IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

1 minute ago, Ponkbutler said:

That’s exactly what I found with his previous Ethernet cable, especially where textural detail of classical instruments was concerned 

Yeah.   It is a pity to spend so much on these linear power sources, ER's, DX's, fanless PC's, all to remove noise to get maximum transparency and micro-detail and to then color it up...

But again, to each his own...

4 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I cant tell you how many I tested back and forth between cables of all types to confirm which I liked better and then a few months later tried again and changed my mind.  Could be to other system changes; could be my perspective changed.  Could be my analysis is not exacting enough.  Could be my mind is playing tricks on me., could be there is no difference.   The list goes on....

That's why before selling a cable or component that I have compared to another one which "I think" I prefer, I always wait a month or two to retest and confirm my previous conclusions.  That is what I did with the Sablon ethernet cable;  but who knows- perhaps I would change my mind if I tried again.

This is familiar.  That is why I think the first step in a comparison is to power cycle a few components and unplug and re-seat a few cables and then listen for a day.  It may be that you only need to power cycle one component and only for a few moments, which makes me wonder why the sound changes.   Since it is so dry where I live, I have theorized that there is static buildup.  At any rate, it seems that changing weather (temperature/humidity), age of the component (was it added within the last month?), mood, etc. affect listening impressions.  I tend to value consistent performance/sound.  Maybe it is better/more realistic to realize that the setup is always changing.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

10 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Yes I can.

To my ears and after careful analysis, the sablon cable is noticeably colored.  It is a sweet smooth coloring and a very beautiful coloring, but nevertheless clearly a coloring.  For those who enjoy this sweet and pleasant coloration,- any many will- the sablon is a great choice.

However, if your looking for a disappearing act, than the sablon ethernet cable is NOT the correct choice.  Even my $10 blue jeans is more "true to the source"; more transparent.  The ghentaudio is the most transparent and "naked of the three by a good amount and is also fuller sounding than the BJC.  If you want "naked" the ghent is stunning.  If you want smooth analogue sweetness, the sablon should be seriously considered.  

By the way- I have nothing against sablon.  Marc is a great guy and I bought two 2020 USB cables from him which are absolutely the most transparent usb cables I ever heard.  They are stunning and my clear reference.  I do not know why he went in the "coloration" direction with the ethernet cable- but I know many many people like it.  For me however, the smooth delivery covered up to much detail...

As always, I need to make a disclaimer that my ears are not yours.  I am confident of what I am hearing, but you may not hear the same....

I have also tried Ghent cable with sablon 2020 ethernetcable. I found the opposite. The Sablon cable is more dynamic and extended in both low and high frequences. This could be perceived as coloration by you?

I have Sablon both on the A-side and B-side and I hear an SQ improvement on A-side too.

I will soon receive the DX filters wich I intend to use inserted on the A-side between router and ER.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

16 minutes ago, magnuska said:

I have also tried Ghent cable with sablon 2020 ethernetcable. I found the opposite. The Sablon cable is more dynamic and extended in both low and high frequences. This could be perceived as coloration by you?

I have Sablon both on the A-side and B-side and I hear an SQ improvement on A-side too.

I will soon receive the DX filters wich I intend to use inserted on the A-side between router and ER.

"Perception" is the key word here. 

Just a few posts before, someone said he perceives almost the exact same issues with the previous sablon ethernet model.

In addition, I have read other posts in other forums claiming the sablon is way to smooth so I know I am not alone....  But- you have to be honest about what you hear as well.....    I just love the Ghent.....  Most detail and transparency I have heard yet....  To my ears- way more dynamic than the sablon as well.

I guess you and I have a different model of ear.  (ha ha)

40 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Ha ha , you would be shocked If you saw my ears....😉

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

43 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

yes, well, we all do, as per https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/blogs/ears-the-new-fingerprints:  

"All ears are the same, right? Wrong.

Ears are actually unique to each and every person, so much so that they are comparable in uniqueness to the fingerprint. Research has even suggested that ears may be a more effective identification tool than a fingerprint through the use of a new “image ray transform” technology. This technology shines beams of light on the tubular features of the outer ear, creating an image from the way light reflects off the ear’s curves."  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

For those who tried/preferred Ghent, what's the recommended criteria to choose between ET11 (CAT6a) and ET12 (CAT8)? Other than stiffness of ET12. To use on B-side of eR. Current is generic CAT7, so either should be a significant improvement (at least that is my expectation!).

40 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

For those who tried/preferred Ghent, what's the recommended criteria to choose between ET11 (CAT6a) and ET12 (CAT8)? Other than stiffness of ET12. To use on B-side of eR. Current is generic CAT7, so either should be a significant improvement (at least that is my expectation!).

Objectively, you're unlikely to hear any difference: 

But your perception might tell you otherwise, as Rsbrsvp admits:

13 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I cant tell you how many I tested back and forth between cables of all types to confirm which I liked better and then a few months later tried again and changed my mind.  Could be to other system changes; could be my perspective changed.  Could be my analysis is not exacting enough.  Could be my mind is playing tricks on me., could be there is no difference.   The list goes on....

That's why before selling a cable or component that I have compared to another one which "I think" I prefer, I always wait a month or two to retest and confirm my previous conclusions.  That is what I did with the Sablon ethernet cable;  but who knows- perhaps I would change my mind if I tried again.

IMO, audiophiles suffers from a nervosis in general: "Am I not getting the best out of my system?" Therefore, the quixotic pursuit of highly suspicious cables, racks e.t.c. If you stick to products professionals used, you'll save yourself money and emotional distress. 

My system is extremely revealing with an amazing sound (subjective of course). I don't hear any difference from cables with certainly, but I can clearly detect a mix that is not perfect. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Since we have gone off into the weeds with the DX Engineering ISO-PLUS filters:  I decided to gamble and ordered a couple of pairs.  (I guess I needed only one pair, but adding the second got me free shipping instead of a hefty handling charge.)

They got here quickly, but, when they arrived this afternoon, I realized something: the enclosed literature says, “Works with CAT5, CAT5E, CAT6 and CAT6A cables with RJ45 connectors.”  No mention of CAT 8.

I am running CAT 6 between router, NAS, NUC, switches, and wall plate in my living room, but then run Ghent CAT 8 from wall plate to ER side B.  (I connect the ER side A to my Sonore optical renderer using single mode fiber.)

I now wonder whether it even makes any sense to put one of my four filters between the wall plate and ER, given that I would like to keep using the Ghent cable, which I have found to be an improvement over the several flavors of CAT 6, 6A, 7 and 8 cables I have tried in that application.

The other three filters are connected between router and switch, NUC and switch, and NAS and switch.  I guess there’s no harm in trying the fourth filter between the wall plate and ER, but I suspect that, if the filter were effective in that setting, the instruction sheet would have so stated.

If I don’t use the fourth filter in front of CAT 8, I can connect it to a printer or the first FMC in a pair joined by multimode fiber that connects to the ultraRendu in my basement system.  (In that system, the second FMC is connected to the ultraRendu by a Cable Matters CAT 8 cable.)

I guess I don’t understand how these little DX Engineering boxes work well enough to make an intelligent decision about where they should be installed.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

15 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Since we have gone off into the weeds with the DX Engineering ISO-PLUS filters:  I decided to gamble and ordered a couple of pairs.  (I guess I needed only one pair, but adding the second got me free shipping instead of a hefty handling charge.)

They got here quickly, but, when they arrived this afternoon, I realized something: the enclosed literature says, “Works with CAT5, CAT5E, CAT6 and CAT6A cables with RJ45 connectors.”  No mention of CAT 8.

I am running CAT 6 between router, NAS, NUC, switches, and wall plate in my living room, but then run Ghent CAT 8 from wall plate to ER side B.  (I connect the ER side A to my Sonore optical renderer using single mode fiber.)

I now wonder whether it even makes any sense to put one of my four filters between the wall plate and ER, given that I would like to keep using the Ghent cable, which I have found to be an improvement over the several flavors of CAT 6, 6A, 7 and 8 cables I have tried in that application.

The other three filters are connected between router and switch, NUC and switch, and NAS and switch.  I guess there’s no harm in trying the fourth filter between the wall plate and ER, but I suspect that, if the filter were effective in that setting, the instruction sheet would have so stated.

If I don’t use the fourth filter in front of CAT 8, I can connect it to a printer or the first FMC in a pair joined by multimode fiber that connects to the ultraRendu in my basement system.  (In that system, the second FMC is connected to the ultraRendu by a Cable Matters CAT 8 cable.)

I guess I don’t understand how these little DX Engineering boxes work well enough to make an intelligent decision about where they should be installed.

I do not see nothing, way DX filters will not work with Cat 8 ethernet. They should be installed in pairs each on both sides the wire, with including 6 inch patch cables.

I will try  first only 1 pair to closest point on dirty side of ER, in your case on the end your cat 8 wire right before ER and other one close to last device( switch ?) before ER. This way will clean all your ethernet path including in wall connection.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

1 minute ago, roman410 said:

I do not see nothing, way DX filters will not work with Cat 8 ethernet. They should be installed in pairs each on both sides the wire, with including 6 inch patch cables.

I will try  first only 1 pair to closest point on dirty side of ER, in your case on the end your cat 8 wire right before ER and other one close to last device( switch ?) before ER. This way will clean all your ethernet path including in wall connection.

Thanks.  If I understand your post, I could put one filter between the wall plate and Ghent CAT 8 cable and another between the Ghent and the ER.  Is that what you suggested?  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Just now, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks.  If I understand your post, I could put one filter between the wall plate and Ghent CAT 8 cable and another between the Ghent and the ER.  Is that what you suggested?  

No, by the wall plate but closest to last device before ER, in the other room.

In my case I have Buffalo switch last device before my ER, connectected together with 3 ft ethernet.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

14 hours ago, Iving said:

Anyway - Perhaps we "audiophools" don't appreciate that "all ethernet cables sound the same". Researching remote control options, this morning I came across this video. Watch it to the end if you can. The "PPI" is hilarious!!!

The "PPI" button is indeed hilarious!!!

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

16 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Yes I can.

To my ears and after careful analysis, the sablon cable is noticeably colored.  It is a sweet smooth coloring and a very beautiful coloring, but nevertheless clearly a coloring.  For those who enjoy this sweet and pleasant coloration,- any many will- the sablon is a great choice.

However, if your looking for a disappearing act, than the sablon ethernet cable is NOT the correct choice.  Even my $10 blue jeans is more "true to the source"; more transparent.  The ghentaudio is the most transparent and "naked of the three by a good amount and is also fuller sounding than the BJC.  If you want "naked" the ghent is stunning.  If you want smooth analogue sweetness, the sablon should be seriously considered.  

By the way- I have nothing against sablon.  Marc is a great guy and I bought two 2020 USB cables from him which are absolutely the most transparent usb cables I ever heard.  They are stunning and my clear reference.  I do not know why he went in the "coloration" direction with the ethernet cable- but I know many many people like it.  For me however, the smooth delivery covered up to much detail...

As always, I need to make a disclaimer that my ears are not yours.  I am confident of what I am hearing, but you may not hear the same....

I have similar experience with Sablon S/PDIF digital wire. Found sounding too colored ( sweet ) to my ears, 

On the other side Sablon ethernet it is sounding on neutral side, natural and balanced without flashing any frequencies out. 

40 minutes ago, roman410 said:

No, by the wall plate but closest to last device before ER, in the other room.

In my case I have Buffalo switch last device before my ER, connectected together with 3 ft ethernet.

Does distance between the devices and the filters matter? In other words, must each filter be near one of the two connected devices or is it enough just to have two filters between them?  I have CAT 6 running from a 48 port switch that is mounted inside a cabinet to a wall plate in my living room. From there, I have the CAT 8 Ghent running to the ER.  The simplest installation would be wall plate > supplied short cable > ISO-PLUS no. 1 > supplied short cable > ISO-PLUS no. 2 > Ghent CAT 8 > ER.  This puts two filters between the switch and the ER, with both on the ER side of the living room wall.  

Thanks for your help with this.

Today I received more DX Engineering ISO-PLUS Ethernet RF Filters. This time installed pair between two Buffalo BS-GS 2016 switches connected together with 1ft Blue Jeans Cat 6a ethernet wire. So far I am using 3 pairs of DX filters, and effect of them it is cumulative and same time addictive too 🙂.