IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I used to use this filter before I got my ER. 
I put it aside since it didn’t make sense to me anymore. 
based on the feedback here on the DX filter I think I will add it back before my optical module deluxe which sends single mode fiber to my ER, see if it makes any difference (I’m skeptical...)

1 hour ago, Stevem324 said:

Are users of the DX filters using the supplied short ethernet cables to integrate the filters into your system?

I am.  Folks elsewhere here have said that it's worth investing in fancy cables downstream of the ER but that it matters less upstream.

3 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Interesting - attached is the datasheet for the Halo FastJacks - is this device just two of these back to back?
Is the filtering purely just based on the magnetics included in these?

image.png.ef96f4a4d72904d53d0075e73b5cc62b.png 

fastjack-gigabit.pdf 508.96 kB · 8 downloads

Thanks for posting and to @roman410for the photos. The back to back is a convenience setup for us consumers, to have such an array with discrete 'regular' components would create more problems that it can solve.

Classic T filtering where the noise is most.

Pretty sure the EtherRegen has something similar to the Halo, so extra filters in series obviously has benefits.

By using effectively four of the Halo, there's then considerable hammering of noise, begs the question what if there were 8 in the chain..I'm not at home to find out. 

Nice job Halo and DX engineering!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

48 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I tried my BJC cable instead of the one that came with the DX.  I thought at first it was better but I went back and forth and concluded that the RJ45 that came with the DX is better.  I think the BJC is NOT shielded and the DX RJ45 is shielded...

ABSOLUTELY.  My main goal in my system has been to get streaming music to be of equal sound quality to my ripped CD's.  Playing my ripped CD's from Audrivana was always better than FLAC streamed.  I don't know why- but it bothered me.  With the addition of the DX and after one week of burn-in,, the difference in sound quality comparing ripped CD's played from Audrivana and the exact same CD's in FLAC streamed from my NAS using the Amazon HD music app. sound nearly indistinguishable.

This is what I was waiting for...       I believe I finally got there.

Right, so that's what was bothering me with streamed content, always sounded like listening to music on aircraft with tapes  just rubbish. Just gave up on it and the MQA on Tidal, lossy Spotify, toss in the towel.

Now that Apple is introducing lossless, there's a good opportunity to give streaming a second chance, and pressure for Apple to license 3rd party like Audirvana, Lumin and Roon.

42 minutes ago, One and a half said:

By using effectively four of the Halo, there's then considerable hammering of noise, begs the question what if there were 8 in the chain..I'm not at home to find out. 

The diagram was for one of FastJacks, in each DX filter there are 2, so 8 per unit, and DX recommend using a pair of units.

Hmm, just noted that shipping to Oz is equal to the DX purchase price ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Right, so that's what was bothering me with streamed content, always sounded like listening to music on aircraft with tapes  just rubbish. Just gave up on it and the MQA on Tidal, lossy Spotify, toss in the towel.

Now that Apple is introducing lossless, there's a good opportunity to give streaming a second chance, and pressure for Apple to license 3rd party like Audirvana, Lumin and Roon.

I am very excited about the apple news.  What I am wondering is if the itunes player will allow WASAPI exclusive mode for playback.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:51 AM, One and a half said:

Good luck with the DX units, and please report back your findings. 

Reduction of noise, whether common, differential mode, high impedance leakage currents in Ethernet transmissions has a profound influence on what can be heard at the speaker/headphone. Reduce that crud and the benefits are:

i) soundstage spread out and height increases

ii) removal of crud exposes to subtleties with small details in the music ('more air'), brushes and percussion more pronounced

iii) If there's depth in the recording, is available

iv) drums actually can sound like drums

v) instrument positioning with stability (no wandering)

I feel there's more unfinished pioneering work with computer audio, the weaknesses are not so much the DAC nowadays, but the source, computers, hard drives and their power supplies. 

The DX reduces common mode noise.  The eR reduces high impedance leakage differential mode and differential mode noise (if I have that right).  Is there anything else to address in the ethernet chain?  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

Guys can somebody share the link for the DX filters that compliment the Etherregen?

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

20 hours ago, One and a half said:

Interesting the use of the Sablon cable and thanks for sharing. Do you know if there is a screen and how it connected, is the cable directional, usually a clue. I only have CAT5e UTP as a baseline, maybe start at the B side with fine tuning of cabling with an audiophile grade cable. I do know that full shield cables are no good and have an adverse affect on the A side.

Sablon Audio Panatela Lan cable it is very stiff and have 5 layers of shielding. Also the last 2020 model it is terminated with Telegärtner cat8 specifications connectors. But how the shields are aplicated to the cable I do not have idea. 

But from my experience the effect of installing two pairs of DX filters was bigger like replace ordinary cat 7 cables on A and B side EtherRegen for audiophile lan cables.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

6 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

Has anyone tried placing a DX between modem and router?

That what I planning next. My Verizon Fios have ONT not modem, but is connected to router with lan cable. Also have more 5 lan wires where I can add DX filters, including one between EtherRegen and renderer.

3 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Hmm, just noted that shipping to Oz is equal to the DX purchase price ...

I am think they are still worth that price!

3 hours ago, PYP said:

The DX reduces common mode noise.  The eR reduces high impedance leakage differential mode and differential mode noise (if I have that right).  Is there anything else to address in the ethernet chain?  

jitter? Hopeful of a real time transmission,  but there are buffers everywhere. Never got an answer if jitter is stored in a buffer or not. 

There's signal integrity,  but I think the EtherRegen has that controlled, otherwise we would be hearing junk.

1 hour ago, roman410 said:

Sablon Audio Panatela Lan cable it is very stiff and have 5 layers of shielding. Also the last 2020 model it is terminated with Telegärtner cat8 specifications connectors. But how the shields are aplicated to the cable I do not have idea. 

But from my experience the effect of installing two pairs of DX filters was bigger like replace ordinary cat 7 cables on A and B side EtherRegen for audiophile lan cables.

I tried to talk with Sablon, maybe my English is not compatible, now up to the 6th email and no price mentioned, this is the 2020 model, only one they make. 

3 hours ago, PYP said:

Hi,

I think the high impedance (low frequency) leakage currents blocked by the ER are common mode.

The DX purports to block common mode RF but higher frequencies than the leakage currents I think.

I could be wrong ....  🙄

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

After a short break on the forum, I see that there is a new buzz about DX filters.
What is funny is that I was told on the forum that my Sotm Iso CAt 6 filter was not recommended. Too much filter kills dynamics.
And there The DX magically appears in all configurations.

So have you tried this Sotm filter in comparison to DX?
Does the DX work with a cat 7 or 8?

On my Sotm, there is a sense of connection. Is this the case for DX?

This pair of DX plugs like this?
Box> RJ45> DX fliter> RJ45> ER side A
and
B side ER> RJ45> DX filter> RJ45> Streamer

IMG_2305.jpg

On 5/17/2021 at 5:52 AM, One and a half said:

Interesting the use of the Sablon cable and thanks for sharing. Do you know if there is a screen and how it connected, is the cable directional, usually a clue. I only have CAT5e UTP as a baseline, maybe start at the B side with fine tuning of cabling with an audiophile grade cable. I do know that full shield cables are no good and have an adverse affect on the A side.

I don't think this is correct with regard to shielded cables. Shielded cables can be used very well, but only with the shielding connected on 1 side and draining to ground, but not to the ER.

Can anyone riddle me this?

It seems the two cables enclosed with the DX are shielded.

Uptown recommends staying away from such cables on the A side. 

Nevertheless, some people here report on a significant improvement while using those cables. 

What gives?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini]