to use a conventional (nonlinear) PC power supply to do this? Such as my Seasonic 400W fanless platinum PSU?

audio system

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

a lower-current application powering the tX-USBultra

What applications are you comparing?  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

HDPlex's bigger, badder 800W DC-ATX adapter is a real SQ champ.

How did you power this?  Doesn't it require two 6-pin 19V inputs?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

Could someone explain what are the options to power the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX adapter?

s it possible to use a conventional (nonlinear) PC power supply to do this? Such as my Seasonic 400W fanless platinum PSU?

Conventional ATX power supplies don't have a 19V output required to power the DC-ATX.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

I found the blue combo, i.e. DR rails on the switch and tX-USBultra, to sound better.

Does this mean in your system the power quality/capacity provided for the switch and tX-USBultra is more critical than that provided for the server, or can you not draw that conclusion from your A vs B comparison?