IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Is anyone using the DX devices on a network that includes fiber in the music signal path or are you all using only copper?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

24 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is anyone using the DX devices on a network that includes fiber in the music signal path or are you all using only copper?

One DX filter in my setup connects the copper patch cable coming from in-wall copper to an OpticalModule which connects to the first eR via fiber.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

This is a graph from the instructions of common mode RF attenuation when using two filters:

IMG_0811.jpg

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

37 minutes ago, PYP said:

One DX filter in my setup connects the copper patch cable coming from in-wall copper to an OpticalModule which connects to the first eR via fiber.  

Ah, I see now that you mentioned that above.  I obviously spaced out.  Thanks for letting me know.  Sounds like the DX’s can help even when there is fiber in the path.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

6 hours ago, PYP said:

Interesting! So the DX also has a positive impact in a system like your upstream from fiber and two eRs in series. I was wondering about DX+eR vs 2 es, but I guess that has been addressed!

Hi all, 

I haven't tried the filters yet myself but I am excited by all the buzz!

There's a couple of ways I can see that the DX filters could improve things for folks. One would be that they block RFI from SMPS LAN equipment making it to the endpoint directly. But if you have an ER directly upstream of your endpoint isn't this RFI blocked by the ER?

Most likely I am thinking they help prevent the radiation of RFI from ethernet cables that is then (for some folks) being picked up by audio cables. 

Wouldn't JSSG ethernet cables also prevent this since they prevent the radiation of both high and low frequency EMI

from the cables?

I might have something incorrect above. I don't have PhD in this stuff! There might also be other factors at play .. so I'd be interested to hear from the experts!

My LAN equipment is all in the basement and there are no audio cables in the vicinity of the ethernet cables. Plus I am using a few JSSG ethernet cables in my basement already. Also I have a fiber run from an OM in my basement to the ER in my listening room where the only Ethernet cable is the one on the B-side of my ER so there's a few potential reasons to think the DX filters might not be effective for me.

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

Have the DX connected today, unfortunately they are for Europe including shipping and tax twice as expensive.
And unfortunately the power of the afterdark giesemann EVA went off by accident and I have to start the burn-in process again. So unfortunately I cannot report an SQ difference. Now I had already done very well from modem and router to my first EtherRegen, but will let everything play in again and will remove them in a week or two and report any difference.

48 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

Is the filtering purely just based on the magnetics included in these?

...and if so, is that the core effect of daisy-chaining multiple switches? Not speaking of the eReGen which has other enhancing functions by design.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

Based on the feedback here, I just ordered a pair of the DX filters to go between my WiFi extender and my OM Deluxe.  So far, all the advice that I've received here has elevated my system to levels far beyond what I had before coming here.  The ER, AfterDark Queen OCXO clock and the OM Deluxe all powered by LPS from Uptone and Paul Hynes have made a serious impact on my system.  The information shared on this forum is incredibly helpful.

Are users of the DX filters using the supplied short ethernet cables to integrate the filters into your system?

1 hour ago, simon_pepper said:

Interesting - attached is the datasheet for the Halo FastJacks - is this device just two of these back to back?
Is the filtering purely just based on the magnetics included in these?

Beyond my knowledge, but DX Engineering does say their device is "patent pending," and I don't see how that would be case if they simply use off-the-shelf connectors.  The connectors BTW grip very well. 

6 minutes ago, Stevem324 said:

Are users of the DX filters using the supplied short ethernet cables to integrate the filters into your system?

I am.  Both the cable connectors and the filter connectors work better than most connectors.  

1 hour ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Uptone should include a pair of DX's with the ER purchase.

Wholesale cost to them for huge quantities should be negligible..

They could always up their price $20 for their cost.  Nobody will complain when they here the results.

Are the effects of the filters increasing as they settle in?  Mine are.  

they work and incredibly well - for little investment just try them out - nobody can tell you how it sounds in your system - how much have we spent in expensive gear without the effect in relation to the money spent - this is a no risk story...

as is ERegen + daisy chained ERs...got my second today....burns in....connection between the two ERs via fiber works flawlessly....

they will later connect to the double buffalso switch from Afterdark - just wsiting for the PSU with 5A from Adrian to do this...

A loving thank you to you all who are contributing their findings - I love it!!!!!

easy to forget listening to the results - almost no time for it regarding the many changes through the recommendations here - the burning ins take most of the time....funny- or?