IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

14 minutes ago, afrancois said:

I see you have 2 EtherRegen’s. Did you hear an improvement by adding a second one?
I have an AQVox in front of the eR. 

Yes, in my system, there was a significant improvement with the second eR.  My network is rather simple:  ISP-provided router/wifi/modem box > in-wall 5e ethernet > ... therefore I haven't worked on improving the upstream at all.   All my improvement have been after the in-wall exits near my system.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 minutes ago, PYP said:

Yes, in my system, there was a significant improvement with the second eR.  My network is rather simple:  ISP-provided router/wifi/modem box > in-wall 5e ethernet > ... therefore I haven't worked on improving the upstream at all.   All my improvement have been after the in-wall exits near my system.  

Mine is a bit more complex. I have fiber optic core switch in between and a bunch of other stuff to maximize electrical shielding. An other important part of my network setup is that all WiFi antennas and computing power (servers) are far away from the audio equipment. All switches, routers, modem are on LPS’s. 

4 hours ago, PYP said:

I am interested in this set up. I hear sibilance with a lot of female vocals on streaming (but not on vinyl), so I am thinking that the sibilance that I am hearing is part of the digital harshness. I am using just one ER and hoping that a second ER will mitigate sibilance. What do you think?

On 3/10/2021 at 3:55 AM, musicguy said:

Just  got my ether regen from uptone.  

Just a question and if anyone can  provide a link   to burn in.   Does it need  it?   Ive never owned a net work switch.

???

Not much different from day 1 ... it is a nice upgrade in my system.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

3 hours ago, PYP said:

Well, all systems are different.   Can you can describe your system?  And has the eR been in your system, always powered on, for more than one month?

For my system, using fiber was helpful and isolated some HF noise.   Adding an external clock made a large difference after the HF noise was gone.   Adding an LPS to the eR also helped, but not as much as the clock.  

My suggestion would be to try to find the source of the harshness before sinking a lot of cash into more equipment.  There are many experienced folks here and hopefully they can help you figure out the weakness.  

I have ER>Lumin X1>Don sachs 2 tube preamp>Pass Lab X350.5>Soundlab electrostatic speakers. ER is constantly on-for the past 1 year. Peter Wie at Lumin recommended against a clock between ER and Lumin, but I don't know why.

41 minutes ago, chungjh said:

I have ER>Lumin X1>Don sachs 2 tube preamp>Pass Lab X350.5>Soundlab electrostatic speakers. ER is constantly on-for the past 1 year. Peter Wie at Lumin recommended against a clock between ER and Lumin, but I don't know why.

I would think your system sounds great and wouldn't have a HF issue.  Some questions come to mind:

When you remove the eR do you still have HF issues?  Better or worse?

What comes before the eR?   

Are you using the Lumin app or Roon?

Are you using the included SMPS or an LPS for the eR?  

The eR has a clock, so you already have inserted a clock.  The external clock can improve the naturalness of the sound, but that can considered later after you have good digital sound.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I have Paul Hynes SRT4 LPS powering ER. I am using Lumin app and ER is connected directly to the wall ethernet. I don't have HF issues per se, just some sibilance only on certain female vocals like Diana Krall. I like the way my system sounds overall. With or without the ER, there is sibilance on some of Krall tracks. 

2 hours ago, chungjh said:

I have Paul Hynes SRT4 LPS powering ER. I am using Lumin app and ER is connected directly to the wall ethernet. I don't have HF issues per se, just some sibilance only on certain female vocals like Diana Krall. I like the way my system sounds overall. With or without the ER, there is sibilance on some of Krall tracks. 

Maybe other folks can help.   I've never had a sibilance issue (except when gear or cables were breaking in), rather the issue I had was HF just not sounding completely natural.   It was subtle, but my ear is sensitive to that.  

I have no familiarity with the Lumin line, so don't know the sound signature or if other users have found sibilance issues.  I tend to look at the DAC/Streamer as the origin of those kind of issues.   Assuming that it isn't the recording itself.  

As we all know, cables can tip the balance of any system.  Perhaps you have already experimented with different kinds.

I've found, contrary to what many suggest, that powering all equipment from the same power conditioner works well.   A dedicated outlet to the power conditioner is optimal.   Previously, I used two dedicated outlets, one for amps and one for everything else.  Surprisingly, to me at any rate, that didn't work as well as one outlet.   

Hope you can track down the problem.   

13 minutes ago, PYP said:

Maybe other folks can help.   I've never had a sibilance issue (except when gear or cables were breaking in), rather the issue I had was HF just not sounding completely natural.   It was subtle, but my ear is sensitive to that.  

I have no familiarity with the Lumin line, so don't know the sound signature or if other users have found sibilance issues.  I tend to look at the DAC/Streamer as the origin of those kind of issues.   Assuming that it isn't the recording itself.  

As we all know, cables can tip the balance of any system.  Perhaps you have already experimented with different kinds.

I've found, contrary to what many suggest, that powering all equipment from the same power conditioner works well.   A dedicated outlet to the power conditioner is optimal.   Previously, I used two dedicated outlets, one for amps and one for everything else.  Surprisingly, to me at any rate, that didn't work as well as one outlet.   

Hope you can track down the problem.   

One of the ways for me to eliminate digital harshness was to replace all SMPS with LPS. I mean all, even for the coax amplifier from the tv/internet provider. Even all switches are on LPS. QNAP server running Roon server is far away and connected using fiber to eliminate any electrical noise coming from computers. I’ve gone to some really extreme measures to get the maximum out of my system. You have a very nice system but as I found out there is still room for improvement.

6 hours ago, chungjh said:

I must admit to hearing sibilant from Diana Kraal recordings. Since the Baaske isolator, Jcat net femto and bonding chassis and drives together I don't hear many cases , cause I normally stop listening and try something else. Lumin U1 for nearly two years now.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 4/10/2021 at 10:49 PM, One and a half said:

At the music server side.

Switch -> Baaske -> [Music Server jcat nic 1, nic 2] -> ER A side.

If you have two more, outgoing of switch to music server, the other in the drawer as spare.

I have an Aurender music server/ streamer / Player. 
I’m going into it with the eR, so as of now it’s:

Router/Switch -> Baaske -> eR A side -> eR B side-> Aurender -> usb -> DAC 

I have a second one Router/Switch -> Baaske -> Apple TV 

Not using the third at the moment. 
Seems like you’re suggesting that I just remove it from going into A side of eR prior to my Aurender? 
I do also have a Synology NAS attached to the same Router /Switch in my stereo rack, would it be beneficial at all between switch and NAS ? 

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2021 at 9:47 PM, rsctyslkr said:
This could be the shortest review ever ... The EtherRegen improved every aspect of my digital playback system. I was willing to pay $2,500 for this improvement and the only "tweak" that rivals it is when I added a PS Audio P15 Powerplant that cost me $6,000.

For those who need more. I read the reviews, mostly extremely positive and adjusted my expectations down because, after all, I had already paid so much attention on my system. Well, I wish I had a photo from when I played the first song, strike that, the first note of the first song, a guitar strum with enhanced clarity, depth, texture and less glaze. One note was all it took. Since then, two weeks in, I have enjoyed becoming more intimately acquainted with my collection. It has improved micro and macro dynamics, sense of air, instrumental separation, soundstage width and depth. My first thought was ... hmmm cleaner sound, but also more texture. You cannot lose. 

Ditto for me. I've owned one for over a year. I too, added a PS Audio PowerPlant to my system. It resulted in a surprising and significant improvement, but no more so than the EtherRegen.

On a sidebar, I just dropped in on the Uptone forum to check on what's been going on (I don't participate very often), and I noticed lots of talk about adding an inexpensive clock to the ER for improved SQ. It seems like dedicated followers are doing everything possible to squeeze the last ounce of performance out ot the ER.  It made me aware that Superdad could take advantage of this obsessiveness by announcing a new extreme upgraded "super version" of the ER that would be little more than smoke and mirrors, but I haven't noticed anything like that from Superdad. So is this guy a "super version" of an ethical merchant?       

I don't know why you say that, there are plenty of members who have added an external clock to the ER and heard the improvement, which is neither subtle nor unethical.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I don't know why you say that, there are plenty of members who have added an external clock to the ER and heard the improvement, which is neither subtle nor unethical.

I don't think I impled either of those things.  I was just stating that the interest in finding improvements for the ER is extremely strong. I'm considering adding a clock as well, but I'm happy with the ER as-is, and I've been too lazy to put in the effort to do the research on this subject.