IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Yes install DX filter :

Router to mac mini

Mac mini to ER 

The Bridge connection is agnostic to the DX filter. Mac mini IMHO is on par with a router as far as noise produced is concerned. 

Even with the fully Uptoned-mods of fore?

BTW, which of the above links is the DX to go with? The PLUS-2 or PLUS10?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

So is the DX filter system more effective in reducing RF EMI than ordinary audiophile ethernetcables? 

I have seen such filters during the years and in most cases it may have an effect of lowering the noisefloor but tend to suck the life of music. Like when using Dolby noisereduction in the time of cassettes? 

Some years ago I bought EMO 70 and EMO 60 but in the end I removed them. 

Since they are cheap it could be worth trying though. Can you folks who have tried DX system explain more about its SQ benefits.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

35 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

cleaner, clearer, more air, tighter, more focus.

no.  John Swenson and "One and a Half" both recommended not to do so.

Thank you,  I also took the plunge and ordered a set. 

I followed Martins advice to buy the cheap chinese external clock and after that the Afterdark queen square wave. THIS was a huge upgrade very much recommended. Maybe this DX set will do little and hopefully not reduce life and dynamics.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

My 5 pairs just arrived. The unit is smaller than I expected. 

Doesn’t make any difference in my system at all. It could be that my Sotm Ethernet cables are already filtered? Will burn for for a few days and try again. I’m not currently using the EtherRegen. 

3 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

no.  John Swenson and "One and a Half" both recommended not to do so.

You found it made a large difference used the ‘right way’. Aren’t you curious when it’s used the ‘wrong way’ ..? 😉

10 minutes ago, James Stephens said:

Ok here it is folks .. the ultimate anti-vibration shelf for my ER + AfterDark Clock + 2 x LPS 1.2's:

18" x 11" x 1" Granite

4x Herbies Giant Fot Dots

18" x 11" x 1.5" Walnut 

4x Iso Acoustics Gaia III Feet

Shelf weighs a little under 30 lbs (granite approx. 20 lbs and walnut approx. 7 lbs).

Feel free to laugh, or cry .. or hopefully in some cases be at least at little impressed?

Best,

James

0514210824.jpg

0514210825_HDR.jpg

0514210912c_HDR.jpg

And I thought I was crazy? ;-)

7 hours ago, flkin said:

My 5 pairs just arrived. The unit is smaller than I expected. 

Doesn’t make any difference in my system at all. It could be that my Sotm Ethernet cables are already filtered? Will burn for for a few days and try again. I’m not currently using the EtherRegen. 

You found it made a large difference used the ‘right way’. Aren’t you curious when it’s used the ‘wrong way’ ..? 😉

When not using the EtherRegen,  the sound was not good, that's with CAT5e cabling. The DX is complementary with the ER the combo has very good benefits for SQ.

I don't know the SOTM cable, if it's shielded, I would not use the EtherRegen with them,  the shield affects the soundstage and adds treble distortion. 

When returning home in a few weeks I will try and replace the short supplied cable with UTP, see what happens there.

It's possible to use STP, but the bonding cable from source to receiver is ten's of metres away, so not practical to do so.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, PYP said:

Using the same installation:  one DX filter after the ISP-provided modem/router/wifi unit and one before the oM.  I always assume everything inserted into a setup needs time to settle in for a week, but with less than one day the little emi/rfi filters are working well with the oM and eRs.  Translation:  more natural and greater depth.  

I love these $50 experiments (last one was the mini-circuits filter for clock connection).  Thank you @One and a half .  Interesting to try stuff that comes from outside the audiophile world.   

Oh blame me then 😀

Just wondering if the DX filter had an 'audiophile equivalent ' the price could be 5 times over, but fortunately has not occurred, but give it some time....

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 5/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, JohnSwenson said:

For all of your with Aurender issues with an ER here are a couple things to look into.

I have probably 20 linux based endpoints and don't have this issue, so I don't think it is a general linux issue.

One thing to try is to make sure the entire network system including the ER is powered up and running before turning on the Aurender. The ER takes 3-4 seconds so having it powered up already takes that out of the possibilities.

Every switch you put in the path between router and endpoint increases the DHCP latency. One thing to try with this is to replace the ER with a cheap unmanaged switch. Don't just take the ER out, but REPLACE it with another switch. If the issue is the extra latency of the ER, replacing it with another switch may have the issue. If it does then we have some important information to try and figure out what to do.

John S.

John:

FYI, the Aurender is an always on device. It goes into a soft stand by when not being played, but the only way to do a hard shutdown is a few step process, Aurrender strongly encourages and is designed to be always on. 

On 5/12/2021 at 3:33 AM, Ahura77 said:

Thank you @Pokey77 for the info. 

I am using Aurender N100H with ER.

My cables are Supra Cat8 (at A side) with Sablon 2020 ethernet cable (at B side).

As I said it is not related with cable. I tried also with other cables. Same issue.

Maybe this problem it is related more with Aurender N100 model but I am not sure. 

For reference, I am also using Aurrender model N100H. 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:16 PM, James Stephens said:

Ok here it is folks .. the ultimate anti-vibration shelf for my ER + AfterDark Clock + 2 x LPS 1.2's:

18" x 11" x 1" Granite

4x Herbies Giant Fot Dots

18" x 11" x 1.5" Walnut 

4x Iso Acoustics Gaia III Feet

Shelf weighs a little under 30 lbs (granite approx. 20 lbs and walnut approx. 7 lbs).

Feel free to laugh, or cry .. or hopefully in some cases be at least at little impressed?

Best,

James

0514210824.jpg

0514210825_HDR.jpg

0514210912c_HDR.jpg

Nice work!! I’ve made something very similar that I use as speaker stands for my Martin Logan Towers, with spikes under the speakers sitting on top. 
Recently, in an attempt to manage all these little pieces of gear I keep adding to my system (LPS 1.2’s, ER, ISORegen, etc), I installed a couple of wire management devices meant to manage your cables under a desk and it has worked out very well (with built in wire management as a bonus ). 
Only cost me $10 for each one too!! 

050F6624-D260-4E50-9311-BEE175EEEE52.jpeg

C6546478-1E82-427F-9426-DE2D3259B3AA.jpeg

89CCBE51-DF3B-4224-8967-891997C16A96.jpeg

Lol I need a decoder ring!

Van Nuys!  = super cool? .. or should I be saying "hella cool" since we are in So. Cal?

Sherman Oaks = I did a bunch of shopping for this tweak? ..... if so it would be very true lol ... 

(I'm an English guy living in New Jersey so bear with me!)

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

3 hours ago, Mouna said:

regarding the DX Filter....how about optimizing the little cable that connects it - how about a better quality cable - should improve the SQ - any ideas where to get a short version of a good inexpensive solution for this?????

I haven't found much, if any, difference in cables that are connected before the eR.  The cable from the eR to streamer/DAC/endpoint does make a difference in SQ.  The monoprice slimrun version makes running cables very easy, so that is what I use for the cable that doesn't matter (to me).   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Received two pairs DX Engineering ISO-PLUS Ethernet RF Filters last thursday. They are small light plastic boxes. The included short ethernet cables are shielded and look solid constructed. I found one filter do not have properly clamped cover and my curiosity what I have still from my childhood ( when I destroyed all my battery operated toys just for look what it is inside :D), do not let me use filter without take cover off.. When I found only two Halo rj45 connectors soldered to simple board with traces inside, no additional visible parts I was very skeptical about improvements.

I have several ethernet switches between my router and EtherRegen and choose try this filters between 27 feet long cat6 ethernet wire moded with JSSG treatment, conncted two Buffalo switches like most weaken point. To my surprise they are work. Noticed lower noise floor and improved overal musicality. To that point I was satisfy with my purchase.

Today morning after installing second pair between Buffalo switch and EtherRegen, this time connected with very good Sablon Audio Panatela Reserva LAN cable, I was blown away! The effect was much stronger, like on the first pair and found it is cumulative.  Right now I know what that mean hearing singer lips and breath movements!

Thank you to One and a half to discover this relatively cheap network filters, If I can voting for best tweak of the year, you have my vote.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000