IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Does distance between the devices and the filters matter? In other words, must each filter be near one of the two connected devices or is it enough just to have two filters between them?  I have CAT 6 running from a 48 port switch that is mounted inside a cabinet to a wall plate in my living room. From there, I have the CAT 8 Ghent running to the ER.  The simplest installation would be wall plate > supplied short cable > ISO-PLUS no. 1 > supplied short cable > ISO-PLUS no. 2 > Ghent CAT 8 > ER.  This puts two filters between the switch and the ER, with both on the ER side of the living room wall.  

Thanks for your help with this.

From the instructions that came with the DX, another experiment is:  Netgear switch > patch cable > DX #1 > supplied short cable > wall plate (in-wall cat 6)  > Ghent cat 8 > DX > supplied short cable > ER.   That is assuming it works with Cat 8.   Worth a try as an alternative, if you have that time and interest.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

From the instructions that came with the DX, another experiment is:  Netgear switch > patch cable > DX #1 > supplied short cable > wall plate (in-wall cat 6)  > Ghent cat 8 > DX > supplied short cable > ER.   That is assuming it works with Cat 8.   Worth a try as an alternative, if you have that time and interest.  

It definitely transmits the signal over CAT 8. I was just wondering if it passes along the benefits of filtration. I guess I can play with a few combinations and see what I learn. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

19 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

That’s exactly what I found with his previous Ethernet cable, especially where textural detail of classical instruments was concerned 

3 hours ago, roman410 said:

I have similar experience with Sablon S/PDIF digital wire. Found sounding too colored ( sweet ) to my ears, 

On the other side Sablon ethernet it is sounding on neutral side, natural and balanced without flashing any frequencies out. 

I agree that no frequencies are stressed on the sablon ethernet.  It is VERY balanced to my ears as well- just NOT as NAKED as other cables I compared to.

Has anyone tried the DX filters between two ER's?

I realize this is a violation of NOT placing the DX on the "B" side of the ER, but it is in a unique circumstance where there is another ER in the chain and so the "B" side of the second ER would still not have the DX filter.

32 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I realize this is a violation of NOT placing the DX on the "B" side of the ER, but it is in a unique circumstance where there is another ER in the chain and so the "B" side of the second ER would still not have the DX filter.

If someone sends me one, I'll try it and report back.  ^_^     My two are staying in place (after xfinity box and before opticalModule).  I think they are nearly settled in.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

20 minutes ago, PYP said:

If someone sends me one, I'll try it and report back.  ^_^     My two are staying in place (after xfinity box and before opticalModule).  I think they are nearly settled in.  

I have two more DX's arriving any day.  I am planning to place them between my NAS and side A of the ER as I have my first pair- like you between router and OM.

But my second ER should be arriving soon and I am curious to try the DX between the two ER's as well.

I am not technically minded AT ALL but perhaps someone can explain to me why the DX on side B is not recommended.  Why does it matter if it removes the noise before or after the ER does it's work???   I thought it is removing a different type of noise than the ER anyway.

I think it is better to use the DX before the EtherRegen(s)

Cat8 cables are not a problem at all. Supra cat8 etc. I think it is even better if you are very careful with the shields/ groundloops

Try also the afterdark constelllation ethernetcable, he is great.

Between two EtherRegens it is better to use optical/fiber cables.

In my case DX’s between router and the first EtherRegen. And from the last DX to the EtherRegen i use the afterdark constellation ethernet cable instead of the short DX cable to the first EtherRegen.

From the first to the second EtherRegen i use the afterdark project constellation fiber since a few days.

Both with great results. :-)

2 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

If it's not recommended to place a filter after the B port (as per John S), then common sense dictates the practice should be shunned when cascading ER's. Put differently, if the signal coming out of the DX on the B port side is somewhat degraded, then that flaw is carried on to the next ER. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

3 minutes ago, Mouna said:

I use the DX filters from Wall to Cisco 2960 Switch - on both sides + from Cisco to ER B-side -

with great success - more of everything -

My question now is:  Cisco  ER

Why do you bypass the ER moat? 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

3 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

I think it is better to use the DX before the EtherRegen(s)

Cat8 cables are not a problem at all. Supra cat8 etc. I think it is even better if you are very careful with the shields/ groundloops

Try also the afterdark constelllation ethernetcable, he is great.

Between two EtherRegens it is better to use optical/fiber cables.

In my case DX’s between router and the first EtherRegen. And from the last DX to the EtherRegen i use the afterdark constellation ethernet cable instead of the short DX cable to the first EtherRegen.

From the first to the second EtherRegen i use the afterdark project constellation fiber since a few days.

Both with great results. :-)

What cable do you use after your 2nd eR?

sorry wrong tab....

from Cisco to ER B-side via LAN > ER A-side >via fiber > second ER A-side so far the constellationwhich works already fabulous - but making it better is the goal...

to do that I get a double Buffalo 2016 from Adrian, which needs a 1GByte connection to work - when I connect via ER - B side to the buffalo there is only 100Mbs not 1 GB....

If I use the ER A-side will I have 1 GB output - remember I startd with ER B - side (with only 100MBs)

or is it negleciable and the 1GB will travel along with the ER and it only counts that at the end there is ER A-side with 1BG output - or is all lost at the very beginning with ER B-side.

If thats the case then no way to make it work as a switch endpoint - then I could only use it after the Cisco switch....any ideas????

1 hour ago, Mouna said:

sorry wrong tab....

from Cisco to ER B-side via LAN > ER A-side >via fiber > second ER A-side so far the constellationwhich works already fabulous - but making it better is the goal...

to do that I get a double Buffalo 2016 from Adrian, which needs a 1GByte connection to work - when I connect via ER - B side to the buffalo there is only 100Mbs not 1 GB....

If I use the ER A-side will I have 1 GB output - remember I startd with ER B - side (with only 100MBs)

or is it negleciable and the 1GB will travel along with the ER and it only counts that at the end there is ER A-side with 1BG output - or is all lost at the very beginning with ER B-side.

If thats the case then no way to make it work as a switch endpoint - then I could only use it after the Cisco switch....any ideas????

Why does yours double Buffalo 2016 ned a 1GByte connection to work?

You can via software set the ports to 100mb or 1GByte and I think that a 1GByte port always accept a 100mb line, because it is smaller. 

If it is a problem some preferred to connect the Buffalo to the A-side with both the Lan and the Fiber cable. 

12 minutes ago, basillus said:

Why does yours double Buffalo 2016 ned a 1GByte connection to work?

You can via software set the ports to 100mb or 1GByte and I think that a 1GByte port always accept a 100mb line, because it is smaller. 

If it is a problem some preferred to connect the Buffalo to the A-side with both the Lan and the Fiber cable. 

i will have to ask Adrian about that - which software will make that possible - thank you. basillus  - if this is not possible I just have to see how to keep the fast connection throughout the chain.....

24 minutes ago, Mouna said:

i will have to ask Adrian about that - which software will make that possible - thank you. basillus  - if this is not possible I just have to see how to keep the fast connection throughout the chain.....

The software app is “Business Switch Configuration Tool” but start with dl the manual. 

Maybe there are newer files in Japan, but here is the dl site in U.S. 

https://www.buffalotech.com/products/gigabit-green-ethernet-smart-switches#tab-downloads

53 minutes ago, basillus said:

The software app is “Business Switch Configuration Tool” but start with dl the manual. 

Maybe there are newer files in Japan, but here is the dl site in U.S. 

https://www.buffalotech.com/products/gigabit-green-ethernet-smart-switches#tab-downloads

thank you, basillus - I will ask Adrian about that since his switch is a sandwich of 2 and this might not work with it - it might need the 1Giga power...

profile_mask_2x.png

I cannot believe I missed this- but I am kind of absent minded.

I just looked at the back of my router and it has an optical output.  

Now, for those with experience, do I ditch my OM and just do direct from the router or because the OM has a linear PS, perhaps it is better to continue with router (with cheap wall wart PS) to OM by way of RJ45 and then OM to ER by optical?  

Ironically, with all the buzz about the DX, if I go the direction of router to ER by way of the optical, the DX is out...

I would appreciate some advice.
1 hour ago, Rsbrsvp said:
profile_mask_2x.png

I cannot believe I missed this- but I am kind of absent minded.

I just looked at the back of my router and it has an optical output.  

Now, for those with experience, do I ditch my OM and just do direct from the router or because the OM has a linear PS, perhaps it is better to continue with router (with cheap wall wart PS) to OM by way of RJ45 and then OM to ER by optical?  

Ironically, with all the buzz about the DX, if I go the direction of router to ER by way of the optical, the DX is out...

I would appreciate some advice.

I also have a router(Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP) with SFP to, but I connect its SFP with a 5meter fiber cable to a SFP to rj45 converter and the rj45 cable to my wireless accespoint. Its sound better this way, because the “noisier” wifi is placed were it does less harm and is “isolated” from your “Audio” LAN, because of the fibercable.

Have received my pair of DX filters today. Inserted between router and etherregen. I ve got a nice upcleaning with it. Much more than I thought. These DX filters and the Chinese cheap clock should be awarded the best tweak of the year!!

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

7 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Have received my pair of DX filters today. Inserted between router and etherregen. I ve got a nice upcleaning with it. Much more than I thought. These DX filters and the Chinese cheap clock should be awarded the best tweak of the year!!

Speaking of Chinese clocks:  has anyone found an improvement using sine wave output and an SMPS (vs. LPS)?  Thinking about adding an inexpensive clock to my second eR and keeping it simple.