IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Oh yes!

One more test milestone to cross and we might start talking about the details of our new and very advanced USB devices.  But I need to be careful not to reveal too much too early because our past successes and innovation has drawn the attention of our competitors... 9_9

USB, not optical or dual coax...interesting...

Admit it, it is a device to prevent heavy USB cables to fall out of a USB socket! Similar things have been done before!

Ok, will keep waiting...

11 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

It looks like the that may actually be happening soon!

Indeed there has been a bunch of muonvment in the field lately.  
https://www.wired.com/story/muon-observation-particle-physics/

As you have been noting to me this past year, a lot of scientific progress gets made during and after pandemics and other world-changing events. Perhaps scientists have more time alone to ponder. 
9_9

It’s all WAY over my head though. 
So I hope nobody actually expects an UpTone muonREGENerator! Unless John can both build one and explain it to me… :P

1 hour ago, Confused said:

Excellent.

If you could generate me a pair of Muons that would be greatly appreciated.  (Just two would be fine, it is all I need)

image.png.ac45668c509135f6859727bc1cc754c5.png

Only with McIntosh ? 😓

😂😂😂😂

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

My bet is still that it is a usb to optical to usb device. But hopefully with 24 MHz external clock input and SFP modules.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I received my 3rd ER a few days ago. As expected, during the first 3 days, the SQ took a step back, as it takes time for the ER to settle in. In the present, my categorical conclusion is that adding a third unit gives the listening experience a boost—although not as much as when adding a 2nd one. In my system, rough edges are smoothed out, and some details come to the fore more distinctly. The sounds stage is a tad stretched out too. Again, it’s not a dramatic change, and some people may find it not the best-bang-for-the-buck, but I’m perfectly happy. 

Perhaps report the findings in 11 days from now?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I received my 3rd ER a few days ago. As expected, during the first 3 days, the SQ took a step back, as it takes time for the ER to settle in. In the present, my categorical conclusion is that adding a third unit gives the listening experience a boost—although not as much as when adding a 2nd one. In my system, rough edges are smoothed out, and some details come to the fore more distinctly. The sounds stage is a tad stretched out too. Again, it’s not a dramatic change, and some people may find it not the best-bang-for-the-buck, but I’m perfectly happy. 

Thanks for reporting this. My recollection is you were running 2 eR in series both with the supplied SMPS, and that you have tested the 2 eRs vs 1 eR with LPS 1.2. Have you tested the LPS on 2nd eR vs the 3 eRs?

17 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Perhaps report the findings in 11 days from now?

Something magical about the 13th?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

15 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for reporting this. My recollection is you were running 2 eR in series both with the supplied SMPS, and that you have tested the 2 eRs vs 1 eR with LPS 1.2. Have you tested the LPS on 2nd eR vs the 3 eRs?

I was running a cascade of 2 ER's with Keces P3, tethered to a REF10 SE-120. Those enhanced the sound sufficiently enough that I felt compelled to leave them in place. Not night and day, mind you. The 3rd ER is also tethered to the external clock and juiced up by an LPS-1.2. 

Extremely happy with the results. Don't think I'll tinker with it until a game-changer crops up.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

I received my second ER a few days ago.  Definite improvement.

What is interesting is that currently I prefer the OM out of the picture with two ER's in.

I find overall that I do not like the OM effect on tone even with one ER.   Things are brighter than without the OM.

I wonder if those SFP modules effect the tone and if there are SFP modules which are mellower?

Any advice would be appreciated...

3 hours ago, RickyV said:

My bet is still that it is a usb to optical to usb device. But hopefully with 24 MHz external clock input and SFP modules.

As suggested in this tread some time ago, we definitely need to move everything to digital signaling into fiber optics. It seems to be doable. Almost “easy” to do. Just read that tread. 

Digital external clock transfer would be a nice development. Would also end the discussion 50 vs 75 ohm. Not sure why 24 MHz ? Most of us using 10MHz clocks. 10MHz can be converted through a programmable fractional PLL to other frequencies, which I think is already done in some products with great success. 

I’m convinced the future is optical 😀

And we should use single mode ! And SPF/SFP+.

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Digital external clock transfer would be a nice development. Would also end the discussion 50 vs 75

I mean square wave signal, also has 50 or 75ohm impedance.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

What is interesting is that currently I prefer the OM out of the picture with two ER's in.

I find overall that I do not like the OM effect on tone even with one ER.   Things are brighter than without the OM.

I wonder if those SFP modules effect the tone and if there are SFP modules which are mellower?

22 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Thanks for reporting. I understand your eRs are connected through copper cable now. Have you tried using fiber between them? I also decided for a second eR instead of an OM, and interested in how material the link between both might be (fiber vs ethernet).

17 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The time it takes for the EtherRegen to break in minimum.

I sincerely hope some of you guys are taking the time to do rapid a/b testing after the burn in period 

Your regular ethernet vs ER (burnt in) 

Have you?

Thanks

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

2 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for reporting. I understand your eRs are connected through copper cable now. Have you tried using fiber between them? I also decided for a second eR instead of an OM, and interested in how material the link between both might be (fiber vs ethernet).

I did not eve think try fiber between the ER's.   I will hopefully try that today....

I connected my two ER's by fiber to compare to copper several hours ago.

I must admit, it is smoother in a similar way to when I use the OM, but tonally it is darker than when using fiber from the OM.

The smoothness that fiber brings to the table- whether by OM or by connecting two ER's together is something I am not sure about and need time to adjust.  If find that straight copper without OM is digging out more microdetail; that's my initial impression.  I could understand that someone may say that copper is more harsh or clinical relative to the smoother presentation of fiber.  The copper connection also seems punchier and more dynamic, but again, less smooth; perhaps grittier would be the description..

I certainly would not call the smooth effect of fiber a coloration.  It is smoother without coloring, I just feel that I am loosing detail and punch.  Adding attenuators to the end of the fiber cable makes things closer to the copper direction- kind of grittier and less smooth than fiber cable without attenuation but not as gritty and punchy as direct copper.

I really need time to digest this all as I am not sure about any of this , especially in light of so so many people preferring fiber over copper.  This reality makes me ant to give fiber more time for my ears to adjust because it is hard to believe that 90% or more of audiophiles who prefer fiber are wrong and I am right.  

Therefore- I will wait and give more time to both OM and fiber in general.

1 hour ago, Johnnydev said:

Try one of these between the EtherRegens:

I already have another highly recommended Finisar module.  I am skeptical to keep investing in these modules...  My thinking is that the differences will be subtle rather than significant.   Please correct me if this is inaccurate.  I have not experimented with other modules...