IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

10 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Otrzymałem i zainstalowałem filtry DX Ethernet między modemem a moim modułem optycznym Sonore Deluxe, który poprzedza mój ER.

NATYCHMIAST BEZ SPALANIA usłyszałem bardzo znaczące ulepszenie dźwięku. Mówimy o poważnym „podniesieniu zasłony”.

Wiem, że pan Swenson powiedział, że poprawa będzie zależna od systemu i wahała się od braku poprawy do niewielkiej poprawy po umieszczeniu przed stroną A, ale moje uszy słyszą znaczną poprawę. Wiem, że audiofile mają skłonność do przesady, ale rozważałem swoje słowa przed ich napisaniem i jestem przekonany, że poprawa jest odczuwalna .....

Dziękuję „półtorowi” za polecenie tego naprawdę niesamowitego (i prawie darmowego) produktu. WSPANIAŁY.....

You may recall which filter you are writing about. Link please.
Will this filter work between modem and ER, without OM Sonore?

1 hour ago, pietka08 said:

You may recall which filter you are writing about. Link please.
Will this filter work between modem and ER, without OM Sonore?

I believe it is this one (two units):  https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/DXE-ISO-PLUS-2

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 5/7/2021 at 6:23 PM, JohnSwenson said:

It can also be caused by as simple a thing as a bad cable. Do not assume all Ethernet cables are always good. Probably somewhere around 10% of network problems such as this are caused by bad cables. 

John S.

Hi @JohnSwenson - I have been battling Roon dropouts since last June. On my 3rd network at this point with the same issues. When you say 10% of the network problems can be bad cables - is that a bad cable anywhere in the home network or would that bad cable have to be in the audio streaming path?

Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

Hi everyone

I face also some dropouts when using Etherregen in my chain. I tested my network connection without ER and no problem. When I add ER again to the chain, it seems that network issues starts. I use Aurender as a streamer .There is always a handshake problem with Linux based AURENDER streamer which can be very annoying.

Yesterday I turned off -plugged out devices and changed my hifi rack. When everything was in place turning on ER and waiting for  a proper handshake with Aurender was a pain. It took 30 minutes to be able to have a proper network which started with dropouts again after 30-40 minutes. If I search for root cause I can not say it is cable dependent because I can use ER +Aurender combination with same cables without any issue for some months. Whenever I turn off ER for some reason and connect each cable/device again the handshake do not start easily. As I mentioned I try many times (turn off ER,plug out ethernet cables and then plug in in a correct order etc.) to get the proper network connection.  Today in the morning it happened again. How I solved it? I plugged the ethernet cable which comes from WIFI extender directly to Aurender. When Aurender get the IP easily I plugged out the cable and plugged everything to ER again. That worked but there is no magica solution for this. You have to try again and again to have ER -Aurender handshake properly which is not easy. Anyway I am tired with this problem.

1 hour ago, Ahura77 said:

Hi everyone

I face also some dropouts when using Etherregen in my chain. I tested my network connection without ER and no problem. When I add ER again to the chain, it seems that network issues starts. I use Aurender as a streamer .There is always a handshake problem with Linux based AURENDER streamer which can be very annoying.

Yesterday I turned off -plugged out devices and changed my hifi rack. When everything was in place turning on ER and waiting for  a proper handshake with Aurender was a pain. It took 30 minutes to be able to have a proper network which started with dropouts again after 30-40 minutes. If I search for root cause I can not say it is cable dependent because I can use ER +Aurender combination with same cables without any issue for some months. Whenever I turn off ER for some reason and connect each cable/device again the handshake do not start easily. As I mentioned I try many times (turn off ER,plug out ethernet cables and then plug in in a correct order etc.) to get the proper network connection.  Today in the morning it happened again. How I solved it? I plugged the ethernet cable which comes from WIFI extender directly to Aurender. When Aurender get the IP easily I plugged out the cable and plugged everything to ER again. That worked but there is no magica solution for this. You have to try again and again to have ER -Aurender handshake properly which is not easy. Anyway I am tired with this problem.

I wonder if the cause of my dropouts / intermittent loss of IP address is same as yours (ER and Aurrender handshake)? 
Maybe it’s time to bring the issue to

Aurrender’s tech support and see if they can investigate, seems like I’m now at least not the only one? 

58 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I wonder if the cause of my dropouts / intermittent loss of IP address is same as yours (ER and Aurrender handshake)? 
Maybe it’s time to bring the issue to

Aurrender’s tech support and see if they can investigate, seems like I’m now at least not the only one? 

I do not believe you are the only one which faces some issues with Aurender -ER combination. When I wrote to Uptone Audio/Alex about this issue he also mentioned that it can take time for Linux based streamers like Aurender to find the network. That is one issue. When turned off ER and turned it on again you have to find a proper turn-on sequence. First turn on ER then plug the cables then turn on Aurender etc. 

However the dropouts /intermittent playback is another annoying issue. Which cables do you use? I am trying to understand if it is really a cable issue.

For all of your with Aurender issues with an ER here are a couple things to look into.

I have probably 20 linux based endpoints and don't have this issue, so I don't think it is a general linux issue.

One thing to try is to make sure the entire network system including the ER is powered up and running before turning on the Aurender. The ER takes 3-4 seconds so having it powered up already takes that out of the possibilities.

Every switch you put in the path between router and endpoint increases the DHCP latency. One thing to try with this is to replace the ER with a cheap unmanaged switch. Don't just take the ER out, but REPLACE it with another switch. If the issue is the extra latency of the ER, replacing it with another switch may have the issue. If it does then we have some important information to try and figure out what to do.

John S.

18 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

For all of your with Aurender issues with an ER here are a couple things to look into.

I have probably 20 linux based endpoints and don't have this issue, so I don't think it is a general linux issue.

One thing to try is to make sure the entire network system including the ER is powered up and running before turning on the Aurender. The ER takes 3-4 seconds so having it powered up already takes that out of the possibilities.

Every switch you put in the path between router and endpoint increases the DHCP latency. One thing to try with this is to replace the ER with a cheap unmanaged switch. Don't just take the ER out, but REPLACE it with another switch. If the issue is the extra latency of the ER, replacing it with another switch may have the issue. If it does then we have some important information to try and figure out what to do.

John S.

Thank you John for the reply and advise. If I can find another switch,

I will replace ER with this and test the result.

Let's see.

FYI - I am using an Aurender N10 with ER +and LPS. It connects immediately every time I change a cable, etc. I admit I very infrequently do this, but I've never had any connection issues. I'm using Super 8+ and Monoprice Cat 5e between router/modem and endpoint. See my sig for exact wire routing.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Thank you @Pokey77 for the info. 

I am using Aurender N100H with ER.

My cables are Supra Cat8 (at A side) with Sablon 2020 ethernet cable (at B side).

As I said it is not related with cable. I tried also with other cables. Same issue.

Maybe this problem it is related more with Aurender N100 model but I am not sure. 

On 5/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, Confused said:

There is part of me that is very skeptical about this kind of stuff, however, they are not particularly expensive and I am intrigued enough to have ordered myself a pair. 

I'll report back once they have been delivered and I have given them a try.

With a nod to @One and a half who I think was first to mention DX Engineering?

Quoting my own post here, but the DX Engineering ISO-Plus filters arrived today.  Remarkably quick delivery, pretty much within 24 hours or my order.

I'll try them at the weekend.

One question, there are two in the pack, are you guys using two in series or is just one sufficient?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

19 minutes ago, Confused said:

Quoting my own post here, but the DX Engineering ISO-Plus filters arrived today.  Remarkably quick delivery, pretty much within 24 hours or my order.

I'll try them at the weekend.

One question, there are two in the pack, are you guys using two in series or is just one sufficient?

Two DX's need to be used.  One by the router and one right before the ER or OM if you use one.

Give it one to two days to burn in.

I found that my one foot BJC RJ45 was better than the short RJ45 that came with the DX.  But even with te RJ45 that came with the DX, it is a nice upgrade,

9 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Two DX's need to be used.  One by the router and one right before the ER or OM if you use one.

I found that my one foot BJC RJ45 was better than the short RJ45 that came with the DX.  But even with te RJ45 that came with the DX, it is a nice upgrade,

OK, thanks, that all makes sense.  I should be able to get them installed tonight, but it will be the weekend when I should have some quiet time (noisy time) to have a critical listen.  So if they do need burn in, they should be nicely cooked before I sit down for a careful listen.

One will be immediately upstream of my EtherRegen, the other just after the router I guess.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I received my two DXEs today, just three days after ordering from the UK supplier.

I have used just one right next to the ER. I only have a 5m run of MeiCord from the 4G router but, even so, it seems to have had a positive effect in further lowering the noise floor a little. Subtle, but worth the money.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

I received my two DXEs today, just three days after ordering from the UK supplier.

I have used just one right next to the ER. I only have a 5m run of MeiCord from the 4G router but, even so, it seems to have had a positive effect in further lowering the noise floor a little. Subtle, but worth the money.

My results were much more than subtle, but I guess everyone's system and ears are different.

I do think you are supposed to place two DX's in that chain- and perhaps give them two to three days to burn in.

1 hour ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I do think you are supposed to place two DX's in that chain- and perhaps give them two to three days to burn in.

I don't think I have a big RFI problem here, partly because, as I've theorised before, running 4G internet appears to have a lot lower noise than broadband over cable or phone lines. This is confirmed (sound quality wise) by someone else I know, having also tried both kinds of internet feed.

I'm running a single filter because I'm not trying to 'overcook' the filtering but deliberately listening to the effect of just one at the end of the chain right before the ER.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On 5/12/2021 at 5:13 PM, Rsbrsvp said:

So I have now jumped on the bandwagon and have ordered a pair of DX filters.

The first DX will be installed just before the A-side of my EtherRegen.  Upstream of the ER I have a long ethernet cable between rooms that terminates directly into a MacMini running HQPlayer that I set up with a bridged ethernet connection.  The other ethernet port on that Mac Mini then plugs into my router. (I also have a second MacMini dedicated to Roon which plugs into the router).

I could install the second DX in a couple of locations:

1) It could go just before the long ethernet cable run terminates into the HQPlayer Mac Mini;

2) It could go between the HQPlayer Mac Mini and the router.

What do folks think makes more sense?

TIA.

5 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

So I have now jumped on the bandwagon and have ordered a pair of DX filters.

The first DX will be installed just before the A-side of my EtherRegen.  Upstream of the ER I have a long ethernet cable between rooms that terminates directly into a MacMini running HQPlayer that I set up with a bridged ethernet connection.  The other ethernet port on that Mac Mini then plugs into my router. (I also have a second MacMini dedicated to Roon which plugs into the router).

I could install the second DX in a couple of locations:

1) It could go just before the long ethernet cable run terminates into the HQPlayer Mac Mini;

2) It could go between the HQPlayer Mac Mini and the router.

What do folks think makes more sense?

TIA.

Yes install DX filter :

Router to mac mini

Mac mini to ER 

The Bridge connection is agnostic to the DX filter. Mac mini IMHO is on par with a router as far as noise produced is concerned. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA